The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   55.2-59 Flatout C4 install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816261)

iceman4 12-29-2020 10:32 PM

Flatout C4 install

In the process of installing the Flatout front IFS kit. According to the instructions the stock front cross member can be trimmed to allow space for the rack and pinion. Have looked at several build threads and the cross member was removed and replaced. Has anyone trimmed and retained the original cross member with the Flatout install? If so a picture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

58CameoAZ 12-30-2020 04:55 PM

Re: Flatout C4 install

I chose to remove the stock front crossmember in my truck,(Flat out Kit Front & Rear)
just my opinion, I think it looks Cleaner, can i ask, why are you thinking of Not taking it out?

Allen

iceman4 12-30-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ (Post 8856560)
I chose to remove the stock front crossmember in my truck,(Flat out Kit Front & Rear)
just my opinion, I think it looks Cleaner, can i ask, why are you thinking of Not taking it out?

Allen

It appears most people agree with you. I could not find a single picture/ build that showed the crossmember trimmed.
Thought It would be better to trim and keep the original, I guess I like the look of the over built curved crossmember with all of the rivets. I trimmed it, will post pics if its good ,in a few days . i

58CameoAZ 12-30-2020 11:26 PM

I think that is great that you are keeping it, it's your truck and dont let others influence you.
I have seen a few with the cross member still intact, I just chose to delete it. I wish you the Best with your truck!

Allen

Kevin_C 12-31-2020 12:05 PM

I removed mine. I would have needed to trim a lot of it and then patch it. Boy I don't miss trying to remove those rivets...

jwhotrod 12-31-2020 01:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
attached you will find my installation, you will find you don't have to remove the crossmember. i did have to trim the backside to clear the rack mounting. added the support tubes because the notch went deeper than i liked. have fun. this is a 55 Chevy frame, and it is upside down on the rotisserie,

Dan in Pasadena 12-31-2020 01:29 PM

Also agree with your truck/your choice. Mine was removed - but I had to go check my old pictures to remind myself.

PS: I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have much difficulty removing rivets other than protecting my face from red hot flying metal. I ground off the rivet heads top and bottom then used a punch the same diameter as the rivet shaft and a BFH to drive it out. Usually with only a couple hits.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...370&fit=bounds

jwhotrod 12-31-2020 01:46 PM

i didn't want to remove it due to the fact you loose the core support mounting which sets up the locating for all the front sheet metal. i have done the same thing when they told me i had to remove the crossmember to put the mustang II suspension in my 35 Chevy sedan. didn't remove it there as well.

ndeep 12-31-2020 10:02 PM

i removed mine, just to clean it up. but i think the core support bolts to brackets on top of frame rails, not to crossmember

iceman4 01-01-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ (Post 8856774)
I think that is great that you are keeping it, it's your truck and dont let others influence you.
I have seen a few with the cross member still intact, I just chose to delete it. I wish you the Best with your truck!

Allen

Thanks Allen, Will see how it goes, fingers crossed.

iceman4 01-01-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhotrod (Post 8856955)
attached you will find my installation, you will find you don't have to remove the crossmember. i did have to trim the backside to clear the rack mounting. added the support tubes because the notch went deeper than i liked. have fun. this is a 55 Chevy frame, and it is upside down on the rotisserie,

Super strong! Serious amount of fab work there, The weakening caused by the C notches is a consideration.

iceman4 01-01-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8856960)
Also agree with your truck/your choice. Mine was removed - but I had to go check my old pictures to remind myself.

PS: I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have much difficulty removing rivets other than protecting my face from red hot flying metal. I ground off the rivet heads top and bottom then used a punch the same diameter as the rivet shaft and a BFH to drive it out. Usually with only a couple hits.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...370&fit=bounds

Dan, read your build page, lots of great info there!
Removing rivets can be a PIA, but nothing is easy, for now will retain the crossmember. Can remove it if necessary with my BFH. LOL

iceman4 01-10-2021 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ran into a delay, and wanted to share.

I was ready to tack in cross member and mock up for centering wheel in fender when I leveled the cross member side to side and front to back. I checked the angel on the upper A arm attachment points. I saw there was over a 1 degree difference side to side. I was concerned because the package was damaged when delivered. The box had large holes in it and was rough handled. Don got back to me and emailed that the variation is not unusual and can be shimmed when they do the wheel alignment.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else sees this as they install a cross member. I will be moving ahead with my installation now.