The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ran fine, now no spark? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=575548)

79Betty 04-14-2013 12:00 AM

Ran fine, now no spark?

I replaced my stock intake and q-jet carb with a weiand high riser and 600 holley. I pulled the dizzy got it all buttoned up and after a few gas line leaks got to the crank point. All it does is crank... I pulled another dizzy from my parts truck and samw thing. I will note that there is a 2 post resistor on the driver side fire-wall and when taking the bolts out my ratchet hit it and it sparked, could this be related because idk what it does. thanks in advance everyone i'm pullin my hair out at this point :(
Posted via Mobile Device

meatwagon83 04-14-2013 12:17 AM

Re: Ran fine, now no spark?

do you have a meter or test light? if not turn the key on and tap the power wire for the distributor on the firewall you have power to that point, if it doesnt spark trace back from there until you find power, then you will find your problem!

truckster 04-14-2013 01:09 AM

The resistor is to lower the voltage going to the coil. If you're still running the stock distributor, you've likely fried a fuse or fusible link.

LONGHAIR 04-14-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79Betty (Post 6010177)
I will note that there is a 2 post resistor on the driver side fire-wall and when taking the bolts out my ratchet hit it and it sparked, could this be related because idk what it does. thanks in advance everyone i'm pullin my hair out at this point :(

Can you post a pic of this resistor?
I sounds to me more like a junction point. You probably blew a fuse or fusable link.
Do you have a test light? Check for power at the distributor and that block you sparked.

BTW, this is exactly why it is recommended that you remove the ground wire from the battery when doing such tasks.

68gmsee 04-14-2013 09:50 AM

I wouldn't touch any electrical wires to ground to check for spark. You might damage something else, but you can ground a spark plug itself.

If you don't have a meter to check for voltage and if fuses all are good, remove a spark plug and touch it to engine blcok to see if you get a spark while someone cranks the engine. If it gets spark, remove the breather from carb and check the carb throat to see that the carb is squirting fuel when manually activating the throttle.

79Betty 04-14-2013 11:00 AM

She's getting fuel, and i've shorted a plug wire to the power steering bracket and thats how i found out i have no spark. I will check the fuses and see if there is one in the wire line.

GASoline71 04-14-2013 11:14 AM

Do you even have 12v power to the coil/distributor? Is it an HEI or points?

Lesson lesrned to always disconnect the battery when workin' under the hood. Even if not electrical work. :)

Gary

79Betty 04-14-2013 11:24 AM

Dang right lesson learned :( it's hei i pulled the dizzy from my 77 (also hei) and still had nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

79Betty 04-14-2013 11:34 AM

My question is how does the duzzy get 12v if there are no wires plugging into it. It has the square on the side but the plug from the bottom front goes there so i'm curious how it gets 12v?
Posted via Mobile Device

I also checkes the fuses and they're good

meatwagon83 04-14-2013 11:36 AM

power is the wire that goes to the batt terminal on you distributor, hei will say batt on top of the terminal

cableguy0 04-14-2013 11:39 AM

There should be a heavy wire plugged in where the 3 wire connector from the base of the distributor hooks up. You forgot to hook up the power wire. I assume you have hei. On the end of the square tab that sticks off the tab there are two spade terminals one is for power the other is for a tach feed.http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ml%3B596%3B447

79Betty 04-14-2013 11:43 AM

Cable guy is right i'm an idiot... She has spark!! But not it iled fir a half a minute then died an just backfred through the carb... Any idea's while i make a run for a power valve?
Posted via Mobile Device

meatwagon83 04-14-2013 11:53 AM

timing, power valve should be fine after the backfire

79Betty 04-14-2013 12:15 PM

I was always told it's a new power valve after a backfire... Oh well. I'll try n get it to tdc again and pull the dizzy. I prolly got a few teeth off.
Posted via Mobile Device

cableguy0 04-14-2013 12:15 PM

Readjust timing and restart it. Dont go chasing problems that dont exist yet. Your timing is probably way off. Move the distributor a bit either way and attempt to start it. Also double check firing order. 18436572

79Betty 04-14-2013 12:55 PM

I adjusted the timing, rotated it clockwise and it started for a sec then died. Got her to start give it some gas now my engine bay is COVERED in antifreeze... Thinkin of goin back to the stock q-jet and intake
Posted via Mobile Device

GASoline71 04-14-2013 12:57 PM

Holley carbs have had PV blowout protecton built into the base plates of the carbs since the early 90's. So if your carb is a 1993 or earlier model Holley, then the PV could be shot. But it has to be a pretty severe backfire to blow a PV anyways.
Gary

meatwagon83 04-14-2013 01:29 PM

is your thermostat housing tight? did you use a new gasket?

79Betty 04-15-2013 12:21 PM

It was on tight, found out te intake was cracked :/ oh well for $100 bucks should of expected it i guess. I got the stocker and my ole quadrajet back on now just need to get a timing light abd i'ma try and still get that holley 600 to work.
Posted via Mobile Device