The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

ryanroo 01-19-2013 04:19 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

What is the difference in the drw vs the srw? is the housing different, or is it just the WMS of the hub located farther in? i know a dually has more hub sticking out but ive never been able to find out if it has a different housing as well. or really any definitive WMS-WMS dimension. i know my RC60F is somewhere around 69.5-70" and i think the 80 is 70"
Ryan

ryanroo 01-19-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5828439)
I have a 2002 Dodge at the shop that I put a Kelderman kit on last fall. It will take some time to make the brackets, but it's well worth it in the end. I can post pics of that set up. it utilizes the spring and shackle hangers too. The shackle hangers were a mount for each air bags's ping tank. The front spring hangers are where the top link hooked in, and then you add a lower link bracket ahead of the spring hanger. I have wanted to do this for a while and now might just be the time. That dodge rides so nice it isn't believable.

i'd look at pictures! ill have to use all custom bracketry but i like to see where i can rob ideas. personally i think they use too short of links, but i suppose that is the rock buggy stuff coming out in me. i am also curious how you determine the size need for the ping tanks. also i wonder if they are neccesary for a lighter truck with large bags. it would seem that most regular road bumps wouldnt move the axle enough to make it matter with a larger bag.
Ryan

watahyahknow 01-19-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5828498)
What is the difference in the drw vs the srw? is the housing different, or is it just the WMS of the hub located farther in? i know a dually has more hub sticking out but ive never been able to find out if it has a different housing as well. or really any definitive WMS-WMS dimension. i know my RC60F is somewhere around 69.5-70" and i think the 80 is 70"
Ryan

the flange on the drw hub sits farther in compared to the srw so it moves the wheel closer to the diff
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...awler_hub3.jpg
there 4 different widths for the chevy 14 bolt those can be made by 2 different axlewidths and the 2 different types hubs , to make a chassis cab dually axle for instance you need a single wheel axle with dually hubs

ryanroo 01-19-2013 06:24 PM

I am pretty familiar with the GM 14 bolt stuff. ive been bleeding GM since i was old enough to walk :). Ryan and i both have dodge dana 80s in our trucks, and the information is not nearly as easy to find on these weirdo axles and usually seems to be in conflict from one source to the next.
Ryan

watahyahknow 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

wherent the newer dodge axles allready fitted with diskbrakes ?
if so it shouldnt be too hard to upgrade the older style ....... just googled it they do and they started in 2001 .......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...d=105168&.jpg=
googled some more the hubs for the newer axles seem to be different , maibe the disks and calipers fit though

1985-GMC 01-19-2013 09:26 PM

The only thing about those is the parking brakes always suck.

Dieselwrencher 01-19-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5829110)
The only thing about those is the parking brakes always suck.

That and the super duty d80s are a metric bolt pattern so these rotors won't swap over. And they had a lot of problems with these calipers sticking.
Posted via Mobile Device

watahyahknow 01-20-2013 05:01 AM

hmmmmm oh whell looks like its going to cost yah then , i wonder if those aftermarket brakes are any better if it comes to sticking , theres a LOT of water being sucked in back there when its raining

ryanroo 01-20-2013 11:46 AM

Gm's were sticky too. and the pbrake sucked. my HD was always eating rear pads. every time i pulled the calipers i cleaned the slides and doped them generously with copper anti-sieze and they still always sucked. i was on my 3rd or 4th set of rear pads to my 1st set on the front. rear disks are just tempermental.

Vintage Windmills 01-20-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5830176)
Gm's were sticky too. and the pbrake sucked. my HD was always eating rear pads. every time i pulled the calipers i cleaned the slides and doped them generously with copper anti-sieze and they still always sucked. i was on my 3rd or 4th set of rear pads to my 1st set on the front. rear disks are just tempermental.

We've never had a problem with the '01 or '04 HD GM rears or fronts and most of our miles were loaded or towing. 110,000 miles on the 04 duramax and original pads all around

wutnxt 01-20-2013 12:09 PM

Hey there buddy

Don't get me wrong buddy because i don't want to give you the impression I bang out trucks......lol....rolls my eyes...( because nothing happens over night at my shop )..But man I can't wait to see you driving and ripping around in it....it's bad a$$....and I wish it was in my shop...

watahyahknow 01-20-2013 04:10 PM

maibe use stock brakedisks and aftermarket calipers like brembo or sumtin like that

i just googled rear brakecallipers and there where a lot of links to frosen calipers problems on all sorts of cars and trucks , guess there just a little more maintanance involved in them

strainge thing is i have reardisks on a mercedes 190 (ok its a real lichtweight compared to a truck ) but no problems with brakepads wearing irregulair or callipers seizing up , maibe dust sand mud and stuff like that has some to do with it as we only have asphalt roads and green country where i drive
these mercs have a mecanical drumbrake inside the disk for the emergencybrake btw

Dieselwrencher 01-21-2013 01:23 AM

Maybe AAM rear disc brakes from the 3rd gen doxdges is the way to go. But cost is the issue. Maybe I need to look into using a pinion brake. Air ride on the rear, boxing the frame, and getting my gooseneck installed are more important.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 01-26-2013 12:08 AM

Here's my gooseneck. It's a B&W that the ball was stuck in. I have been soaking the snot out of it for a month, and today I knocked the ball out with a 12lb hammer.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...125_122344.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...125_122337.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...125_122314.jpg

These pics and measurements are for Mattman2010.

The center section of the hitch is 26" wide.
In between the 2 cross members is 7 3/4".
The angles the center is attatched to are 41 5/8".
The receiver for the ball is 2 1/2".

Mattman2010 01-26-2013 12:24 AM

Thanks bud!
Posted via Mobile Device

ryanroo 01-26-2013 12:52 AM

did you dredge that thing off the north atlantic floor?

Matt, i didnt realize you needed all those measurements. i guess i didnt even think about a length.... sorry man

Mattman2010 01-26-2013 01:03 AM

Ryanroo no problem man. Now it looks like ill be building my own hitch. It should be pretty simple to make the hitch from scratch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 01-26-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5843910)
did you dredge that thing off the north atlantic floor?

Matt, i didnt realize you needed all those measurements. i guess i didnt even think about a length.... sorry man

Dude, welcome back to Iowa my friend. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

ryanroo 01-26-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5845424)
Dude, welcome back to Iowa my friend. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

how old is that thing? there is 35 year old bare steel here with less rust...

Dieselwrencher 01-29-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5845595)
how old is that thing? there is 35 year old bare steel here with less rust...

LMAO! Like I said, welcome to Iowa son! It came from a 02 Dodge. The crap they put on the roads here in the past 10 years is liquid rust man..................:ito:

Dieselwrencher 01-29-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5830229)
Hey there buddy

Don't get me wrong buddy because i don't want to give you the impression I bang out trucks......lol....rolls my eyes...( because nothing happens over night at my shop )..But man I can't wait to see you driving and ripping around in it....it's bad a$$....and I wish it was in my shop...

Hey man, we can swap for a while I'm sure. :lol:

ryanroo 02-01-2013 10:09 PM

back in the shop?

wutnxt 02-01-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5852594)
Hey man, we can swap for a while I'm sure. :lol:

Hey which one of mine are you thinking?......lol...Dude you come up here and your welcome to take my 58 for a blast...

Beat68CST 02-05-2013 02:54 PM

Any progress on that hood latch yet?

I've been playing the "Spend a life savings on building a 47RH" game lately! lol

wutnxt 02-05-2013 07:15 PM

Dude you sleeping over there ?