The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   70 Grille Surround removal? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=830215)

custom10nut 01-25-2022 03:41 PM

70 Grille Surround removal?

I am about to take my Grille Surround off my 70, in order to fix some scratches and polish it, along with the rest of the trim.
I looked through all the Prior Threads in the Search bar that mention Grille, and none of them mention where or how many screws/bolts hold it in place.
Can anyone help me out?:smoke:

fun in dirt 01-25-2022 03:58 PM

Re: 70 Grille Surround removal?

I don't remember how many exactly but too many :lol:
Several of the 5/16 into front fender at top & bottom and then several small screws that hold to the center hood latch support. It's a pain & some fit very tight. At least use blue tape to protect your paint when re-installing it. Not to be a discourage, but I would seriously consider just leaving it on the truck to do the work & mask it off.

Accelo 01-25-2022 05:44 PM

Bumper also has to come off. Mark the Special screws for the hood latch. They are 12 point not hex like the rest. Should be returned to the same place.
There are 4 bolts on each side bracket where it attaches to the fender. They take a 1/2 socket.
Then two on top and two on the bottom of the center support. The lower one is smaller than the others.
Then a couple on the hood latch. Depending on how you take this apart, still attached to the center support or not.
Accessing the fender bolts is the most difficult. I would try a extension with a ball socket style wobble.

custom10nut 01-26-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun in dirt (Post 9024482)
I don't remember how many exactly but too many :lol:
Several of the 5/16 into front fender at top & bottom and then several small screws that hold to the center hood latch support. It's a pain & some fit very tight. At least use blue tape to protect your paint when re-installing it. Not to be a discourage, but I would seriously consider just leaving it on the truck to do the work & mask it off.

Thank you for the insight.
I would leave the shell on the truck, but in order to “Strip/Polish/Buff the Bright work, I’ll have to take it off the truck.
And thanks for the “Taping tip” :metal:

custom10nut 01-26-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9024524)
Bumper also has to come off. Mark the Special screws for the hood latch. They are 12 point not hex like the rest. Should be returned to the same place.
There are 4 bolts on each side bracket where it attaches to the fender. They take a 1/2 socket.
Then two on top and two on the bottom of the center support. The lower one is smaller than the others.
Then a couple on the hood latch. Depending on how you take this apart, still attached to the center support or not.
Accessing the fender bolts is the most difficult. I would try a extension with a ball socket style wobble.

Thanks for the insight.
I have to take my bumpers off anyway, so I can sand down and repaint them.
Good tip on marking the bolts, to make sure they get back to the right spot.
What I do on a complex project like this is to put the bolts on a piece of cardboard with pictures, just because I can’t remember everything, and just putting them in “Labeled bags” doesn’t always work.:smoke: