The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cold Case radiator for '67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796321)

jimbosprint 11-09-2019 03:14 PM

Cold Case radiator for '67-72

4 Attachment(s)
I needed a new radiator for my '72 C20, and in my research on this forum I came across Cold Case radiators. I don't like the way most aluminum radiators look boxy and don't have a stock appearance, and this Cold Case radiator was perfect for my truck for that reason. The large 2-row design is also interesting. I reached out to a company rep who offered a discount if I would write this thread with the install and review.

Here are some pics of the Cold Case and my old factory 2-row:

jimbosprint 11-09-2019 03:18 PM

Re: Cold Case radiator for '67-72

5 Attachment(s)
The radiator showed up yesterday and I installed it today. Install was easy. It fits decently in the factory brackets, though it doesn't quite sit in the rubbers the same as a factory radiator. My only comment for the engineers would be to angle the lower radiator hose up a little more away from the frame.

I will update this thread with a review after I get a chance to run it a little.

HO455 11-09-2019 03:41 PM

What part number did you receive? I tried a Cold Case and was unsatisfied with the fit of the radiator and returned it. This is a link to my repair thread scroll to post 333 for the start of the radiator story. I hope you have a better result than I did.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=14

jimbosprint 11-09-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8624166)
What part number did you receive? I tried a Cold Case and was unsatisfied with the fit of the radiator and returned it. This is a link to my repair thread scroll to post 333 for the start of the radiator story. I hope you have a better result than I did.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=14

The part number is GMT558A. I read your thread before I ordered this and I was a little worried about the fit, but this one fit as well as any other aftermarket aluminum radiator that I've seen. The tanks are 3", the same width as my original radiator. They just don't have the seams that go into the rubbers like the factory radiator.

jimbosprint 11-09-2019 08:11 PM

Test drive went well. I have a 180 degree thermostat in the truck and the temp gauge never gets up to the middle.

HO455 11-09-2019 11:56 PM

Good to hear things are working properly.

my kids toy 11-10-2019 05:49 AM

The cold case rad for LS motors is one not to purchase

robs71 11-10-2019 11:26 AM

The installation looks good,factory shroud makes a nice job...just to give Cold Case a plug...we picked one up this summer at a Carlisle show in Pa for my sons 540 hp small block 427 in his 67 nova..bolted right up...we have a 195 degree thermostat in it and it runs right on that even in 100 degree heat.

Already Gone 11-10-2019 02:29 PM

Thanks for the post. I was hoping you were installing in a truck with a small block and A/C as I have to do something with my rad and been going back and forth whether to go aluminium or get my original redone. I see your point about the lower rad hose connector should be angled up a touch more. I like the look of it in the truck with the shroud installed. If the top part of the rad that shows was painted black it'd look pretty close to factory.

Steeveedee 11-10-2019 03:52 PM

I put in a CC radiator with no issues that I recall. But then I already had a 4-row brass job from the factory. I had issues with the fan and the shroud from before that installation. I bent up some aluminum and made my own new shroud.

Already Gone 11-10-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8624666)
I put in a CC radiator with no issues that I recall. But then I already had a 4-row brass job from the factory. I had issues with the fan and the shroud from before that installation. I bent up some aluminum and made my own new shroud.

How long have you been using it now, mileage too if possible, and I would assume you've had no issues or you would have mentioned them.

Steeveedee 11-10-2019 07:48 PM

My truck mostly sits. The radiator has been in it for 14 months. No idea on mileage. Certainly less than 1000 miles, anyway.

1971Stepside 11-11-2019 04:23 PM

I tried it...twice...sent them both back, but mine was for the LS swap.

Andy4639 11-12-2019 12:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I bought 5 aluminium radiators so far off E bay from CHR racing. 3 of them are for C-10's 1 for the 64 SS Impala and my dad's 56 Bel Air. All of them are nice units and are welded together no plastic. The one in my 71 C-10 has been in it for 6 years now. They are all less than $200.00. They all where for Auto so they have the trans cooler in them. This last one was $120.00 and it has the angled up lower hose mount as well. No problems at all with them.

Only problem I had is this last one came in damaged. Last week, the box looked as though they threw it around. I sent the seller pictures of it and they sent me a new one no problems, should be here tomorrow. The box had staples but none of them where holding anything together. It had 1 band around it in the middle of the box that was keeping the box together.
He told me to keep this one. This wasn't the seller's fault I don't think but he made it right with no qestions asked. In less than a week I will have another one if it shows up tomorrow like the tracking say's.

So I took a block of wood and fixed it. I will put it up and have it for a back up if I need one later on.

Before & after:
:chevy:

Already Gone 11-12-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8625766)
I bought 5 aluminium radiators so far off E bay from CHR racing. 3 of them are for C-10's 1 for the 64 SS Impala and my dad's 56 Bel Air. All of them are nice units and are welded together no plastic. The one in my 71 C-10 has been in it for 6 years now. They are all less than $200.00. They all where for Auto so they have the trans cooler in them. This last one was $120.00 and it has the angled up lower hose mount as well. No problems at all with them.

Only problem I had is this last one came in damaged. Last week, the box looked as though they threw it around. I sent the seller pictures of it and they sent me a new one no problems, should be here tomorrow. The box had staples but none of them where holding anything together. It had 1 band around it in the middle of the box that was keeping the box together.
He told me to keep this one. This wasn't the seller's fault I don't think but he made it right with no qestions asked. In less than a week I will have another one if it shows up tomorrow like the tracking say's.

So I took a block of wood and fixed it. I will put it up and have it for a back up if I need one later on.

Before & after:

So Andy no fitment problems and they bolt right in? What I like is you said you've had one in your C10 for 6 years and I know yoiu drive it lots and have been on the Hot Rod Power Tour with your C10 and its usually super hot on the HRPT.

Andy4639 11-12-2019 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8625910)
So Andy no fitment problems and they bolt right in? What I like is you said you've had one in your C10 for 6 years and I know yoiu drive it lots and have been on the Hot Rod Power Tour with your C10 and its usually super hot on the HRPT.

Mine in the 71 C 10 is not a factory drop in. It did require some work for it to be bolted in but over all it's not bad. I use the heavy duty black foam to sit the radiator on in the bottom.The one in the ramp truck is 3 years old. It is using stock hold downs. It's not a perfect fit but it works fine. This one is going into the 68 step for my daughter.
To keep from hi jacking this thread PM me if you want anymore on it.

Already Gone 11-19-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbosprint (Post 8624154)
I needed a new radiator for my '72 C20, and in my research on this forum I came across Cold Case radiators. I don't like the way most aluminum radiators look boxy and don't have a stock appearance, and this Cold Case radiator was perfect for my truck for that reason. The large 2-row design is also interesting. I reached out to a company rep who offered a discount if I would write this thread with the install and review.

What was indoor truck originally, a 3 core or 4 core rad?

jimbosprint 11-19-2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8629487)
What was indoor truck originally, a 3 core or 4 core rad?

I just looked and the old radiator that was in my truck when I bought it was a narrow 3-row. It was so skinny I thought it was a 2-row.

Already Gone 11-21-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbosprint (Post 8629490)
I just looked and the old radiator that was in my truck when I bought it was a narrow 3-row. It was so skinny I thought it was a 2-row.

Thanks for the info.

mcmlxix 11-08-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbosprint (Post 8624154)

So how about a long term update? Any issues?

jimbosprint 11-08-2021 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 8993219)
So how about a long term update? Any issues?

I sold the truck, but as far as I know the new owner has not had any problems.