The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Blank METAL instrument bezel?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812069)

FLYNAVY30 09-17-2020 10:59 AM

Blank METAL instrument bezel??

Does anyone make a blank METAL reproduction of the factory instrument bezel? I've found them in fiberglass, but cant find a metal version.

Thanks!

bigmac73 09-17-2020 01:03 PM

Re: Blank METAL instrument bezel??

I would say no, I thought about this years ago when trying to decide on a custom gage board.
I would recommend you take the plastic one to Chesapeake Bay Rubber and Gasket in Norfolk off of Princess Anne and see if they can cut one on the Flowjet machine as per your sample. They cut all kinds of patterns in sheet metal, acrylic sheets and plexiglass etc..

https://www.cbrg.net/

FLYNAVY30 09-17-2020 02:09 PM

interesting...ill look into it, thanks!!

Andy4639 09-17-2020 02:52 PM

Why not use a old glove box door?:chevy:

LS short box 09-17-2020 04:27 PM

What I did was take piece of 22 gauge sheet metal, cut it to fit inside the flat part of the gauge panel. I drilled holes for the gauges with hole saws. I painted it with under coat in a spray can so it has a bit of textured look. Then I epoxied it to the the gauge panel. The 22 gauge is thin enough you can't tell do to the raised edge of the gauge panel. I painted the raised edge of the panel semi-gloss silver. I maybe spent about 10 bucks on materials.

FLYNAVY30 09-17-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8809619)
Why not use a old glove box door?:chevy:

I had thought about that...the two issues that came to mind were my inability to weld, thus close up the pushbutton hole on the glove box, and drilling out mounting holes that mirror the factory bezel holes.

Anyone have pics from adapting the glove box door?

FLYNAVY30 09-17-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8809666)
What I did was take piece of 22 gauge sheet metal, cut it to fit inside the flat part of the gauge panel. I drilled holes for the gauges with hole saws. I painted it with under coat in a spray can so it has a bit of textured look. Then I epoxied it to the the gauge panel. The 22 gauge is thin enough you can't tell do to the raised edge of the gauge panel. I painted the raised edge of the panel semi-gloss silver. I maybe spent about 10 bucks on materials.

Interesting....so I assume you cut out at least some part of the face of the factory bezel before bonding the 22 gauge to it in order to have the real estate for the aftermarket gauges?

Mike C 09-17-2020 07:02 PM

If you are interested in a challenge... you can make a hammerform out of plywood and then literally mallet a piece of steel around the form for the shape you want. It's actually fairly easy as long as the parts shape is not overly complicated. It might require some welding around the steering column.

LS short box 09-17-2020 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Correct I used the sheet metal to locate the gauge holes in the bezel. Scribed the holes and then used a die grinder to make the gauge hole. I used 5" Auto Meter tach and speedo. Oil, volt, gas and temp are 2 1/6" gauges. In the middle between the speedo and tach I used a 2 1/6" gauge I gutted for the high beam and left and right turn signal. Lots of time in MN winters to do this stuff.

FLYNAVY30 09-18-2020 07:50 AM

I like it! Planning on doing the same with a set of old school Stewart Warner gauges.

weq92f 09-18-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8809830)
...Lots of time in MN winters to do this stuff.

Fine looking cluster there Sir.

-klb

sick472 09-18-2020 03:39 PM

I don't know anything about these parts, but summit carries one that fits in the original bezel. I think Classic Parts carries something similar, but neither offer much of a description of what they are trying to sell..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...QaAp5EEALw_wcB

https://www.classicparts.com/1969-72...MaAgdtEALw_wcB

LS short box 09-18-2020 10:02 PM

Thanks for the kind words. It was a good project. If you go this route make sure you really clamp down the 22 gauge to a piece of wood on a good drill press. The 5" hole saw wants to walk a bit. Cut the holes first before you finish the outline of the 22 gauge.

LS short box 09-19-2020 04:28 PM

On more thing I did was fill the screw holes the hold the bezel to the dash.
I drilled the bezel screws out for a 10-24 socket heads. Then I epoxied them in. After that I used body filler made for plastic and filled the holes then contoured them to match the raised bezel area. The 10-24 bolts extend far enough thru the dash so I can get a washer and nut on the 10-24.

FLYNAVY30 09-19-2020 05:46 PM

well done....sharp execution!

CG 09-19-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8809830)
Correct I used the sheet metal to locate the gauge holes in the bezel. Scribed the holes and then used a die grinder to make the gauge hole. I used 5" Auto Meter tach and speedo. Oil, volt, gas and temp are 2 1/6" gauges. In the middle between the speedo and tach I used a 2 1/6" gauge I gutted for the high beam and left and right turn signal. Lots of time in MN winters to do this stuff.

Not usually a fan of aftermarket gauges substituted, but you really pulled it off, looks great!