The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

sbc383rulz 02-10-2013 03:26 AM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

just read the whole thread, 2 days of reading later.... YOUR A BAD INFLUENCE! so i guess my plans changed from a sbc in my 69 to 12V with a allison!

Dieselwrencher 02-12-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbc383rulz (Post 5878981)
just read the whole thread, 2 days of reading later.... YOUR A BAD INFLUENCE! so i guess my plans changed from a sbc in my 69 to 12V with a allison!

That's a good idea. :lol:

1tonwannabe 02-14-2013 02:16 AM

I love the build. Especially with a Longhorn.

Dieselwrencher 02-19-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonwannabe (Post 5887837)
I love the build. Especially with a Longhorn.

Thanks. I can't wait to be able to work on it again. :metal:

wutnxt 02-20-2013 10:08 AM

Just stopping and see how my truck is going.......lol....

Dieselwrencher 02-20-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5900587)
Just stopping and see how my truck is going.......lol....

Well, it's still sitting there looking half cool. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 02-21-2013 11:56 PM

I have to port a 24v head, and then it's back on this truck. It's sitting in the shop now so it doesn't get full of snow. I'm debating doing air ride on the rear, but it might have to wait because I have a new project for the wife to drive that is a big project too..........

jbclassix 02-22-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5904693)
I have to port a 24v head, and then it's back on this truck. It's sitting in the shop now so it doesn't get full of snow. I'm debating doing air ride on the rear, but it might have to wait because I have a new project for the wife to drive that is a big project too..........

School bus?

ryanroo 02-22-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5904693)

All the cool kids....

Dieselwrencher 02-22-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 5904735)
School bus?

Kind of. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 02-22-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5904775)
All the cool kids....

Then you had better get on it buddy. :lol:

ryanroo 02-26-2013 09:47 PM

so, this is done now right?

Dieselwrencher 03-04-2013 03:38 PM

Yesterday I started unloading the crap out of the cab. I need to make a list of what still needs to be done, and what parts are needed to be purchased or found. After I get the 24v head done that I'm porting, I'll remove the box and get on boxing the frame and adding some cross members and my GN hitch. I'd really like to do air ride on the rear, but for now the leaf springs are going to have to stay. My project to time list isn't jiving. I want my 40 Ford running by June, need to get the Excursion running soon, the Longhorn needs finished, and we've got a 68 Mustang to restore for my Mother before June or July. I need 3 more bays and 3 guys. :lol: I did find my steering shaft and painted it yesterday. I need to get the steering column in it and start getting wiring done so I can get to a point of a test fire........................... That's right after I change my trans cross member and get the frame boxed. There's a guy in Co who I need to kick in the nads. Hey, just sayin. :lol: I also will be ordering some zero rate off set add a leaves to get my axles centered in the wheel wells. It's driving me nuts how they are.

wutnxt 03-04-2013 05:55 PM

Hey your talking to the king of projects....I don't even know how many I am working on anymore. I am looking forward to seeing that truck of yours on the road soon....you'll get it all done man, it just takes time I have faith in ya....lol

watahyahknow 03-04-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5926822)
I'd really like to do air ride on the rear, but for now the leaf springs are going to have to stay..

i seen a leaf to air ride conversion a long while back in an article about budget dragcars the man lopped most of the rearpart of the leafsprings off and used the front part as tractionarms he put the airbags on top of his rearaxle , he didnt use any airride stuff just some plastic airhose and two schradervalves once set he left it as it was

the front part of the leafspring alowed for some flex and he used the stock eeeh panhart bar for the side to side stuff , the only thing i kept thinking of was : i hope the front eyes of those leafsprings are strong enough or he be leaving the rearaxle on the startingline

woodwright 03-04-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Yesterday I started unloading the crap out of the cab. I need to make a list of what still needs to be done, and what parts are needed to be purchased or found. After I get the 24v head done that I'm porting, I'll remove the box and get on boxing the frame and adding some cross members and my GN hitch. I'd really like to do air ride on the rear, but for now the leaf springs are going to have to stay. My project to time list isn't jiving. I want my 40 Ford running by June, need to get the Excursion running soon, the Longhorn needs finished, and we've got a 68 Mustang to restore for my Mother before June or July. I need 3 more bays and 3 guys. :lol: I did find my steering shaft and painted it yesterday. I need to get the steering column in it and start getting wiring done so I can get to a point of a test fire........................... That's right after I change my trans cross member and get the frame boxed. There's a guy in Co who I need to kick in the nads. Hey, just sayin. :lol: I also will be ordering some zero rate off set add a leaves to get my axles centered in the wheel wells. It's driving me nuts how they are.

I'll come help you.:metal::lol:

ryanroo 03-04-2013 09:14 PM

Boxing the frame is totally awesome, but who would do all that and skip bagging the rear?

:haha:

ryanroo 03-04-2013 09:15 PM

how far do you need to offset the front axle?

Mattman2010 03-04-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

If you have a couch and feed me i will help you, you can pay me in parts!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 03-04-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5927423)
how far do you need to offset the front axle?

IDK yet. Whatever it takes to get the wheel centered in the wheel well.

ryanroo 03-04-2013 10:01 PM

you should find out, i might be convinced to make a set of offset zero rates...

i am pretty sure i can make them out of 1/2" so it doesnt alter the height much

Ryan

Vintage Windmills 03-05-2013 11:52 AM

Why do you want to box the frame? the longhorn frame has a high modulus (resistant to bending) to begin with. Its a one ton frame.

MrBeast 03-05-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 5928695)
Why do you want to box the frame? the longhorn frame has a high modulus (resistant to bending) to begin with. Its a one ton frame.

Because a Cummins weighs 400 lbs more than a big block chevy and makes much more torque.

Vintage Windmills 03-05-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast (Post 5928799)
Because a Cummins weighs 400 lbs more than a big block chevy and makes much more torque.

The older dodges with cummins didn't have a boxed frame (making assumption here) and the longhorn frame would handle more than a big block since the big blocks worked well in the lighter c20 frames.

MrBeast 03-05-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 5928831)
The older dodges with cummins didn't have a boxed frame (making assumption here) and the longhorn frame would handle more than a big block since the big blocks worked well in the lighter c20 frames.

The older dodges also had a ton of problems with cracked frames.