The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Metaldoc 01-09-2019 12:34 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
Making filler pieces from scratch

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-09-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8439705)
If you rotate the shaft in the A-arm before you install it, it will move fore and aft within the A-arm to center it.

I ended up benching the bushings onto the control arms without the shafts, and then reinstalled them with the shafts mounted. You can't help be off more than a pinch center. For the most part I put equal turns on the bushings all the way through, and they wrenched on fairly smoothly. Couldn't tell you what 90 and 100 ft. pounds is using a crescent wrench, but they're probably close. I'll let the alignment gang work that one out.

66clow 01-09-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmarkd (Post 8418192)
Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Since that post, we have had 14" of snow, downed trees, Christmas road trip, then 8" of rain and flooding. Oh, and the old engine in the truck started knocking (joy).

Anyway, got to it tonight. The whole process worked out much better than I feared. My goal in all of this is for the drip edge to be weather tight, not looks.

Before the Christmas road trip, I had sprayed on a coat of 2K Epoxy primer that I got in a rattle can from Advance Auto (who knew?). Primarily because the 3M instructions indicate to apply this on a 2K primer or bare metal. This will be the beige color in the pics below.

Along with the 3M 8307 Self Leveling and the 3M 8308 heavy body, I also ordered the 3M gun (3M P/N 8571).

Attachment 1852632

I started with the vertical portions of the drip edge and laid down a pretty thick bead of the 3M 8308, starting right at the top of the upper curve. Then I simply used a gloved finger to smooth it out, trying to press it into the seam without squeezing it out. I left the beginning of the bead pretty thick, so it will act as a dam for the self leveling 8307.

Attachment 1852629

I also had a spot at the upper right corner where there was about a 1/8" gap between the roof skin and the rest of the metal that I filled with a small bead of 8308. Once both sides were done, I let it cure for about an hour, then took the 3M 8307 and got after it. Starting on one side, I began filling the drip edge, and worked my way around to the other side. The 8307 is definitely thinner than the 8308 and leveled out nicely.

Attachment 1852630

I then let that cure for about an hour, then masked off the cab and sprayed a coat of basic white rattle can primer over the newly sealed drip edge. Nothing fancy.

Attachment 1852631

Is the 8307 too thin to run down the sides? Looks great, will be doing this.

OL SKOOL 01-10-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodnRudy (Post 8437427)
And a few more of the rust repair and speaker hole.

Nice work on the patch panels. I have the exact repair to do on my door. How do you get the edge bent over to go over the inner door. I can see from the speaker hole pic looks factory perfect. I have to admit i'm kind of a stalker for your vermillion red truck. Thanks

Metaldoc 01-10-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodnRudy (Post 8437994)
I finished up welding up the patch for the ugly speaker hole in the door this afternoon Also I picked up this nice E brake cover at the swap meet this morning. Thanks Todd, nice meeting you.

Nice work, you've done this before. That blue E brake cover doesn't match your color but it does mine. I wouldn't even put it on just give it away to someone with a blue truck. I have a blue truck. Can you take some pics of the other side of it so I can decide to make one or keep looking.
Thanks man.

Canuckvetter 01-10-2019 11:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My good friend Robert was on his way to have his buddies restored. I asked if I could trade him my 68 console cushions for his 67. I replaced the rotted ply wood, give them a little scrub, added some Gorilla tape & a flash coat of Fawn Beige lacquer. Good enough for a 67 driver.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1547176723

Metaldoc 01-11-2019 12:24 AM

[QUOTE=Canuckvetter;8440909]My good friend Robert was on his way to have his buddies restored. I asked if I could trade him my 68 console cushions for his 67. I replaced the rotted ply wood, give them a little scrub, added some Gorilla tape & a flash coat of Fawn Beige lacquer. Good enough for a 67 driver.

Hell ya nice score and nice reconditioning.

Metaldoc 01-11-2019 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got all my filler pieces done

Canuckvetter 01-11-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8440941)
Got all my filler pieces done

Are you going to paint them black or body colour?

Metaldoc 01-11-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckvetter (Post 8440944)
Are you going to paint them black or body colour?

I've been playing on 3D paint with the two colours and I'm leaning towards black. The blue pulls away from the engine and makes it look small. I'm going to paint the under side of the hood which will brighten the look

SoCoC10 01-11-2019 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed a Saddle Cheyenne Super seat cover from Larry @ Truck World.

tdangle 01-11-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 8441045)
Installed a Saddle Cheyenne Super seat cover from Larry @ Truck World.

Looks great. What is the link to them?

SoCoC10 01-11-2019 01:40 PM

Larry is old school. No link because there's no website. His PayPal is an AOL address. PM me and I can help you if you want to buy Truck World products.

TruDom 01-13-2019 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
finishing the fine tuning of everything before inspection/registration... so close to cruising!

RodnRudy 01-13-2019 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TruDom (Post 8442478)
finishing the fine tuning of everything before inspection/registration... so close to cruising!

Like the truck!
I didn't get anything done to mine as I was busy running the snow thrower Sat. and today. Winter has finally arrived in Central Indiana

Metaldoc 01-13-2019 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Must suck to have snow, It's a good thing I live southern Ontario Canada, we don't have any. So I spent the day in the shop. New LED bulbs in 5050K color is perfect. Doesn't need a dimmer looks just right.

zicc1835 01-13-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruDom (Post 8442478)

Beautiful truck

Drew94st 01-14-2019 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rainy day in San Diego. Prepped hubcaps for black paint.

Kevin7723 01-14-2019 10:44 PM

I changed out the door lock cylinders with new ones so that my doors could actually lock. Before the rain hit here I was also able to install the new repo wiper arms and wipers along with my parking brake handle

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-16-2019 12:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed the oil pump and pan, and detailed some spots missed underneath. I was concerned about settling, because the POR15 is heavy. But in hindsight, it have been better to rotate the block when I originally brushed the paint on.

I installed the battery clips at the 2nd and 4th 5/16" bolts from the front, and the transmission lines retainer 3rd from the front. I'm not 100% sure that's what is was from factory, though suspect it is.

EDIT: And yeah they're two different colors. Two completely different situations. The guy who painted the pan took a paint sample, and he's the best for many miles. But two completely different situations. I brushed three coats of engine enamel on the block. The pan was sprayed with automotive paint, primer'd and clear coated. The oil pan looks darker to me, someone else says lighter, but then I'm shade blind.

I tried brushing the pan, and came close before I (*^)^ed with it. Then I proceeded to strip it. I wasn't planning to brush the valve covers anyway, so yeah, the valve covers vary as well. I'll try to enjoy it with the black and Ochre, and some engine compartment specials.

Call me crazy, but somehow the shade variance is lost when it's right side up, and the valve covers were sprayed with the pan.........Hmm. Maybe I'll spin it sideways, see what happens then;)

tino0217 01-16-2019 03:56 AM

Installed upper shock absorber brackets. Took about n hour n 20 minutes per side but I'll sleep better knowing it's done. No pictures but if your truck needs it , do it

Mts67C10K20 01-16-2019 08:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started stripping engine for removal
Next will be some engine bay cleaning and some paint
Before the new engine goes in

Andy4639 01-17-2019 10:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Out with the old 3 on the tree column and in with new to me tilt for 4 speed. I made this tilt out of a auto tilt by shaving off the indicator and gear lever.:chevy:

SoCoC10 01-17-2019 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tear down complete on the 71 K10 Cheyenne. Going back to the original Hugger Orange on Saddle she came from the factory with.

Redneck Rydes 01-17-2019 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put lowering spindles and a 4 inch shackles in rear. Building this one for the wife,so we can cruise and go to some shows this summer