The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Don't buy liquid clay bar ice from turtle wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=252060)

jkade 07-31-2007 06:58 PM

Don't buy liquid clay bar ice from turtle wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys remember how bad the 67 looked after me buying it and how good it looked after I wheeled it out, well I had some of the wax laying around and decided I would go over the truck with it since I washed it today. Said rub on and rinse of and towel dry. That is what I did and it dulled the paint out so bad that I am going to have to buff the whole truck again. I tried waxing a few areas like the instructions said and it still looks like crap. Called turtle wax and they offered my money back and I told them to stick up there butt that I wanted someone to come spend a day of there time helping me fix what there product messed up.
THanks, Kade

LUV2XCLR8 07-31-2007 07:10 PM

Re: Don't buy liquid clay bar ice from turtle wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks

JayG 07-31-2007 07:19 PM

Thanks for the "heads up"!

GREASEMONKEY72 07-31-2007 07:44 PM

well i guess i wont use that afterall and ill tell my friends not to aswell, thanks for the heads up

Mudder 07-31-2007 08:30 PM

I'm sure they are sending a crew out to take care of it tomorrow. Hate to hear you had problems with it. I have pretty much found things that work for me and I stick with them.

rambler 07-31-2007 11:58 PM

sometimes you think something may be good because of all the hype in commercials and someone endorsing it.. usually a bunch of huey (speling?) and not worth much,,, kinda like Fram filters,, you see a ton of them, but IMHO not worth it,, but I think its one of the top sellers on the market,, Like mudder said, find the stuff that really works and stick with it and avoid the New and imporved,, or take advice from the board, which is always good.. I remember all those colored polishes a few years back,, did the same to my old cabriolet,, and many hours of work later to get it to shine..

special-K 08-01-2007 07:57 AM

I`ve used that liquid clay bar lately and think it`s the best thing I`ve found in a long time.Are we all familiar with what clay bar is?It`s an old method of using special clay to rub down the finish to clean stains and bring the surface of the paint back.This is a liquid form for ease,but prolly not the job you`d get from the real thing.I wouldn`t use this product after machine polishing.It would be the thing to use first.I used it on my trucks,then waxed and the paint has the best possible finish I could expect.A couple things I did notice about it are:1)When you rinse it off it leaves a residue of the old paint.But,if you wax it,that`s gone and the paint is smooth as it can be.2)I tryed it on my oxidized tow truck and it only made it streaky.This has always been my experience with oxidized paint and hand compounding,though.Also,I didn`t do circular motion,I did back and forth like the directions say.Clay bar is a deep cleaner not a polish.

cdowns 08-01-2007 09:08 AM

it pretty much goes to the age old practice of testing in a small inconspicuous spot befofe jumping in whole hog

Jcentsr6 08-01-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 2288662)
it pretty much goes to the age old practice of testing in a small inconspicuous spot befofe jumping in whole hog

ditto :hm:

special-K 08-01-2007 09:44 PM

Yeah,I was going to say that.It does say to test on a small area,first.So,they can`t be blamed for the whole vehicle.
I really think you misused it.It is a step that should come before buffing.But,it`s not really a rubbing compound,either.It`s for getting marks out of the paint,like rub marks,leaf stains,spots,etc.

Musclerodz 08-02-2007 01:03 PM

Clay bar is suppose to be used before waxing or buffing. What it did was remove the wax buffing you previously applied. Clay is abrasive on the absolute minute level, probably around 5000 grit paper. What it does it clean the pores of the surface and did exactly what it was suppose to do. If you rebuff and wax it, it will be as slick as a baby's a$$.

Mike

Joe67 08-02-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz (Post 2290587)
Clay bar is suppose to be used before waxing or buffing. What it did was remove the wax buffing you previously applied. Clay is abrasive on the absolute minute level, probably around 5000 grit paper. What it does it clean the pores of the surface and did exactly what it was suppose to do. If you rebuff and wax it, it will be as slick as a baby's a$$.

Mike

That is a different product.

How old was the Turtle wax bottle you had 'laying around'?

Regardless, IMO Turtle Wax is the WALMART of auto polish/wax. Any of those 'does everything in one little bottles' are a waste of money. Good old fashioned elbow grease and good product will make most any vehicle shine :D

Musclerodz 08-02-2007 03:00 PM

He said clay bar ice FROM turtle wax. yes turtle wax "wax" is crap, but clay bar systems are basically all the same.

Mike

drunkbus 08-06-2007 06:47 PM

Turtle Wax products are garbage. Waxed one vehicle with some of their wax and swore I would never buy another one of their products again.