The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   poll (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773340)

Red71gmc 10-15-2018 11:24 AM

poll

Assuming same year, condition and options on a 67-72. How much difference in price would you consider for a short fleet side compared to short step side?

Lets use 10K for the short fleet side value? How much for the short step side?

cypressbog 10-15-2018 11:45 AM

Re: poll

Edited because I have zero reading comprehension.

I've always been partial to the step beds so my opinion doesn't count.

Coley 10-15-2018 12:02 PM

Ok, first to answer your question...how much price difference?....for me, very little...maybe $1000.
For me it would be more dependent on overall condition rather than what box is mounted on it.

I'm ok with the shorts...but in my opinion their value is dropping given the ease of converting a long bed over the weekend to a short/fleet.

As a result, the proliferation of short/fleets out there...particularly yet another lowered truck running 20-22" tires...are fast becoming a garden variety of classic truck...at least for me.

By the same convention, you don't see that many steppers...and as a result, I'm more partial to them.

On a personal note, clearly the uniqueness of a classic vehicle has appeal to me...and as soon as a trend becomes as rampant and common as lowered/short/fleets/20"+ wheels.....essentially I'm out.
I'm the same with Camaro's....which suddenly seem to all be SS/RS 396's...lol.

All Good!
Coley

flashed 10-15-2018 12:29 PM

I think for most the short fleet is more popular but to me , I have both , I would pay the same if condition for both were the same .

kwmech 10-15-2018 12:48 PM

A short bed truck to me is a toy. One for hod rodding. I used to have a 69 short step with a built 454. Really fun truck. Not practical for me when having to move or haul something. Long beds or flat beds for the moment. Pricing? like stated with the availability of parts now, converting to a short is not all that big of a deal if done correctly

71threequarterton 10-15-2018 12:54 PM

I thought the question was between fleet/step, not short/long...

That being said, if the two were in the same condition and the only difference was the step/fleet bed, I wouldn't want to pay any more for one or the other but that's just me.

Red71gmc 10-15-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8364860)
Ok, first to answer your question...how much price difference?....for me, very little...maybe $1000.
For me it would be more dependent on overall condition rather than what box is mounted on it.

I'm ok with the shorts...but in my opinion their value is dropping given the ease of converting a long bed over the weekend to a short/fleet.

As a result, the proliferation of short/fleets out there...particularly yet another lowered truck running 20-22" tires...are fast becoming a garden variety of classic truck...at least for me.

By the same convention, you don't see that many steppers...and as a result, I'm more partial to them.

On a personal note, clearly the uniqueness of a classic vehicle has appeal to me...and as soon as a trend becomes as rampant and common as lowered/short/fleets/20"+ wheels.....essentially I'm out.
I'm the same with Camaro's....which suddenly seem to all be SS/RS 396's...lol.

All Good!
Coley

good points made!
everyone else too

cornerstone 10-15-2018 11:44 PM

I've wondered the same thing in the past. I may see a decent short step come available on CL or in someones yard and then ask myself, Is that a worthy flip truck by putting a fleetside on it? Then I priced a complete bed and said, nope! I believe on a 10k stepside the same truck with a factory fleetside would be 12k. Just a guess...

71sierragrande 10-16-2018 12:01 AM

Both are hot little street machines. Could buy a bed and have it painted and sell the old one, or keep it and switch em every six months too..:-). Not much diff in price for me

Chevyland 10-16-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red71gmc (Post 8364828)
Assuming same year, condition and options on a 67-72. How much difference in price would you consider for a short fleet side compared to short step side?

Lets use 10K for the short fleet side value? How much for the short step side?

8-9k
I believe fleet sides are a bit more popular
And there is a larger audience for them

tutone 10-16-2018 07:07 AM

I personally would pay more for a short fleet. I like the option of upper and lower trim on a truck. My wife loves steppers and I do too in the 55-59 chevy trucks. I will agree , at least 2 grand more for a fleet in like condition.

S_Gibson 10-16-2018 08:07 AM

My personal preference is a long bed of either over a short. I'd prefer a fleet over a step. I'd pay a few buck more for a long fleet.