The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

7dee2 08-29-2016 10:42 AM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Good job, glad to see you are using it, that would put a smile on my face!

lower50's 08-29-2016 03:38 PM

Yes it could be embarrassing to get your 4x4 stuck in a grassy field.;)

Dieselwrencher 08-31-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7697720)
Good job, glad to see you are using it, that would put a smile on my face!

It does but it reminds me all that is still left to do to it. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7698085)
Yes it could be embarrassing to get your 4x4 stuck in a grassy field.;)

Yeah, what a crap show. :mm:

With that being said...... I took the drive shaft I have had waiting for this thing down to the drive line shop the other day. I'm replacing the yoke on the D60 to a 1350 style. The front shaft will get a new slip yoke that is 1350 as well. It should be done this week.

1985-GMC 08-31-2016 07:28 PM

Did you go with a superduty front drive shaft? Supposedly some of them have 1350 u joints.

Dieselwrencher 08-31-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 7700425)
Did you go with a superduty front drive shaft? Supposedly some of them have 1350 u joints.

Some of them do have 1350 CV's and slip yoke u joints. I didn't though. I had a rebuilt drive shaft from another project already. It just lacked 6". I just made the decision to upgrade that yoke area because I couldn't leave that little puny 1310 in there. :lol: These bfg at's aren't all that great in mud. It's weird, I remember them doing better than what these seem to do. Maybe it has more to do with 5500lbs behind you not rolling. I guess 2 wheels with no weight on them, and in mud is the real problem. Haha

1985-GMC 08-31-2016 08:14 PM

Oh gotcha, I need to hunt one down for the burb.

Dieselwrencher 09-01-2016 06:41 PM

I noticed around here the super duty front shafts still hold a high value. I've been weighing options for the wife's excursion trying to get a shaft in the front of it that won't break the bank. Hopefully in the next month, I can get one made for it. It's been through 2 winters without it so far.

70custom20 09-04-2016 09:31 AM

I have yet to read through most of this thread, I did read some of the last ten pages or so. I read most of ryanroo's thread, and I'm about a quarter of the way through Mosesburb's. I'm really starting to think about a 12V swap into my '69 K20. I need to gather more information about the subject before I would commit. I've been threatening to pull my truck apart for some time now, as I would like to start updating certain things on it. The main purpose for the truck is a part time driver and a part time tow rig. I pull an enclosed car trailer with it once in a blue moon, mostly for the fact that I tow the trailer with an '06 F-350 powerstroke. Anyway, the things that I feel that would make my truck a better tow rig would be either a 60, or 64" rear spring swap, longer front springs (although maybe not the 52's) either the square Chevy 47", or possibly the first gen dodge (I think they had a 48" spring). The Dana 60 big disc brake conversion/hydroboost. Air conditioning. I have an NV4500 and a round pattern 205 TC so far. I called about a 12V Cummins a guy had listed in a local CL ad and he's asking $2K for it. The engine is out of a '94 dodge, with relatively low miles I believe. Anyway, sorry to hi-Jack the thread, just looking for input. Thanks guys, Kurt

1985-GMC 09-04-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70custom20 (Post 7703282)
Anyway, sorry to hi-Jack the thread, just looking for input. Thanks guys, Kurt

If I was to suggest one thing it would be to not tear down a perfectly good running driving truck to do a swap UNTIL you have collected every single part you could possibly think of to do the swap.

Dieselwrencher 09-12-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 7703921)
If I was to suggest one thing it would be to not tear down a perfectly good running driving truck to do a swap UNTIL you have collected every single part you could possibly think of to do the swap.

I agree. Good luck with that though. It never works for me. I guess, most I start with are not perfect running any way. :mm:

Dieselwrencher 09-16-2016 11:34 PM

Yesterday I ordered some more pieces for the pumpkin truck. It's just been setting with the trailer hooked to it while I work on a big dumb ford. :lol: I need to redo my box for the air ride that I made so I can get my tc shifter in it. I need about 12 more hours in a day. Haha

y5mgisi 09-17-2016 11:19 AM

Don't you just wish you could be two places at once!?

watahyahknow 09-17-2016 11:25 AM

sumetimes i wish that i was in ANY other place like the last time i was in the dentist seat.......

Dieselwrencher 09-19-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7715687)
Don't you just wish you could be two places at once!?

For sure! I finally got 80% of the chassis and under body painted on this ford project. Now to assemble the engine, and then the entire truck. Then I have a p-pump conversion and engine rebuild to do, rebuild another 12v, put a rebuilt engine in a 03 3500, and do a bunch of work to an 02 Dodge after that. Plus soon I'll be driving semi on the weekends. I might get to work on my stuff around Thanksgiving....It's never ending.

lower50's 09-26-2016 08:45 AM

Voted for you
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=718524

mcbassin 09-26-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7724541)

x2

Dieselwrencher 09-26-2016 06:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! I didn't even know it was in the running. I doubt it'll beat a SWB C10 though. :lol:

This weekend I went over and dicsonnected the heater core since the one from rockauto I ordered hasn't shown up. I dropped my trailer and drove it home. I took the back roads and was adjusting the compushift mini. I had it working decently. Then the next time I drove it, it was not working. So, I may have a bad TPS, or it just needs more tuning. I took the truck to the local car show yesterday. Then took my daughter to her soccer game in it, and dropped her and her brother off at school today per their request. I might put toggle switches on the trans so I can drive it this weekend when I go farming. We'll see. It would be nice to get the heater working now that it is in the mid 40's at night. (Last night was the first of that but all this week looks to be the same.) I guess fall is actually here. :lol:

projectking 09-26-2016 07:56 PM

Awesome, glad to see its getting its share of the family duties!

mosesburb 09-27-2016 02:37 AM

Very cool!! I enjoy driving them much more than I like working on them... Looks good man!!

lower50's 09-27-2016 07:58 AM

Nice. Glad your kids are liking it!! I drop my boys off and pick them up from school when ever I can. Looking good.

mcbassin 09-27-2016 08:29 AM

Hey, that's what I'm talking about! Getting out there and driving it....glad to see you enjoying it. Hopefully you can get your shifting problem all figured out.

Dieselwrencher 09-27-2016 05:23 PM

Thanks guys! For now I might just wire in a relay and some toggles. My DD might be loosing the lift pump and they are big money. So, if I can get some more done to the horn, I'll just DD it until the roads get real nasty. My main concern is I need to finish the gauge install. The gps speedo, boost, pyro, and that would be good enough for now. I may take a day off this week to do it.

Dieselwrencher 10-03-2016 07:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, lost TOTM to a pretty nice SWB. :lol: Thanks Meatwagon83 for nominating the truck! Anyhow, I took last Friday off to get some badly needed work done to the pumpkin truck. I didn't get any drive time in the 72 this weekend. About the middle of last week my daily driver, 98.5 dodge 2wd 2500 with a 24v 5.9, 5 speed with 470k on it, started having issues with the fuel pressure. I limped it for 3 days back and forth to work. I decided the first day that Friday I would be taking off to work on the 72 to hopefully get it longer distance drive able. My heater core was leaking and I unhooked it, I never took the time to install any of the heater ducts, control cables, and never wiried in the hvac circuit when I installed the new aaw harness. (Those punks don't include the hvac harness in the new harness assembly. Really??)

Also, my ford project I've been working on has been one pain in the ass right after another. The block is back at the machine shop and may need line bored. Apparently 7.3psd blocks tend to move when arp main studs are installed. I also found conflicting info about the switch from powdered metal rods to forged and decided just to have the bottom end balanced to prevent any early failures or issues. So, now that project is on hold-ish, I finally got a 12v cummins block and crank back from the machine shop. It is a full rebuild that I need to have done by October 16th. I also have a 24v at the machine shop that should be done mid week. Then I need to put that back together. My wife thinks I have a crank problem. I swear they're not all mine!

I knew my time was going to be very little to work on the my truck and with the Dodge on it's last leg, I knew I had to get work done on the 72. I've had some led bulbs and a new RH head light housing, since it cracked, setting on the table for a while. (LED in LH head light in pic for comparison to standard bulb) I got all that installed. I got the heater core replaced, installed a new blower motor, and started working on more wiring. I had all the wiring ran from under the dash up to the cargo lamp, but never finished hooking all that up. I was lacking a cargo lamp switch at the time I did that work. I had one, I just couldn't find it. So I ordered a new one. Yeah, I found the other one after the 2nd new one showed up. Haha Now I have an operational cargo lamp, 3rd brake light, I finally wired the gauge lights in for the dakota digital cluster, got 1 light wired in for the hvac control head, and wired in the hvac circuit. Who guessed all day Friday would not be enough time to get all that done? I had to go drive semi on Saturday. I got to work on it Sunday evening about 2 hours.

Dieselwrencher 10-03-2016 07:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On Sundays are my daughter's soccer games. She has a lot of fun and I'm trying not to miss any if I don't have to. She has the pink socks on in the pic. They don't keep score, but they all have a blast.:metal:

Today, before I went to work, I got the heater duct work installed, re-installed my RH inner fender, and started installing new flexible duct work under the dash. I need to install 3 more sensors and modules for the DD cluster. I'd like to install my gps speedo as well but I don't know what I did with it. Hopefully this week I can drive it to work at least once. But, I still need to install my Boyd welding tank, and finish my bed floor patch panel. Never enough time. :chevy:

kehstr 10-03-2016 11:24 PM

Glad to hear you have been able to work on it! Does your third brake light happen to be a kit or is it something that you made?