The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   shim fender or move door ??????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=184810)

QKENUF4U 01-04-2006 09:29 AM

shim fender or move door ???????

my drivers side fender is awful close to my door. close enough the PO shimmed the crap out of the top of the fender to move it OUT away from the door :crazy:
so can i shim the fender FORWARD or do i have to move my door BACK ?? the door is perfectly lined up with everything and i hate to move it (if i can)
thanks
lance

1971LT1SWBPOSI373 01-04-2006 02:35 PM

Re: shim fender or move door ???????

If your door is lined up good around the door opening then it should be good to go. How is the gap betwwen your cowl and the back of the hood? Because if you loosen the fender and slide it forward a bit that will change the hood gap betwwen the hood and the cowl, making it wider.

wibilly 01-06-2006 01:46 AM

but the hood will move back fit the door to the opening best you can and fit every thing else from there door fit is most important to seal out wind and water so its the place to start

1971LT1SWBPOSI373 01-06-2006 09:27 AM

wibilly is right. Everything else will adjust.

72CSTC5 01-06-2006 06:49 PM

Loosen the two lower core support bolts and try pulling it forward some and then tighten the core support back down. You can also adjust left to right this way and then adjust your hood last.

ureckme 01-08-2006 05:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
It sounds like a bad cab mount or the ajustable braket at the core support is to high. And what happend to that call. I have worked on a lot of these trucks. I have had mine all apart even though its newer

LONGHAIR 01-08-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Loosen the two lower core support bolts and try pulling it forward some and then tighten the core support back down. You can also adjust left to right this way and then adjust your hood last.
I wouldn't adjust the hood last. The hood has a definate relationship to the cowl. It has to be properly spaced away from the cowl and square to the truck's centerline.
If you adjust the fender to door gap first and later (like adjusting the hood last would do) find out that the fenders are not square.........you lose the adjustments you made to the fender/door gap. If you have to shift the fenders to fit the hood, you have moved them in relation to the door.

Starting from scratch..........I would install and adjust the doors for the best fit first. The biggest area that the doors fit into (the cab) is not really adjustable. So fit the doors to the "holes" (up/down/rear edges) and lock them down.....done. Then the fenders/hood together as a set. The hood has to be there to adjust the fenders and the fenders have to be there to mount the hood hinges. They all kinda need to work together. If you mount and adjust the fenders first and then the hood..........you will end-up moving the fenders again.