The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 09-28-2011 02:32 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 4923471)
Ryan, Do they use road salt in your area? Seems like too nice of a truck to salt up and dissolve by driving in the winter. Looking forward to seeing the custom floor.

Unfortunately they do, and a lot of it. But, this truck is being built to use. The cab isn't perfect, and my body work isn't going to be perfect either I'm sure. I have been self etch priming and then sealing all my panels, as well as under coating the bottoms of the cab and painted and primed the frame. I'm planning on coating the frame again before I set the bed back on, but we'll see. My plan is to drive it while I find a burb donor and build a crew cab for it. Maybe after that it will become a "dry" vehicle. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 4923585)
Nice plow. So the snow is what, two maybe three weeks away, are you going to have this ready for it??

Hey, don't jinx me man! 2-3 weeks away? No, no, no, let's say 2-3 months.:mm: Hopefully it'll be done. It actually moved today. :waah: Once I get the truck mobile, I'll tackle the plow mounting and such.

Dieselwrencher 09-28-2011 02:36 PM

Well, today was the first time in a while the ole gal saw some day light in a while. I cleaned around it a little bit so I can try to find all my parts. I also did some shuffling of engines and in the process my new cherry picker broke 2 rear wheels. It is the biggest POS I have ever purchased. It's perfect for ricers, but not for what I do. Be prepared for progress pics daily hopefully. This truck is getting a p-pumped 24v, with compound turbos. I also am planning on an intercooler too. Just have to find one that won't break the bank.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC09833.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC09834.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC09837.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC09835.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC09836.jpg

72-c20 09-28-2011 03:07 PM

:devil: those cherry picker wheels were meant for smooth surfaces :)

Dieselwrencher 09-28-2011 03:19 PM

No, these wheels are meant for the garbage! :lol:

1985-GMC 09-28-2011 10:42 PM

Nice! If things work out the way I want my K30 will get a P-pumped 24V, and Ive been kicking around the idea of triple turbos...

chevy_man5 09-28-2011 11:34 PM

I think I have the same cherry picker. I will keep an eye on the wheels! Your truck is looking great!

Dieselwrencher 09-29-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 4925611)
Nice! If things work out the way I want my K30 will get a P-pumped 24V, and Ive been kicking around the idea of triple turbos...

Very nice! Triples are cool but take a lot of room. They're cool when they work though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 4925723)
I think I have the same cherry picker. I will keep an eye on the wheels! Your truck is looking great!

Yeah, I got this POS from my Matco guy. I had to assemble it and after I got it together and told him it was a micro version of what I wanted, I got the old non returnable speech. I should have just went to HF and bought theirs while it was $99!

chevy_man5 09-29-2011 11:13 PM

Harbor Freight is where I got mine. It has worked great so far, but I am not lifting engines your size, and have been lucky enough to use it on smooth level floors. Looks like you have some small canyons in your floor. LOL

Dieselwrencher 09-30-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 4927380)
Harbor Freight is where I got mine. It has worked great so far, but I am not lifting engines your size, and have been lucky enough to use it on smooth level floors. Looks like you have some small canyons in your floor. LOL

For sure, my south bay floor is by far perfect. But it beats dirt. :lol: Those POS wheels broke before coming inside. They are just too dang weak to hold these engines and try to move them. These things weigh about 1100lbs dry. I never made it to the canyons before they broke. :smoke:

sdailey 09-30-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4926816)
Very nice! Triples are cool but take a lot of room. They're cool when they work though.

Yeah, I got this POS from my Matco guy. I had to assemble it and after I got it together and told him it was a micro version of what I wanted, I got the old non returnable speech. I should have just went to HF and bought theirs while it was $99!

Ryan,

I have the same hoist and it came from Northern Tool. At least you know now that your Matco guy isn't shopping at HF.:devil:;)

BTW, your build is coming along nicely.

chevy_man5 09-30-2011 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'll have to do aerotruk63's version of a cherry picker.

Dieselwrencher 09-30-2011 07:26 PM

I may have to! :lol: My big cherry picker is still broken................... AKA, a skid loader. :lol:

hick 10-01-2011 03:54 AM

Diesel,

I have been meaning to ask you why you choose the 24V over the 12V?

I just picked up my crew cab dually chev and am now looking for a donor... I am being literally torn between the two... Why did you choose?

6lcummins 10-02-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hick (Post 4929315)
Diesel,

I just picked up my crew cab dually chev and am now looking for a donor... I am being literally torn between the two... Why did you choose?

The 24V's run rather hard with 0.084 lines, mild injectors, moderate timing, and they sound awesome as well. We have both available for the swap and it has my 1990 VE that has been P-Pumped. It's a matter of personal preference and what you have readily available.

We have done two of the 24V P-Pump swaps and one was a very mild build and ran hellaciously hard. Then he put in a set of 7*0.012 with 0.015" lift injectors in, on top of his 64/71/14 turbo and it would pull out 25ft triple axle trailer 75+ at no higher than 1300* on the pyro.

I am also going with a P24V instead of a 12V on my 96 Dodge.

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 11:26 AM

Plans have changed again! I have decided to park my corvette from the diesel racing scene next year. I will put a mild engine and a A518 and just take it to shows. I'm now going to take the engine from the car and the built transmission and put it in the Longhorn. Then take the 24v and tranny I had for the Longhorn and put it in the 76. Kill 2 birds with one stone and save some pesos.

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hick (Post 4929315)
Diesel,

Honestly, I love the sound of a P-pumped 24v, and it's different. Plus, they do run rather well with mild injectors and turbo upgrades like Nick said.

propanemudtruck 10-06-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4938423)
Plans have changed again! I have decided to park my corvette from the diesel racing scene next year. I will put a mild engine and a A518 and just take it to shows. I'm now going to take the engine from the car and the built transmission and put it in the Longhorn. Then take the 24v and tranny I had for the Longhorn and put it in the 76. Kill 2 birds with one stone and save some pesos.

Did I read somewhere you have daughter(s)? You're changing your mind more than she'll be changing wardrobes soon! :lol:

But sounds pretty sweet.

watahyahknow 10-06-2011 12:34 PM

i've been looking on mounting a mercedes diesel 6 cylinder 3 liter in a chevy pickup , i live in europe close(r) to myra thyan you guys , i've seen some clips of those engines , they seem to get about 350 to 400 hp from them with only a bigger turbo and pump
i can get the engines cheaper then american engines as there more plentyfull here
still need to check for clearanceproblems to the oilpan

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propanemudtruck (Post 4938473)
Did I read somewhere you have daughter(s)? You're changing your mind more than she'll be changing wardrobes soon! :lol:

But sounds pretty sweet.

Yes, I have a 8 month old now, and another boy or girl due in April. I'm changing my mind because I won't be able to make any passes this year with the car. I also know if I put it back together I will just be wasting money going to diesel events racing it. I'm going to sit at least one year out. Rather than let the engine and tranny sit around rusting, I decided to use it and this will help me get my wife's truck on the road faster as well. Times are tough, and getting tougher. I don't want to sell the vette, so it can just be put away. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4938521)
i've been looking on mounting a mercedes diesel 6 cylinder 3 liter in a chevy pickup , i live in europe close(r) to myra thyan you guys , i've seen some clips of those engines , they seem to get about 350 to 400 hp from them with only a bigger turbo and pump
i can get the engines cheaper then american engines as there more plentyfull here
still need to check for clearanceproblems to the oilpan

That shouldn't be too bad. A 3 litre shouldn't be terribly big in size. I've worked on a lot of the 2.4 litre 5 cylinder engines, and they're not all that big really.

watahyahknow 10-06-2011 02:52 PM

small for american standards maibe but compared to european engines its the size of a truck block
http://youtu.be/vqJYHoGSVCQ

woodwright 10-06-2011 08:43 PM

What trannies are available to go behind these? I wonder how hard they are to get ahold of. One of the reasons I like the 6.2/6.5 engines is that Nobody likes them and will practically pay you to take them.:lol:

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 09:14 PM

I'm guessing Mercedes transmissions. That looks real similar to the 3.2 litre in the turd sprinters here. Parts are expensive for those things. The reason the engines loook so big is because they are over head cam and have massive cylinder heads. If I were you, I'd get one and do it for sure.

jbclassix 10-07-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4938667)
Yes, I have a 8 month old now, and another boy or girl due in April. I'm changing my mind because I won't be able to make any passes this year with the car. I also know if I put it back together I will just be wasting money going to diesel events racing it. I'm going to sit at least one year out. Rather than let the engine and tranny sit around rusting, I decided to use it and this will help me get my wife's truck on the road faster as well. Times are tough, and getting tougher. I don't want to sell the vette, so it can just be put away. You gotta do what you gotta do.

maybe the for-sale section needs a spot for baby clothes! I have boxes and boxes from my two! But now that my sister-in-law is pregnant, half the boxes will be going to her, not sure which half yet. But I don't know what she is gonna do with Colorado weather baby clothes living in VEGAS!!!!!

jbclassix 10-07-2011 01:54 AM

Congratulations by the way!

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 4939858)
Congratulations by the way!

Thanks. How you liking the Ca landscape?

propanemudtruck 10-07-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4938667)

Hey Yeah Congrats! And I'm just yankin your chain ;) You've made some awesome progress on this project and I sure do respect you for that! Two daughters myself.... 2 and 4 and I wouldn't have it any other way.:metal:

watahyahknow 10-07-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4939324)
I'm guessing Mercedes transmissions. That looks real similar to the 3.2 litre in the turd sprinters here. Parts are expensive for those things. The reason the engines loook so big is because they are over head cam and have massive cylinder heads. If I were you, I'd get one and do it for sure.

yeah there mounted in mercedes sprinters (dodge in america) there a little less powerfull that the ones mounted in passengercars its a cdi block and it has an electronic fuelpump , good thing is the bottomend is practicly the same as a older mercedes 5 or 6 cilinder and the old style mecanical pump will fit this engine without any adaptations
i live close to the sourse of the parts so i dont have to pay a lot for them , they dont have to include the shipping overseas , i have the same high price thing here for american parts so you know why i choose this engine now

as for transmissions yeah i would use the stock mercedes handtransmission and use some heavier duty clutchparts from gasolinepowered mercedeses , the automatics are a little finnicy though and hooked up to the ecu , if you keep the electronics you prolly be hitting youre head a couple of times because everything is linked intoo the ecu from the gearbox through the airbags to the interiourlighting allmost and its verry hard to impossible to put a different program into this ecu to work around it
i would make it mecanical injected for sure , there are kits available to bolt american automatics to the engine but i dont have links for those , the engineplate that holds the transmission is seperate from the engineblock itself , starterplacement can be custom made and any trans can be bolted straight up as it would if it was factorymade if you make this plate youreself

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4939944)
yeah there mounted in mercedes sprinters (dodge in america) there a little less powerfull that the ones mounted in passengercars its a cdi block and it has an electronic fuelpump , good thing is the bottomend is practicly the same as a older mercedes 5 or 6 cilinder and the old style mecanical pump will fit this engine without any adaptations
i live close to the sourse of the parts so i dont have to pay a lot for them , they dont have to include the shipping overseas , i have the same high price thing here for american parts so you know why i choose this engine now

as for transmissions yeah i would use the stock mercedes handtransmission and use some heavier duty clutchparts from gasolinepowered mercedeses , the automatics are a little finnicy though and hooked up to the ecu , if you keep the electronics you prolly be hitting youre head a couple of times because everything is linked intoo the ecu from the gearbox through the airbags to the interiourlighting allmost and its verry hard to impossible to put a different program into this ecu to work around it
i would make it mecanical injected for sure , there are kits available to bolt american automatics to the engine but i dont have links for those , the engineplate that holds the transmission is seperate from the engineblock itself , starterplacement can be custom made and any trans can be bolted straight up as it would if it was factorymade if you make this plate youreself

What are you waiting for? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by propanemudtruck (Post 4939926)
Hey Yeah Congrats! And I'm just yankin your chain ;) You've made some awesome progress on this project and I sure do respect you for that! Two daughters myself.... 2 and 4 and I wouldn't have it any other way.:metal:

I know, it's all good man. Progress? You're getting pretty generous now. :lol: It might actually start looking better here soon. I decided to farm out the paint work to my old boss. He thinks we might be able to get in next weekend. We'll see what happens.

watahyahknow 10-07-2011 04:16 PM

money and space to work on my trucks

propanemudtruck 10-07-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4940561)
I know, it's all good man. Progress? You're getting pretty generous now. :lol: It might actually start looking better here soon. I decided to farm out the paint work to my old boss. He thinks we might be able to get in next weekend. We'll see what happens.

since the only thing done to my 71 this year was robbing parts off it, I'd say you're making progress!;)

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propanemudtruck (Post 4941142)
since the only thing done to my 71 this year was robbing parts off it, I'd say you're making progress!;)

:lol: I robbed parts off my 76 last year for this truck so now I get to buy 2 of a few things. oops. :smoke:

rome704 10-17-2011 08:41 PM

nice build bro

Dieselwrencher 10-20-2011 11:51 PM

I purchased more Longhorn emblems for it and they arrived last week. Thanks Bucket!
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../102011077.jpg

Other than that it's just taking up shop space. How ever, it told me it's never spent this much time inside out of the weather ever in it's life. :lol:

72cummins 10-26-2011 07:29 PM

I just found this build. Looks like you are running into a lot of the same problems I found along the way as well. I redid the motor mounts twice to get the engine lower the second time. I have been looking for some good emblems too, so I am glad I found the thread.

Great work.

Dieselwrencher 10-26-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72cummins (Post 4975246)
I just found this build. Looks like you are running into a lot of the same problems I found along the way as well. I redid the motor mounts twice to get the engine lower the second time. I have been looking for some good emblems too, so I am glad I found the thread.

Great work.

Thanks Bryce. I just need to get this big project ford done so I can get back on this. I'd like to do some burn outs before it snows. :lol:

BLAZERMAN 10-29-2011 11:43 PM

I know you have a Dodge seat for your truck...but how Cool would it be to have air ride buddy buckets in your truck??;).....Plus I'll be in Des Moines for Thanksgiving!
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2672664424.html

Dieselwrencher 10-30-2011 12:30 AM

Rob, those look cool. When are you heading up here?

72BlckButy 10-30-2011 10:24 AM

Nice work Ryan.

How's the little one doing?

Dieselwrencher 10-31-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4981387)
Nice work Ryan.

How's the little one doing?

She is doing great Nate. I'll dig up the thread and see if I can put some Halloween pics up of her. Thanks for asking. How's your son doing?