The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   72 Steering column color (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851705)

PowerdbyChevy79 03-30-2024 01:02 AM

72 Steering column color

1 Attachment(s)
What's up guys, got a question. I have 72 Cheyenne two tone red and white, interior panels are white, dash pad is black but my column and top of dash is light brown. Why is that? I've never seen that combination before. At first I was thinking the PO did this himself but I've recently seen pics of other trucks with the same color combo. Why is that?

'68OrangeSunshine 03-30-2024 04:34 PM

Re: 72 Steering column color

Actually, I would call that color Fawn. It's a gold/silver mix. GM used it a lot on interiors. The Dash Pad would also have been Fawn vinyl, but they age to a darker charcoal grey color.
As to why Chevrolet chose that color for that interior, IDK? Perhaps they just had a Fawn column ready, and put that in, rather than waiting for an Automatic Shift Column to come back from the paint shop in Red. Just guessing.

Casper42 04-01-2024 08:16 PM

I'd suspect someone customized this over the past 50+ years and it did not come from the factory this way - specifically that column

Orange71shorty 04-01-2024 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9300984)
I'd suspect someone customized this over the past 50+ years and it did not come from the factory this way - specifically that column

Agreed

best view 04-01-2024 10:09 PM

Every thing is correct , I have owned many and all have been white interiors to have black it would have to have tilt, sometimes the dashpad can be black but that’s from different factories

PowerdbyChevy79 04-05-2024 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9300984)

I thought the same way.. but I recently found some pics on google of 71-72 interiors and i saw 2 trucks that had the same setup. so Im thinking the factory had to have done it

Casper42 04-05-2024 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 9301642)
I thought the same way.. but I recently found some pics on google of 71-72 interiors and i saw 2 trucks that had the same setup. so Im thinking the factory had to have done it

GM did some odd things for sure - inconsistencies between the different plants...but I have never seen an oddball colored steering column like this.

jocko 04-05-2024 08:49 PM

If your SPID shows an interior trim color of parchment and the truck was not optioned with tilt - I believe the truck would have originally come with a sandalwood column, wheel, and dash pad. So your post#1 could very well be original (except for the steering wheel of course). The 71-72 parchment trim with sandalwood accent w/o tilt is a great looking combo, but sandalwood steering wheels are kinda like hen's teeth..

EDIT: sorry, I missed that you mentioned that your dash pad is black, so I'd suspect it was replaced at some point (if the SPID says it's a non-tilt parchment interior on your Cheyenne).

PowerdbyChevy79 04-06-2024 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 9301850)
If your SPID shows an interior trim color of parchment and the truck was not optioned with tilt - I believe the truck would have originally come with a sandalwood column, wheel, and dash pad. So your post#1 could very well be original (except for the steering wheel of course). The 71-72 parchment trim with sandalwood accent w/o tilt is a great looking combo, but sandalwood steering wheels are kinda like hen's teeth..

EDIT: sorry, I missed that you mentioned that your dash pad is black, so I'd suspect it was replaced at some point (if the SPID says it's a non-tilt parchment interior on your Cheyenne).

The dash pad is black but the top of the dash is tan like the column.

PowerdbyChevy79 04-06-2024 07:44 AM

Yea my SPID says "Parchment Trim" so maybe the dash pad was swapped to Black at some point. That makes sense now. Thx guys!!!

too much stuff 04-06-2024 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=jocko;9301850]If your SPID shows an interior trim color of parchment and the truck was not optioned with tilt - I believe the truck would have originally come with a sandalwood column, wheel, and dash pad. So your post#1 could very well be original (except for the steering wheel of course). The 71-72 parchment trim with sandalwood accent w/o tilt is a great looking combo, but sandalwood steering wheels are kinda like hen's teeth..

I think jocko nailed it here...

PowerdbyChevy79 04-06-2024 08:54 AM

[quote=too much stuff;9301915]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 9301850)

I think jocko nailed it here...

Yea I think he did as well..