The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pcking a high build primer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794882)

Baker72chevy 10-13-2019 11:00 AM

Pcking a high build primer

What is a good high build that want brake the bank

mongocanfly 10-13-2019 02:42 PM

Re: Pcking a high build primer

Spi ..https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com

71cadc10 10-15-2019 04:12 PM

I've used 2 gallons of Kirker Perfect Prime and I was happy with it.
builds well, sands well.
you reduce it a bit and it lays out nice as a sealer coat

I think was about $90-100 per gallon with the activator

nsb29 10-15-2019 08:10 PM

You can’t beat slick sand or feather fill sands good and O shrinkage witch means no die backs

71cadc10 10-16-2019 10:31 AM

I keep hearing about the shrinkage and die back. I'm a newb to painting...just finished the truck (mostly).

how long does it take for shrink to occur? what is the end look if it happens?
curious, I used the Kirker, 2 -3 coats and blocked it...some areas I did a final coat with reducer to make a slicker looking sealer.
I waited 2 days at least, till base coat went over it. Some panels waited months before base went on. I guess I'm wondering when does the flaws show up, if they are gonna happen.

thanks

nsb29 10-16-2019 02:56 PM

That really depends on what is underneath as far as welding and filler if There was no bodywork and the panel was straight And you got all sanding scratches out of it you really shouldn’t see any diy back. But if there was body filler used and you left some 80 grit scratches they’ll Probably show back through in time or you used a lot of high build to get it straight you could see some shrinkage in time with slicks sand there is zero shrinkage so no diy backs

71cadc10 10-21-2019 12:29 PM

Ok thanks.....so it's scratches that mainly come back into view...after it dries

I mostly hit all my filler with 320 as last step before the high build went on.
hopefully all my 40 and 80 grit scratches were removed...but time will tell

Marty68 10-21-2019 12:53 PM

"primer" bare metal SPI epoxy every time @K primer surfacer spi also has a couple i like their regular 2k. if you have really deep scratches and a lot of filler work to smooth out slick sand. always use epoxy on any bare metal for best adhesion and corrosion resistance.

blackbart63mule 11-13-2019 09:58 PM

Some more choices for y’all, found this company, they will answer all questions, after it took me a long time to figure it out! tamcopaint.com.

lukeembry 11-21-2019 04:08 PM

Tamco 5310 best primer I have ever used. Nov 30 is 30% off so it will be a bargin https://tamcopaint.com/

blackbart63mule 11-21-2019 05:13 PM

Plan for me is to go to bare metal, Tamco Epoxy Primer -Direct To Anything (chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, steel, etc. BUT not on top of old single stage-laquer,enamel,oil, alkyd, etc.), do the filler/bodywork, a HI-BUILD PRIMER’ block it out till smooth, and seal it with Epoxy. Like a sandwich. Iv’e used Ospho RustRemover witch is NOT compatable with this primer, so it’s gotta be soap & waterd off. I believe this primer has apretty heavy duty rust preventative in it. f course you will want to clean every area b-4 & after with solvent, but use caution, some solvents take the last layer off!

theastronaut 11-22-2019 03:37 PM

SPI epoxy builds a bit more than normal epoxy so I've used it as high build before. No worry about shrinking 2k that way and it block sands well. If you need a lot of build then use Slick Sand so you get build with no shrinkage, then seal with reduced epoxy.

hugger6933 11-22-2019 09:47 PM

Omni MP270 I've sprayed 100 gallons plus since I've been using it. I love it

dz1087 12-10-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbart63mule (Post 8630892)
Plan for me is to go to bare metal, Tamco Epoxy Primer -Direct To Anything (chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, steel, etc. BUT not on top of old single stage-laquer,enamel,oil, alkyd, etc.), do the filler/bodywork, a HI-BUILD PRIMER’ block it out till smooth, and seal it with Epoxy. Like a sandwich. Iv’e used Ospho RustRemover witch is NOT compatable with this primer, so it’s gotta be soap & waterd off. I believe this primer has apretty heavy duty rust preventative in it. f course you will want to clean every area b-4 & after with solvent, but use caution, some solvents take the last layer off!

So, if going down to a mixed surface (some bare metal, some old paint on spots) what would you use if you don't use epoxy on the old single-stage?

nsb29 12-10-2019 06:25 PM

Epoxy is a good sealer and is used over other paint, when you have a mixed surface doing a repair you can have metal, bondo, old paint and primer to cover, spi epoxy has sum build but if you need more use a high build over it ppg epoxy is good and can be applied over a mixed surface Don’t know about tamco paint.

dhenderz 12-10-2019 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been using Evercoat's Super Build 4:1. It builds like crazy - almost like spraying liquid filler. When you stir this stuff up for the first time you will get a feel for what I am saying. It seems the bottom third of the can is solids that you need to get mixed up into the liquid. Takes 10mins of stirring to get it mixed thoroughly. You need a really large nozzle to spray it effectively. I purchased a cheapo gravity feed gun with a 2.4 nozzle that I use just for spraying this primer. It is catalyzed. So once it cures, it's done and does not shrink back. I have found Amazon has about the best pricing.

I always lay down epoxy first, especially on bare metal. I have been using SPI's epoxy lately and it works great, especially considering the price point.

nsb29 12-10-2019 10:45 PM

What is the difference between super build and slick sand

Baker72chevy 12-10-2019 11:11 PM

Checked on tamco it has to be sprayed with 2.0 tip

Jalaska907 12-12-2019 08:31 PM

I really like how Tamco sprays and holds up. High solid content, great customer support. Ive used their epoxy, high build (sands amazing), sealer, base, and a couple of the clears.. Very good products in my opinion. I have 4 years on my ground up Tamco build, and its holding up great. They have a Facebook group that the owner Tammy is very involved in, and they have a great web page.

lupo 01-01-2020 04:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEyjR7jTWk Here's a video on YouTube that compares different rust products including epoxy in a salt fog test.

blackbart63mule 01-01-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dz1087 (Post 8640792)
So, if going down to a mixed surface (some bare metal, some old paint on spots) what would you use if you don't use epoxy on the old single-stage?

I, personally, am going down to bare metal to keep it all 2 part paint system from foundation up. What you would use would depend on which paint system you decide on.

Marty68 01-02-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbart63mule (Post 8652618)
I, personally, am going down to bare metal to keep it all 2 part paint system from foundation up. What you would use would depend on which paint system you decide on.

^^ this is best^^... after revealing the bare metal I would epoxy to seal and provide best corrosion resistance. then follow MFG guides as for recoat and or cure times. Dad always said "work one panel at a time" get it stripped epoxied patched straightened and work through final block and re seal with epoxy set it aside and move to the next panel.. I never listened to him and wasted a bunch of time working dents and primer on multiple panels forgetting where I was... etc. I was just thinking yesterday we would paint complete cars with Centari no buff smooth as glass. base coat clear coat.. ugh the buffing sanding etc... this was in the late 90s.. using a Binks 7 when we should have moved to a gravity gun.

blackbart63mule 01-02-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8652965)
^^ this is best^^... after revealing the bare metal I would epoxy to seal and provide best corrosion resistance. then follow MFG guides as for recoat and or cure times. Dad always said "work one panel at a time" get it stripped epoxied patched straightened and work through final block and re seal with epoxy set it aside and move to the next panel.. I never listened to him and wasted a bunch of time working dents and primer on multiple panels forgetting where I was... etc. I was just thinking yesterday we would paint complete cars with Centari no buff smooth as glass. base coat clear coat.. ugh the buffing sanding etc... this was in the late 90s.. using a Binks 7 when we should have moved to a gravity gun.

Plz see post #11. Don’t know if I can, but I love the one panel @ a time method!