The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Stock 3 pt seatbelts - 72 Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=703838)

buckkoo 04-11-2016 10:21 AM

Stock 3 pt seatbelts - 72 Blazer

I'm trying to find a set of blue seat belts with the shoulder harnesses for the front.

From what I've heard 72 Blazers used two separate belts. One belt for the lap and a second belt for the shoulder.

Apparently blazers used one hole to mount the shoulder harness, while other vehicles in 72 used two smaller holes, so truck or car belts won't work.

Does anyone have a pic original 3 pt setups?

How about the retractors? Are they just a long, truck style on driver side and then a short, car passenger style on the passenger side? Are there any special brackets required?

Thanks!

cleszkie 04-11-2016 08:04 PM

Re: Stock 3 pt seatbelts - 72 Blazer

My OEM three point belts only have retractors on the lap belt portion. The shoulder portion connects to the hard top on one end, and piggy-backs on the same bolt that the lap belt uses on the floor behind the seat. Adjustment of the shoulder portion is done through pulling the belt snug through the buckle. Once you are fully bucked in, you do not move! Period.

buckkoo 04-13-2016 09:28 AM

Yes, for that reason; scarcity of original 3 pt belts and comfort, I'm going to try a pair of Wesco Performance belts with the GM buckles. They'll look pretty correct and should be both safer and more comfortable.

The only other downside is with the factory belts, you'd still have a working lap belt with the top off.

tjsblazer 04-13-2016 11:34 AM

buckkoo. I am interested how this turns out.

Cleszkie. Do you have any pictures of your factory belts in the truck?

cleszkie 04-13-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7559178)

I don't currently have the shoulder portion installed because I have my Four Wheel Camper installed at the moment. The camper requires the use of a cut down hard top (half top) that has a compressible weather stripping layer between the camper and top. The "leg" of the cut down top, which contains the threaded seat belt mount, is only about 8 inches wide and is connected to the blazer tub rail with only one bolt on each side. I felt that connecting the shoulder belt would be pointless, as that leg would most likely fail under seat belt loading in the event of a big impact.

bambbrose 04-22-2016 08:40 AM

Has anyone used a 4 point and a roll bar instead?

Just curious, as this would solve the issues with the three point and offer that extra level of protection even when the top is off.

buckkoo 05-10-2016 12:05 PM

Update: I got the belts in from Wesco and then ordered their 1.5"x1" right angle bracket to mount the drivers retractor on. The passenger retractor goes vertical in the stock mounting hole.

I then ordered their passenger and driver buckle brackets, which are cadmium finished 1.25" steel ~2"x6" with a compound angle of 90 degrees in and 15 degrees upward tilt. The passenger bracket worked perfectly, placing the buckle between the console and the bucket, where the seat back and bottom meet.

The driver's bracket,and remember these are universal brackets, needed to be lengthened 2" on the bed end and have its 15 degree angle reversed. Now it's in a similar position and these belts look and work as well as those in a new vehicle.

tjsblazer 05-10-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckkoo (Post 7588533)
Update: I got the belts in from Wesco and then ordered their 1.5"x1" right angle bracket to mount the drivers retractor on. The passenger retractor goes vertical in the stock mounting hole.

I then ordered their passenger and driver buckle brackets, which are cadmium finished 1.25" steel ~2"x6" with a compound angle of 90 degrees in and 15 degrees upward tilt. The passenger bracket worked perfectly, placing the buckle between the console and the bucket, where the seat back and bottom meet.

The driver's bracket,and remember these are universal brackets, needed to be lengthened 2" on the bed end and have its 15 degree angle reversed. Now it's in a similar position and these belts look and work as well as those in a new vehicle.

Any pictures ?

ck5566 07-13-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7588689)
Any pictures ?

Yah 2X's for pics. I see its been around 2 mounts ago so maybe He has "Left the building" you know like Elvis. LOL

fun in dirt 07-13-2016 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bambbrose (Post 7569268)
Has anyone used a 4 point and a roll bar instead?
Just curious, as this would solve the issues with the three point and offer that extra level of protection even when the top is off.

Yes, I did ... got mine from Wesco. But ordered mine with the snap ends & used the eyebolts they sell in kit. I like to clean the inside floorboards out occasionally with the water hose & nice to be able to remove the belts easily.
In the front, I put the eyebolts through the factory hole for seatbelt mounts (for the lap ends) & the shoulder strap end is snapped to eyebolt in floorboard (dbl thick there at stepped up area) & used fender washers underneath to help spread the load. Ideally, I would like to add another cross bar behind front seats to mount (either bolt tab or wrap strap) shoulder portion.

cleszkie 08-08-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7559178)

Got my hard top back on and OEM three-point belts installed again up front, and three-point belts in the rear as well. I will post up pics soon for anyone that is still interested in seeing them.

chastain90 08-08-2016 03:41 PM

Fun in dirt, What center console do you have?