The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   47-55.1 Which Front Bumper Design Should I Run? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821698)

Gregski 05-12-2021 11:24 AM

Which Front Bumper Design Should I Run?

2 Attachment(s)
Whacha all think which of the following three front bumper options should I go with for my '54 Bullnose

1. Stock bumper normal stick out (or as stock as you can get it)

2. Front bumper no top metal shield tucked further under

3. Split bumper, aka second gen Camaro style

6DoF 05-12-2021 01:02 PM

Re: Which Front Bumper Design Should I Run?

i think i'd vote for an option 1.5, or 3. ... tuck it back right to the front lip of the grill without going under it, and cut back the filler plate, or the split bumper fully against the fender and cut at the grill bump.

would you do a "roll pan" behind the split bumper in the middle?

BC Toy chest 05-12-2021 05:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok here is something else to consider. HOW ABOUT curve the bumper with the grill. i included a really crude picture I drew but I think you will get the idea.

Actually i like the split bumper idea the best. It's your truck bro you do what you know best. Don't worry about what others think you are building the truck for you.

However i did include a couple other bumper ideas too. I hope this helps.

Gregski 05-12-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Toy chest (Post 8920075)
Ok here is something else to consider. HOW ABOUT curve the bumper with the grill. i included a really crude picture I drew but I think you will get the idea.

Actually i like the split bumper idea the best. It's your truck bro you do what you know best. Don't worry about what others think you are building the truck for you.

However i did include a couple other bumper ideas too. I hope this helps.

luv the curved bumper idea but not sure i can pull it off, and them other ones are
cool but they are the much simpler 55s

mongocanfly 05-12-2021 06:09 PM

I'd tuck it close...and trim the shield to fit
That curved to fit bumper idea is cool...would take alot of work to get it right

layinrocker65 05-12-2021 10:44 PM

100% stock bumper and cover as close to the grill as you can get it.

Gregski 05-15-2021 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
let's just say it was a split decision

BC Toy chest 05-15-2021 11:43 PM

:metal:VERY , VERY Nice !! :metal: Came out real well.

mobileortho 05-24-2021 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to decide on a contoured or a roll pan myself. I've spent the last few days trying to figure out how to reshape the bumper to match the grill. I didn't find any "how to" links but I did see that Briz makes a contoured bumper. The only thing I see I don't like about the Briz (besides the price) is that it says that the mounting holes are not predrilled and that Briz brackets are recommended. I'd prefer if the mounting bolts weren't visible.

mobileortho 05-24-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8921145)
let's just say it was a split decision

You know, I kinda like the split look too!

Gregski 05-24-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8924239)
I'm trying to decide on a contoured or a roll pan myself. I've spent the last few days trying to figure out how to reshape the bumper to match the grill. I didn't find any "how to" links but I did see that Briz makes a contoured bumper. The only thing I see I don't like about the Briz (besides the price) is that it says that the mounting holes are not predrilled and that Briz brackets are recommended. I'd prefer if the mounting bolts weren't visible.

I agree, no bolt heads sticking through it would also make for a nice clean look, if you can get that bumper raw before they chrome it then you could weld the studs to the back of it or some U shaped brackets to feed the hardware behind the bumper

Gregski 05-24-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8924243)
You know, I kinda like the split look too!

ha ha, thanks, it was the path of least resistance, plus like I said I had a front bumper that was completely cracked in half and I love re purposing bits

mobileortho 06-03-2021 09:43 AM

I shopped around and found the roll pan at Sachse Rod Shop for $149 so I ordered it. Got an email the next day from them letting me know the shipping would be $79 due to the size of the box!! No thanks, order cancelled!

Gregski 06-03-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8928266)
I shopped around and found the roll pan at Sachse Rod Shop for $149 so I ordered it. Got an email the next day from them letting me know the shipping would be $79 due to the size of the box!! No thanks, order cancelled!

Smart move, I will update this post and show you a direct link to the "Roll Pan" I got for my '54, on the pic it looked like it was a nice piece stamped from a single piece of metal, what arrived, I could have made myself, total crooked junk

mobileortho 06-04-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8928273)
Smart move, I will update this post and show you a direct link to the "Roll Pan" I got for my '54, on the pic it looked like it was a nice piece stamped from a single piece of metal, what arrived, I could have made myself, total crooked junk

Who did you order yours from?

Gregski 06-04-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8928630)
Who did you order yours from?

AMAZON, but I'm realizing you are thinking something for the front and to me Roll Pan means butt of the truck, ha ha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mobileortho 06-08-2021 09:42 AM

I came across pics of this truck on Brothers Truck parts. Not a fan of the bed, but love the bumper!

https://blog.brotherstrucks.com/2017-best-of-show/

Gregski 06-10-2021 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just another idea if it was a FORD

6DoF 06-11-2021 08:39 AM

:lol:

Dan in Pasadena 06-11-2021 10:00 PM

Stock

mobileortho 08-04-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8924245)
I agree, no bolt heads sticking through it would also make for a nice clean look, if you can get that bumper raw before they chrome it then you could weld the studs to the back of it or some U shaped brackets to feed the hardware behind the bumper

These guys make a smooth chromed bumper.