The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   any ideas for headliner in suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=373933)

thermoman 11-28-2009 10:46 AM

any ideas for headliner in suburban

my new suburban cam with a headliner, but its missing some pieces. was wondering if there is a source for the masonite type material that GM used for the headliner in these trucks???? or maybe someone out there has used something else that turned out nice??? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! here is a pic of mine

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...1/PB260460.jpg

vectorit 11-28-2009 02:36 PM

Re: any ideas for headliner in suburban

No one is reproducing the masonite style that GM originally used.
I am making mine right now out of a material that is used in mobile home showers, kind of a melamine paneling but it's thin enough to bend for the headliner.
I tried using the white backed masonite from Home Depot, and it turned out to be too rigid to easily manipulate into the slots to hold up the panel. Was very frustrating, and I just trashed it all and went to the much thinner stuff. So far it looks to be working prett well.
I think there are others on the forum that have done it, so maybe they can provide a picture? I saw a burb at a truck show that did this, and it was very nice.

You are lucky that you have at least the rear piece to make a template out of, since that's half the battle right there is getting it cut to fit right.
Care not to break that chrome plastic that snapps onto the bows, since those aren't being reproduced yet either.

IAFF2407 11-28-2009 05:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used abs plastic, traced out the existing panel. the back sections were easy and the side curves gave it strength. The front was more difficult because of the compound curves. I upholstered mine so I worked the front differently then non upholstered ones. I installed the front panel and marked the stress point of the curves (tried a heat gun first) then pulled the panel and cut a slver out at the marks wide enough so they wouldn't overlap. then re-installed the panel. when I was happy with the fit I glued a strip across the front and corners to hold it in place.

for my burb I'm trying to eliminate as much noise as possible. I first used dynamat, then glued 3/8" high density foam. I installed a stip of sheet metal to attach a custom console later. I glued 1/4" HD foam to the new panels and then another layer of 1/4" soft foam. and then a layer of man made leather. I used a heat gun to form the ABS plastic to the right curve, this is so the upholstery won't wrinkle when installed.

for the bows I used 1/8" stainless steel bands, attatch to the factory bows to hold the heavier panels up. I don't like how many screws were needed to hold them up tight so in the future I will be buy 1/4" bands, take one of the supports down and form the SS to the right curve. this will eliminate all but the center screw.

TIPS;
buy the HD foam in rolls (ebay) not folded! the creases in the folded foam will have to be steamed out (if it can) or it will show through the upholstery.

I used two layers of ABS because of the extra weight of the foam.

make sure you sand all glossy areas of the ABS and HD foam for the best adheision.

Clear coat the stainless steel, looks better and easier to keep clean.

this maybe not the direction you are going, but others have asked. sorry if I hijack your thead,

Al.

thermoman 11-29-2009 11:55 AM

hey al.

that looks pretty sharp man!!!!

i am missing a couple of my trim pieces to hold up the headliner....i think i am going to try and find some originals, but will probally have to find another source for the material.

thanks for sharing your pics, charles

bondo510 10-04-2015 02:32 PM

Where did you get the abs at?

Waynecar53 10-04-2015 06:34 PM

Hello, this question comes up all of the time. As others have said no one is making a repop kit. I used a product called FRP that I got from Lowes. The 3 sheets cost about $100 plus a few dollars more for the trim strips. The width of the sheets allows you to do the roof in 3 sections. There are pictures of my headliner and how I did it in an older post of my '69 GMC ambulance that you will find listed as "mylatesttoy" posted under my previous name smfdco1.

Bigdav160 10-04-2015 06:59 PM

I've been told the perforated hardboard headliner material can be purchased from REM Automotive

djolley 09-07-2022 07:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another option....

52napco 10-04-2022 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Putting the replacement kit in mine...it's almost done but recommended having a shop do the installl..it's not a dyi job.

HO455 10-05-2022 01:07 PM

Is that the fabric and bow headliner? I've never seen one installed. Does it come with welting or something else for the sides and ends?
It's looking good!

52napco 10-05-2022 04:08 PM

Yes it's the fabric style with bows. I think I paid $256 for it and my interior buddy had to supply the welting...he's one of the best around and did the same one in the 72 K10 Suburban that I sold my buddy and he charged $600 to put it in..but it does look good and should get it back tmrw.