The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ever wonder what that fiberglass front end saved you weight wise? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=307941)

Super73 09-24-2008 02:19 AM

Ever wonder what that fiberglass front end saved you weight wise?

Well, I bought a "game" scale. Checked it's accuracy with my home scale, myself and a chain. It was right on target.

My hood weighs 89lbs
The complete front end minus hood (inner fender wells, hinges/springs, fenders, nose piece, grill, headlights, harness) 150lbs..

Total weight, 240lbs. I think a Tilt glass probablhy weighs 50-60lbs or so with mounting hardware and headlights??

This is on a 63 C10.

ton*loc 09-24-2008 08:20 AM

Re: Ever wonder what that fiberglass front end saved you weight wise?

sweet does anyone sell one for a 86 ? :lol:

jkaylor68gmc 09-24-2008 08:46 AM

Thats awesome, weight sucks

prostreet1967 09-24-2008 01:49 PM

are u going glass?

djracer 09-24-2008 03:45 PM

My glass nose hood and chrome front bumper is less than 60 pounds

Super73 09-24-2008 06:12 PM

DJ, does that include mounting hardware ect? If I did one, it would most likely be a tilt not a lift off, so I would have to build some form of tilt tree. Then you have head lights, harness, grill (I won't be running a bumper).

djracer 09-24-2008 10:56 PM

I haven't actually weighed it but its really thin and light. It has a very basic tree. It's race weight glass.

Captkaos 09-25-2008 12:23 AM

I haven't weighed my US Body front tilt, but I can pick it up by myself. It can't weight much.... My 4" drop now needs another 2" to be down correctly...

GMC70c20 09-29-2008 12:55 AM

how much is a good glass front clip? for a 70 c10

Super73 10-01-2008 03:50 PM

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/chevgmc2.html

I'm thinking about doing it piece by piece on mine. God forbid someone hit's the truck ect, I can replace a glass fender. Plus it apears stock if the front doesn't tilt.. Think I'll buy the hood for now and put the fenders / nose piece on my x-mas list.

Captkaos 10-01-2008 05:00 PM

I don't see separate fenders on there?

The pics on there are US Body pieces, and they do make 64-66 fenders seperately....

Super73 10-01-2008 06:14 PM

Sorry bout that..

Captkaos 10-01-2008 06:24 PM

Are they there and I just missed them?

Marv D 10-01-2008 07:03 PM

The front fenders and hood on my 66 is U.S. bodysource 'street' weight stuff. Didn't save much of anyting except hunting for yet more rusted fenders. Their street grade parts are pretty heavy. The truck with a back half and the aluminum bed weighs 3380 before adding my pfhat @$$

Super73 10-01-2008 07:46 PM

That would be 260 less than what mine weighs right now with out me in it. Drop the 58lbs I saved on the bench seat / race seat conversion, 100lbs from the weight I added to the tailgate and say 50lbs on the hood, that should get me to 3,430ish with out me in it. I'm guessing the glass hod will weigh in about 30lbs where the factory one is 89lbs.

57sailplane 10-01-2008 08:39 PM

why did you add weight to the tailgate was it for traction? oh ya i almost forgot. have you put lexan in yet in the side and back glass.. also get you some plastic headlights with halogen bulbs.. dont save a ton but every little bit helps..

Super73 10-02-2008 01:32 AM

I had a spare GMC gate that was laying around (not the cleanest gate by far). Wasn't sure if I was going to need the weight or not so I filled it full of scrap metal before the last track outing.

Haven't touched the windows yet. What do you think it's save? It is street driven so working windows are a plus..

57sailplane 10-02-2008 10:01 PM

i am guessing in the 20 to 30 lbs range.. thats if you replace both side and back glass...

PA-IndianRider 10-04-2008 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv D (Post 2912332)
The front fenders and hood on my 66 is U.S. bodysource 'street' weight stuff. Didn't save much of anyting except hunting for yet more rusted fenders. Their street grade parts are pretty heavy. The truck with a back half and the aluminum bed weighs 3380 before adding my pfhat @$$

You're right Marv.... my US Bodyworks "one piece" is a WELL built piece...."STREET GRADE" which is STILL "lots" lighter than all of the STOCK/Steel stuff it replaced. When I have to move the fiberglass frontend around I can do it by myself.

With the "one piece" tilt I do plan to not only have it "tilt" but also be able to be completely "removed" ....STILL gotta firgure that out?????

I know the "race weight" parts that are made by US BODYWORKS (and others)are even "lighter" than what I have but I'm OK with what I have. Like has been said "ever little bit helps".

Super73 10-06-2008 12:35 AM

John,

Can you do me a favor and stand on your scale, then hold the front end while standing on the scale and tell me what the weight difference is. Would love to know what a front end would really save me.

Captkaos 10-06-2008 03:47 PM

Super73, I know for a fact that it will save you a lot of weight even at standard weight via US body, they can make then 50lbs if that is what you want. (special order) It is at my brothers shop, but the crate weighed more than the tilt. I can't weigh over 100lbs if that...

This is mine mocked on my truck. The suspension was a 4/6 drop with a 454, now it is more like a 1.5/6 drop with the fiberglass tilt and 6.0L.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/proj...ockup_pass.jpg

This is the truck BEFORE the frontend change.
http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/images/sue4impss.jpg

PA-IndianRider 10-14-2008 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super73 (Post 2918059)
John,

Can you do me a favor and stand on your scale, then hold the front end while standing on the scale and tell me what the weight difference is. Would love to know what a front end would really save me.

73..... been away from the computer & truck forum for awhile. Between not feeling so good lately & trying to "fix-up" the El Camino I picked up to use as daily driver I have NOT had the time do much "computer time.

When I get a chance I'll get a scale that will handle weighing my one piece fiberglass frontend.

Super73 10-18-2008 05:22 PM

Ok.. I broke down and bought one.. $1,575 with out shipping included. Their $1,099 price went up to $1,300. They are also doing a glass front bumper and mounting it to the front end.

So, it's a 1 piece presplit tilt with bumper and crating fee for $1,575.

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/ch...ltfrontcut.jpg

Between this, the seats, switching to manual brakes, and pulling the added weight from the gate, I should be somewhere around a 3,500lb race weight. I still need to put the 6 point in and add the anti-roll bar, so maybe 3,550-3,575? Much better than the 3,840 last time out and the 3,9xx it once was.

PA-IndianRider 10-19-2008 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super73 (Post 2935623)
Ok.. I broke down and bought one.. $1,575 with out shipping included. Their $1,099 price went up to $1,300. They are also doing a glass front bumper and mounting it to the front end ....... 3,550-3,575? Much better than the 3,840 last time out and the 3,9xx it once was.

I LIKE the weight savings.... BUT the "cool factor" of having a "tilt" is also important to a nostalgia-based" hot rodder like me.... in addition to having "ease" of access under the hood.....

73.... Do you plan on just mounting it so it just "tilts" or tilts and "lifts-off"?????

Mine did NOT come with the mounting hardware so I'll be anxious to see how it mounts. As i have mentioned here before.... I called "US BODYWORKS" about buying the mounting kit and they would NOT offer me any "part-service" or replacement parts.... nice products BUT NO post-sale "customer service".

Still going to get a platform scale and weigh mine when I can....

Super73 10-19-2008 08:58 PM

John,

I'm going to fab up my own mounts. Most likely use some angle or flat steel on the bottom of the frame rail. Then some 3/4" ID round tube welded to it. That will allow me to put a 3/4 bolt or pin through it. I'll do the same on the fiberglass front end, then fiberglass the metal to the front end.

The bolt/pin will most likely have a set up like a tow hitch where you pull the lock out then the pins and can lift the whole front end off after tilting it.

If you want, it will most likely be pretty easy to do, I could probably slap a second set together after I do mine.

2 minute drawing..

http://73-ls1.com/67trucksetlist/frontend.JPG