The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   So what do you think about Cub Cadet's new style of mower? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=661768)

TJ's Chevy 02-27-2015 11:12 PM

So what do you think about Cub Cadet's new style of mower?

At the shop/store where I work we just got our new shipment of cub cadet riders. Loving the new style of the xt1. :metal:

http://content.floridamower.com/medi...t50_rt_shd.jpg

ERASER5 02-28-2015 01:08 AM

Re: So what do you think about Cub Cadet's new style of mower?

Cub or MTD? Hard to tell....

68C15 02-28-2015 01:17 AM

Cub cadet used to be top quality from what I've heard. Now they are just as big a piece of junk as all the others.

Restrorob 02-28-2015 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 7069132)
Cub cadet used to be top quality from what I've heard. Now they are just as big a piece of junk as all the others.

They were before MTD bought them out, now their a cheap POS along with everything else MTD builds.....

special-K 02-28-2015 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry this seems to be going the wrong way, TJ, but in my case you're asking the wrong guy about style. I am stuck on old style and to me they had it right in the beginning. I'm not knocking quality or commenting on MTD, I mow with antiques and they cut my grass as cut as any modern looking tractor cuts. Just sold the goats last year when they stopped producing milk.

I think it's funny how lawn tractors to heavy equipment is all aerodynamically styled now. All I know is there ain't a place to set your coffee where it won't tumble over. These new Cadets look like a turn in a better direction. how's that for agreeing?

Palf70Step 02-28-2015 08:49 AM

Reminds me of the TroyBuilt mowers from about 8-10 years ago. I agree with special K, although I prefer the nicer seats of today compared to those hard metal ones. Makes my butt hurt just thinking about the old Allis Chalmers.:lol:

Aero Dynamics on tractors :rolleyes:

jjzepplin 02-28-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7069347)
Sorry this seems to be going the wrong way, TJ, but in my case you're asking the wrong guy about style. I am stuck on old style and to me they had it right in the beginning. I'm not knocking quality or commenting on MTD, I mow with antiques and they cut my grass as cut as any modern looking tractor cuts. Just sold the goats last year when they stopped producing milk.

I think it's funny how lawn tractors to heavy equipment is all aerodynamically styled now. All I know is there ain't a place to set your coffee where it won't tumble over. These new Cadets look like a turn in a better direction. how's that for agreeing?

Now that is exactly what I am looking for right there. Bet it even has a PTO.

flashed 02-28-2015 11:14 AM

I like the old tractors better but for my grass cutting I like my Kubota zeroturn ,very fast and mows good.

TJ's Chevy 02-28-2015 11:30 AM

Wow. This thread seemed to have gone down hill fast.

chip46wis 02-28-2015 01:16 PM

Sorry about the people that run off like this----I like the new cubs and my current Cub Cadet mower has OUTLASTED both of the John deers I had

flashed 02-28-2015 06:12 PM

Guys I dont knock MTD mowers ,I used many of them for years with great service but needed something bigger and better for acreage .I had a MTD tiller that worked great for many years and sold it after getting a new one free .I have never owned a Cub Cadet but like the old style one pictured above .

TJ's Chevy 02-28-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7069962)
Guys I dont knock MTD mowers ,I used many of them for years with great service but needed something bigger and better for acreage .I had a MTD tiller that worked great for many years and sold it after getting a new one free .I have never owned a Cub Cadet but like the old style one pictured above .

Its all good, never said you did. lol Nothing wrong with preferring older equipment.

chipflyer 02-28-2015 09:31 PM

I'll never be without a green one myself but 30 years ago they all built heavier better machines. Even Deere got into the throw away market with the machines that are sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Not the same thing as the bigger more expensive Garden tractors sold at a dealership.

special-K 03-01-2015 12:07 AM

I like it better than the prior style. It's a step in the square direction like the oldie I showed. hey Bill, They offer seat pads for these. I had me a yeller one on my JD 110, same vintage.

Palf70Step 03-01-2015 08:33 AM

K....my uncle was cheap, so we got none of them fancy city boy seat pads. :lol:

xRAY76 03-01-2015 09:21 AM

looks better than the older ones...

i bought a Husqvarna last year and have regreted it since...what a POS

Leinie 03-01-2015 11:40 AM

I look underneath before I care how the hood looks. They all have the same junk k46 transmission that is not designed to pull anything, or even go up anything but the slightest grade on a regular basis.
The Cub GT50 is the lowest model with a decent tranny, anything under that is comparable to the Husqvuara, John Deere junk sold at the box stores.

Dazzle them with hp numbers and deck size and send them out with a cheapo frame, tranny , steering and deck.
They all do it to compete at a price point.

sboris 03-01-2015 12:00 PM

Good looking mower. Bet it does a fine job. First thing I look for though is a welded deck vrs. a stamped deck for durability. Tore up many a decks..

TJ's Chevy 03-01-2015 12:02 PM

My 06 cub cadet is an lt1045 with a kohler v-twin. Has been through the worst and lasted me just fine. Basic maintenance has kept it going. I have the bumpiest fields and the biggest rocks....the the blade spindles have cracks all over and recently dad ran over a log and jammed it between the blades....spindles are fine....deck is fine...and blades where sharpened...and yes...this is an MTD/ cub cadet. And yes...husky is a pos. Last year we had several mowers come in with broken blade spindles that we replaced with MTD spindles...they've been fine since. But unless you actually work on them for a living like I do, Don't judge them to much. Cub cadet is still close to top of the line...also easiest to get parts for. It really all boils down to how well you take care of your equipment. A stihl will run great as long as its cleaned up once in awhile( air filter cleaned ect..) but because alot of people are to lazy to keep their saws clean are you gonna call it a pos when you have a saw dust plugged air filter that chokes the machine from air? No. lol I agree, nothing is like it was. But you have to admit, they've come a long way. And we still haven't had complaints from our customers about cub cadet either. And I work on these for a living, and cub cadet is one of the easiest to get parts for and work on. And I've pulled wheelies with them to. :lol: And I did do a burnout with a craftsmen once. :chevy:

sboris 03-01-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7069347)

Man that is knarley. A buddy of mine and his boy have a couple of those. They turned them into pullers! A sanctioned group I believe that travels around the state competing haha. Pretty fun to watch really. About the only time I see those ol work horses around anymore.

Restrorob 03-01-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7071075)
And yes...husky is a pos. Last year we had several mowers come in with broken blade spindles that we replaced with MTD spindles...they've been fine since.

TJ,

Do you realize you were able to install those MTD spindles in the Husky's because they are also built by MTD as well ?

Quote:

But unless you actually work on them for a living like I do, Don't judge them to much.

Just to let you know TJ, I've been in the lawn and garden equipment sales and service industry for over 30 years. I've seen what use to be nice good equipment evolve into the crap we have today, it's just like everything..... Thinner steel-more plastic and just flat out cheaply made.

Quote:

I work on these for a living, and cub cadet is one of the easiest to get parts for and work on.

I beg to differ here TJ,
How do you like having to un-bolt the engine just to get a new drive belt around the stuck crank pulley ?

How about having to remove the rear fender just to access one nut holding a idler pulley in place ?

Then there's the solenoid crammed inside the dash up under the battery, there's a few more that I wont get into...... The saying in my sig came about due to work'n on MTD products, I've seen some really stupid engineering and changes over the years......

I will give you this TJ, if it weren't for MTD and the big box store machines, I'd have a lot less to work on..... ;)

special-K 03-01-2015 09:24 PM

It really all comes down to the grass seed

TJ's Chevy 03-02-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restrorob (Post 7071675)
)

I hear what yer saying, have ran into those situations myself, course...I've pulled engines out of riders so many times it doesn't faze me much anymore. My lt1045 is shaft driven hydrostatic, but the blade belt can be a pain to change.

slowcpe 03-02-2015 07:34 PM

I like the looks of it. May research it a little further.

I'm going to break down and buy a rider here in the next month. I've put it off and finally decided I'm done push mowing my yard. I'm currently leaning heavily towards the JD X300 but the tight-wad in me doesn't want to part with that much money. Just looked at their new S240 today and not sure its worth saving $500.

People seem to love their Deeres and there's a pretty big dealer here in town with a good service and parts department.

I'm still researching though. Its my favorite part about a build/purchase.

special-K 03-02-2015 08:36 PM

Does it mow grass?