The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 10-30-2012 04:58 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

1 Attachment(s)
In case any of you don't know it, eventually this truck will become a crew cab. My plan is to get this truck assembled and drive it until I get the crew cab done. I came to this conclusion as I sold my extra Longhorn bed, and can not sell the frame. Plus all my front clip will need repainted due to the fine job my guy did. (Not real happy here) :waah: Anyway, here are pics of the burb hull. I do not know what route I'm going yet. Use the burb hull, or use 2 cabs and the burb roof skin and doors. Not quite sure yet. I have 2 cabs, the burb doors, and the burb shell. I should be able to do something. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 10-30-2012 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's kind of what I'd like the cab to look like. I'm going to keep it a Longhorn and I've been thinking of doing DRW as well. I know it'll be a shool bus to turn, but it'll be hauling our pulling tractor to MO most weekends. I want comfort! :lol:

RatRod68 10-30-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5676602)
Same reason I'm a mechanic. But lately, side work has cost me more head aches than what it's worth it seems.

Strictly a diesel mech or both gas and diesel?

I wish i had the skills to do it on a daily basis like you guys man, i tell ya. it seems like any thing i do takes forever to get accomplished, and by then, the customer is so pissed and tired of waiting, it isn't worth it. My dad and I used to do custom bodywork and painting. We take to long to make any money at it, so we only do it in our spare time, with mainly our vehicles or people close to us.

edit:

Same plans as far as my 1 ton goes. Get the 6bt in and running, and use the truck around town until i finish building, or finding one at a steal of a price, then throwing the cab on the longer frame. What's the wheelbase of the longhorn anyway?

Dieselwrencher 10-30-2012 08:13 PM

The wheel base on a stock Longhorn is 133". I work on both gas and diesel at work. I typically only work on diesel things in my shop. But we do have gas cars/trucks occasionally. And of course gas hot rods. For now. Haha

ryanroo 10-30-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5676600)
You and me both! :lol: I don't know if this truck will be running sooner or later. Winter is sneaking up on me and I need to get the 76 going for my wife but I'm trying to finish the 88 Burb. Oh boy....

ill try and send that steering block sometime.... i suck at remembering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5676602)
Same reason I'm a mechanic. But lately, side work has cost me more head aches than what it's worth it seems.

same reason i'm a welder (i went to engineering school and mechanic school) this way i have access to the primo fab tools!

pickup67man 10-30-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5676625)
In case any of you don't know it, eventually this truck will become a crew cab. My plan is to get this truck assembled and drive it until I get the crew cab done. I came to this conclusion as I sold my extra Longhorn bed, and can not sell the frame. Plus all my front clip will need repainted due to the fine job my guy did. (Not real happy here) :waah: Anyway, here are pics of the burb hull. I do not know what route I'm going yet. Use the burb hull, or use 2 cabs and the burb roof skin and doors. Not quite sure yet. I have 2 cabs, the burb doors, and the burb shell. I should be able to do something. :lol:

Wow your sub is more complete than mine was. I didn't have an engine block in my way. Is there much rust on it? I know you are in the rust belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 10-30-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5677035)
ill try and send that steering block sometime.... i suck at remembering.
same reason i'm a welder (i went to engineering school and mechanic school) this way i have access to the primo fab tools!

When ever you can is cool. Thanks again!
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do. I really want to learn how to tig weld. My Dad got a TIG last fall and I haven't tried it yet. I had a buddy who started messing with it who is a professional welder, but he quit coming around. Go figure. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 5677213)
Wow your sub is more complete than mine was. I didn't have an engine block in my way. Is there much rust on it? I know you are in the rust belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

The engine doesn't come with it. It's pretty gutted however. There doesn't appear to be rust around the inside of the windshield, but the floor supports and inner/outer rockers are shot. I happen to have a 71 cab with perfect floors and shoddy windshield area on the RH corner. It's an a/c cab and this burb isn't. I'm contemplating cutting the 2 cab s I have and using the burb upper structure and roof as needed. Then I might have a easier shot at the 4th door by using 2 truck doors and modifying the skin. I know Ak'srus did his this way. I won't really know until I get the burb hull home though. It's in Topeka right now.

pickup67man 10-30-2012 11:11 PM

Mine had same rust. With the drivers door shut if you dropped a soda can it would fall to the ground. Inner and outer rockers, floor boards, floor supports, lower fender mount, etc. It cost $100 and has clean title. Also have an AC dash in one of my extra cabs.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbclassix 10-31-2012 12:53 AM

Woo Hoo! Glad to see you are building a crew!

watahyahknow 10-31-2012 02:08 AM

ever heared the joke about the mecanic and the heart surgion ?

a heartsurgion is having the engine of his car fixed
the mecanic is talking to the guy while working on the car and asks the doktor : why is it doctors make so mush more money than us mecanics , we basily do the same work repairing the motor that drives the object replacing parts that are worn or tune it so it runs better
the doctor thinks about it for a bit and answers : whe surgans doing the same thing but on a running engine

Rodzzilla 10-31-2012 06:15 AM

You will need rear steer on that thing, Ryan. I know a guy that has some of the parts to do it.

RatRod68 10-31-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5677035)

Engineering always facinates me. Anyone can dream up something, its engineering/fabrication of it that really makes it come to life. All of my tools are hand-me-downs :waah: Whatever though, they get the job done! :smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5677239)
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do.

Couldn't agree more. I am self taught on welding so far. Only thing I really know how to do is mig. Really like to learn how to weld Aluminum. If you guys were closer, I'd be over there asking you all to teach me all the time!

On another note, what engine is in the Corvette?

watahyahknow 10-31-2012 08:02 AM

i would like to learn it too but i think welding aluminium is more how to set up the welder than the welding itself , i think in this case you might get better info out of a book or from the internet
the only thing real difference compared to steel is that you need to work with REALY clean material

ryanroo 10-31-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5677239)
When ever you can is cool. Thanks again!
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do. I really want to learn how to tig weld. My Dad got a TIG last fall and I haven't tried it yet. I had a buddy who started messing with it who is a professional welder, but he quit coming around. Go figure. :lol:

:rolleyes: welders.... all a bunch of sheisters anyhow :)

TIG is nice. its clean and quiet i do stainless most of the time at work, so depending on the day my clothes are still clean when i get home!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRod68 (Post 5677647)
Engineering always facinates me. Anyone can dream up something, its engineering/fabrication of it that really makes it come to life. All of my tools are hand-me-downs :waah: Whatever though, they get the job done! :smoke:

Couldn't agree more. I am self taught on welding so far. Only thing I really know how to do is mig. Really like to learn how to weld Aluminum. If you guys were closer, I'd be over there asking you all to teach me all the time!

On another note, what engine is in the Corvette?

engineering is cool if its practical. one of the reasons i got out of engineering school was the lack of practical application. it was all postulation and theory. drove me nuts. i ended up in Industrial Technology. it was more hands on and suited me better. some of the best engineers ive met have no formal education in the field.

If you guys were closer i'd gladly give out some welding lessons/tips

his vette is a 12v cummins :crazy:

ryanroo 10-31-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 5677671)
i would like to learn it too but i think welding aluminium is more how to set up the welder than the welding itself , i think in this case you might get better info out of a book or from the internet
the only thing real difference compared to steel is that you need to work with REALY clean material

Steel needs to be clean too. there is a common mistake with welding steel and that is assuming it can be dirty. it is more forgiving than stainless or AL but that doesn't mean you should weld it dirty.

TIG the machine needs to have AC. there is a learning curve with AL. mostly it is patience. AL behaves differently with heat than ferrous metal.

watahyahknow 10-31-2012 09:22 AM

from wat i understand the aluminium is going ok and then becomes liquid in a split second , no way on telling if it gets too hot

clearly im do not know how to weld aluminium i did known someone who could weld it with a gasflame

Dieselwrencher 10-31-2012 03:38 PM

I also would like to be able to weld aluminum better. We have a spool gun at work, but don't really have the equipment to clean the AL properly. I send out my aluminum welding right now to a local guy. He can do it faster and it looks nicer than what I can do right now. :lol:

MrBeast 10-31-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5676627)
Here's kind of what I'd like the cab to look like. I'm going to keep it a Longhorn and I've been thinking of doing DRW as well. I know it'll be a shool bus to turn, but it'll be hauling our pulling tractor to MO most weekends. I want comfort! :lol:

Damn that is sweet, it is basically a mega cab, I am digging it. If I do a 72 crew cab that is exactly what I'm doing, although I may be inclined to set it up as a western hauler instead of a regular pickup bed, but that one does look mighty fine.

Dieselwrencher 10-31-2012 06:53 PM

Yes it is! :lol: If I was loaded I'd just go find that one and buy it. Haha The more I think about a crew cab, the more I'm thinking mega cab swb, 5.9 compounds, built auto, slammed and 2wd. Show these guys what a real truck is. Haha But I don't roll 2wd. :lol:

MrBeast 10-31-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5678501)
Yes it is! :lol: If I was loaded I'd just go find that one and buy it. Haha The more I think about a crew cab, the more I'm thinking mega cab swb, 5.9 compounds, built auto, slammed and 2wd. Show these guys what a real truck is. Haha But I don't roll 2wd. :lol:

You know you could also always find a 92-03 3500HD chassis and use that burban to build a mega cab on it. That would be pretty sweet, I have found a couple of the crew cabs around. That would mean no modifications to the frame and it would come with 19.5's stock. Could put an F-450 front axle in it to make it a 4x4.

copterav8r 10-31-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4788351)

This is the tach drive that runs off the injection pump retaining nut. It is plastic and screws in where the oil fill tube does in the front cover.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_0054-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_0055-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_0056-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_0057-1.jpg

Hey, Ryan can you post the part numbers for the tach drive parts? I found a tach drive but it is for a VE pump. I need the part number for the piece that drives off the injection pump retaining nut on a p-pump.

RatRod68 10-31-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5677679)
:
his vette is a 12v cummins :crazy:

Thats pretty cool. I like the originality of it, and it doesn't look stupid.

Dieselwrencher 10-31-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copterav8r (Post 5678692)
Hey, Ryan can you post the part numbers for the tach drive parts? I found a tach drive but it is for a VE pump. I need the part number for the piece that drives off the injection pump retaining nut on a p-pump.

I'm going this link here that way we all have a reference. Can some one copy and add the picture to this thread please?

http://www.glendinningprods.com/gmp/...Cummins.v2.pdf

Dieselwrencher 10-31-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRod68 (Post 5678835)
Thats pretty cool. I like the originality of it, and it doesn't look stupid.

Thanks. The Corvette guys hate it. Haha Especially the ones that are slower than it.:mm:

ryanroo 10-31-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5678880)
Thanks. The Corvette guys hate it. Haha Especially the ones that are slower than it.:mm:

this i love. when i cut up my jeep i got some raised eyebrows. they only made 30K of them and mine was 100% rust free and relatively strait... easy restoration and i hacked it all up!