The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:32 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

5 Attachment(s)
Here it is sitting out side after a natural wash job. (rain) :lol: There are some pics of the LED's as well.

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic, and pics of the VHX gauges while it's running. I still have to make a console to hold some switches, the trans controller, and some drink holders. I stil have to finish my tail pipes. In these pics, it has a turn down under the bed. It's coming together slowly.

ryanroo 07-08-2015 11:26 PM

:smoke: lookin good brother

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 11:37 PM

Thank you sir.

jbclassix 07-09-2015 01:42 AM

Love the wheel, tire, hubcap combo! Can you explain the mods you did on them? Not like I'll get that far on mine anytime soon

mcbassin 07-09-2015 07:51 AM

Your truck looks great Ryan! Digging the gauges too.

Dieselwrencher 07-09-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 7235280)
Love the wheel, tire, hubcap combo! Can you explain the mods you did on them? Not like I'll get that far on mine anytime soon

The hub caps are different from 1/2 tons to 3/4 tons. I never paid any attention to it. The 1/2 ton ones are dished in, on the center, and the 3/4 ton ones are dished out to clear the hubs. Although, the half ton ones fir on my wheels even with a D80. I used an acetylene tank cap with the rounded end down, put a block of wood on top of it, placed the hub cap on a card board box with the center in a folded end. I got everything set, then centered the tank cap in the center of the bow tie in the hub cap. I smacked the block of wood with a big hammer. It doesn't take much to get it to go out. But it does take some work to keep it from moving back in. I ended up taking a large bearing race driver cone and putting it on the inside diameter of the rolled bead in the hub cap. I smacked it multiple times to help set a memory in the hub cap to keep the center from popping back in. It worked pretty nice. My hub caps were for 73-75's, so I had to paint the bow ties blue.

The fronts. I had one with a hacked hole cut in it and another with a very ugly center. I used a die grinder and a carbide bit to frind a better circle in the center of the hub cap on th eone that was already hacked. On the one with a bad center, I drilled a hole in the center, then used the gas axe to cut a circle around the stamped circle in the center. I then used the die grinder and ground it smooth. Once that was done I used a flap disc on a die grinder and sanded/smoothed the openings. That's about all the mods I had to do to the hub caps other than straighten some dings and dents out of a couple. The fronts aren't perfect, but who makes them for D60 front hubs any way? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7235347)
Your truck looks great Ryan! Digging the gauges too.

Thanks Mike.

BLAZERMAN 07-09-2015 06:07 PM

Haven't been over here on the diesel side for awhile, I Love the new look in your truck!! Wheels and bumpers really make it look Tuff!

brimc 07-09-2015 08:33 PM

That there is one beautiful truck !!
Do you another picture of your throttle cable setup? I need to figure one out for mine.

Dieselwrencher 07-10-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 7235989)
Haven't been over here on the diesel side for awhile, I Love the new look in your truck!! Wheels and bumpers really make it look Tuff!

Thanks. I do like the look of the steelies. I hope so, it wasn't a cheap look. Haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimc (Post 7236133)
That there is one beautiful truck !!
Do you another picture of your throttle cable setup? I need to figure one out for mine.

I can get more pics for you. I have some other brackets off engines I can get pics of too.

mx289 07-12-2015 10:52 AM

New rims and tires look great Ryan.

And congrats on the new house.
Looks like somebody has a fence or deck to build ? :lol:

Dieselwrencher 07-16-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx289 (Post 7238524)
New rims and tires look great Ryan.

And congrats on the new house.
Looks like somebody has a fence or deck to build ? :lol:

Thanks, and yeah, that guy needs to get on it. So his wife says. :lol:

watahyahknow 07-16-2015 09:25 PM

just explain het the merits of having a strong puller to rip the old decking of the veranda with some rope and a short initial run
(hold my beer : hey all watch this)

Dieselwrencher 07-17-2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7243393)
just explain het the merits of having a strong puller to rip the old decking of the veranda with some rope and a short initial run
(hold my beer : hey all watch this)

She'd just tell me to go get her excursion and use it. :lol:

6BT 56 07-19-2015 09:58 PM

Love the look of those steel wheels. I tracked down the same hub caps all winter long . Put them on with my skinny 16 x 6.75? Steelies they looked horrible . Love them on the wider wheel tho. I haven't heard anything of the vet lately . What's it up to? Put into storage ? Driven daily ? Doing a long haul route to Texas running blocker for a load of coors ?

Dieselwrencher 07-20-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6BT 56 (Post 7246433)
Love the look of those steel wheels. I tracked down the same hub caps all winter long . Put them on with my skinny 16 x 6.75? Steelies they looked horrible . Love them on the wider wheel tho. I haven't heard anything of the vet lately . What's it up to? Put into storage ? Driven daily ? Doing a long haul route to Texas running blocker for a load of coors ?

Yeah, the wheels and hub caps definitely look better with the wide wheels. The Vette has been sitting since November in the barn. The last week in June I got it out and my brother took it to Good Guys. Other than that, it just sets. I'm having thoughts of getting back in it and making some passes before snow flies. We'll see. I've had thoughts of selling it too. I guess too much other stuff to do and too many thoughts of what I could be doing with the money rather than it setting in a barn. But then again, it doesn't cost anything doing nothing. Haha

6BT 56 07-20-2015 10:33 PM

Ya it's tuff. You sell something it's gone for good usually. I sold a bunch of stuff when I bought this farm. It sucked but life goes on. Now that some bills are paid and business is good I see my pile of good junk getting back up again . Your rite. It costs nothing to keep something packed away for a Rainey day. I can't see your vette being easily replaced .

Does that car have a build thread anywhere ?

72BlckButy 07-20-2015 10:44 PM

Been away for a while and in see you've made some serious progress.

Nice work buddy.

gerfunken 07-21-2015 12:06 PM

I've got to admit, I'm a little jealous of the bumpers.... I may have to do something about that at some point in the future.

Dieselwrencher 07-21-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6BT 56 (Post 7248507)
Ya it's tuff. You sell something it's gone for good usually. I sold a bunch of stuff when I bought this farm. It sucked but life goes on. Now that some bills are paid and business is good I see my pile of good junk getting back up again . Your rite. It costs nothing to keep something packed away for a Rainey day. I can't see your vette being easily replaced .

Does that car have a build thread anywhere ?

Yeah, I'd rather keep it, but it's tough for me to keep it and not want to do something to it. I've had major thoughts of taking the Cummins out of it and putting an LS in it. Redo the interior to back to an original dash configuration, and make it a street car. But, I have too many other projects, and the car runs and drives now. Yeah, I'll have to dig up a link. I know I had it on a few different sites. Plus if I couldn't get enough out of it, I'd just keep it anyway. I won't give it away. I have too much blood, sweat , anger invested in the dang thing. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 7248522)
Been away for a while and in see you've made some serious progress.

Nice work buddy.

Thanks Nate! How have you and the family been? Good I hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerfunken (Post 7248972)
I've got to admit, I'm a little jealous of the bumpers.... I may have to do something about that at some point in the future.

Thanks. I'm going to try to get a front one like this for my 76. But my money tree lost all it's leaves. :smoke:

6BT 56 07-21-2015 11:11 PM

If you took the oil burner out and did the LS thing that sure would be cool , but then you would have to find a home for the stout cummins and we all know how much you dislike projects . Lol. I vote keep it barn fresh till ur in the mood for it . Corvettes don't go bad . Even the limited build diesel ones that Harvey earl built by hand in the basement of the factory .......lol.

ryanroo 07-21-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerfunken (Post 7248972)

Honestly, i was going to say something about how nice the rear is... haha

how about a few better pics of that thing in paint for a dude?

Dieselwrencher 07-22-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6BT 56 (Post 7249728)
If you took the oil burner out and did the LS thing that sure would be cool , but then you would have to find a home for the stout cummins and we all know how much you dislike projects . Lol. I vote keep it barn fresh till ur in the mood for it . Corvettes don't go bad . Even the limited build diesel ones that Harvey earl built by hand in the basement of the factory .......lol.

After reading your post, I had this flash of an idea. Instead of buying my friend's engine out of his 94, I could save all that money and just steal the engine and trans for the 76. :lol: But I'm not that desperate yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7249744)
Honestly, i was going to say something about how nice the rear is... haha

how about a few better pics of that thing in paint for a dude?

I'll try to get a few other pics of it for ya in a couple of days. It's kind of blocked in by another 6bt now. Haha

CHIZZLER 07-22-2015 09:38 PM

Really diggin your build. Thanks for checkin in on mine.

COS399 07-22-2015 09:53 PM

Looks great Ryan! :metal: :metal::metal:

No wonder the other projects are progressing slowly. :lol: