The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

72c20customcamper 06-04-2023 09:04 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9209237)
Probably my all-time favorite truck color!

My dad had a gold 67 Impala 2dr hardtop with gold vinyl interior. Probably a different gold, but it was super cool!

The saddle fawn poly that’s on my stepper is a little lighter and has more metallic than the anniversary gold .

Casper42 06-04-2023 12:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attended the C10 Truck Show in Enumclaw, WA. 200+ C/K-10's from all around the PNW. Found my "taller twin". The red/white '72 took best 67-72. I'm pretty certain this truck has every conceivable option and all items are original, though not factory on this truck.

Steeveedee 06-04-2023 01:30 PM

Took some turpentine and paper towels to the engine to get a bit of the oily guck off of it. I'll get it a bit at a time. Not big on pressure washing, and the caustic cleaners have only the storm drains to go to, so that's out.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-04-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9209433)
Took some turpentine and paper towels to the engine to get a bit of the oily guck off of it. I'll get it a bit at a time. Not big on pressure washing, and the caustic cleaners have only the storm drains to go to, so that's out.

I've used an engine degreaser that's citrus-based. Not too harsh, and your engine bay smells like a bag of oranges for a while. I'll have to dig to remember the product name. They still make it, but stopped promoting the Citrus angle on the label. Of course I'm partial to oranges. My 292 is Chevy Engine Orange, and I resprayed the valve covers on the Jimmy's 350 in C.E.O. for my asmusement. A Mr Goodwrench crate motor, it was a boring black.
:chevy:

zicc1835 06-04-2023 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
radio in........ Thank God the PO didn't cut any deeper

pjmoreland 06-05-2023 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned and painted a set of under-seat brackets for the jack handle and lug wrench. These are for buddy bucket seats. The passenger seat doesn't slide forward, which makes it difficult to access the cab corner stowage locaton.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-05-2023 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9209636)
Cleaned and painted a set of under-seat brackets for the jack handle and lug wrench. These are for buddy bucket seats. The passenger seat doesn't slide forward, which makes it difficult to access the cab corner stowage locaton.

Nice work.
I just hide a Farm Jack under the in-bed tool box.

pjmoreland 06-05-2023 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9209648)
Nice work.
I just hide a Farm Jack under the in-bed tool box.

That's handy. I don't even have a spare, but I figure I could at least hitch a ride with a flat tire to go get it repaired or replaced.

67C10Step 06-05-2023 09:21 AM

There is a swap meet and car show about 1.5 hours west of me and plan on taking my truck up this year. Not to be in the show, of course, but will be its first trip over an hour in one direction. SO, I had a short list on the white board in my shop (yes, I have a white board where I keep lists of things to do) to run down before the trip. Since I will be out of pocket this weekend and in Iowa the entire week following I knocked the list out over the weekend.

Checked front wheel bearings.
Checked tire air pressure.
Greased front end and drive shaft.
Checked gear oil in transmission and rear differential.
Checked lug nut torque.
Checked brake fluid.
Checked coolant level.
Changed oil and filter.

67C10Step 06-05-2023 09:23 AM

Sorry, double post

72c20customcamper 06-05-2023 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted the cowl and fender . My make shift spray both worked great

pjmoreland 06-05-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9209850)
Painted the cowl and fender . My make shift spray both worked great

You turned that around quick. At least it wasn't your hood that got the wrong color.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-05-2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9209649)
That's handy. I don't even have a spare, but I figure I could at least hitch a ride with a flat tire to go get it repaired or replaced.

More ironic than handy.
I took off the under/bed spare carrier off a few years ago to mount a Class III hitch. I will need longer threaded rods to mount the 235/85/R16s I'm running now. If the carrier clamps too tight, it will spill the air at the bead seal, and you find you've been carrying a flat spare since forever.

Danyo492 06-06-2023 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up an LQ4 for my 67 build this weekend.

72c20customcamper 06-06-2023 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danyo492 (Post 9210185)
Picked up an LQ4 for my 67 build this weekend.

Nice .

72c20customcamper 06-06-2023 07:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the drivers side bearings and brake shoes done . I put the races in the chest freezer overnight a couple of light taps and they were seated it’s the only way to go. Specially with the big inner bearing race everything went together nicely no profanity involved . The passenger side is tomorrow I checked the fluid and there are no metal shavings so the bearing that was on its way out didn’t contaminate anything . Verified it’s a 4.10 and it was made 8-28-71 so it’s most likely original .

pjmoreland 06-07-2023 01:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed a set of under-seat jack handle/lug wrench mounting brackets.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-07-2023 03:25 AM

Looks nice, Pat.
Personally, I prefer the cruciform type for better leverage and a two-handed grip, and you can spin the nut once it's loose, and spin it on.
But I see where you're going with your Stepside -- back in time.

67C10Step 06-07-2023 08:46 AM

pj, nice and thanks for the photo. I still have all mine from my 67, just have not re-installed and I didn't take a good photo when I pulled it all out. This should help a bunch.

72c20customcamper 06-07-2023 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9210336)
Installed a set of under-seat jack handle/lug wrench mounting brackets.

So that’s what those brackets are for . I’ve been scratching my head as to what they did

pjmoreland 06-07-2023 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9210384)
So that’s what those brackets are for . I’ve been scratching my head as to what they did

I always wondered what those ridges were for on the cab floor.

72c20customcamper 06-07-2023 08:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the 72 back together and was doing a check on the drivetrain and found a bad ujoint at the pinion. I had checked the ujoints for slop but I got no movement but visually you could see they were shot , I had changed them all 4 years ago when I did the carrier bearing with inexpensive ones from autozone won’t be doing that again , when I the shaft off the ujoint just fell apart . Guess I found the vibration . Going to do all four

'68OrangeSunshine 06-07-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9210540)
Got the 72 back together and was doing a check on the drivetrain and found a bad ujoint at the pinion. I had checked the ujoints for slop but I got no movement but visually you could see they were shot , I had changed them all 4 years ago when I did the carrier bearing with inexpensive ones from autozone won’t be doing that again , when I the shaft off the ujoint just fell apart . Guess I found the vibration . Going to do all four

Lucky you caught it now. If that had parted on the road, bad things would've happenned.

zicc1835 06-07-2023 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9210540)

Yah ...think ....glad you found that probably not as happy as you are

72c20customcamper 06-08-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9210542)
Lucky you caught it now. If that had parted on the road, bad things would've happenned.

That would have been a bad day still can’t believe that when I grabbed the driveshaft and tried to move it up and down there was no movement at the joints most likely so much rust and powder it wouldn’t move

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9210544)
Yah ...think ....glad you found that probably not as happy as you are

Well at least I averted a problem with the bad wheel bearing . I’ll feel better now when the wife is driving the truck .