The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   700r4 not shifting (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=237825)

bad72c10 04-22-2007 10:21 PM

700r4 not shifting

Alright guys, I got my 700r4 in and bolted up and running yesterday. I took it on a test drive after adjusting the TV cable, shifted a little late, but was fine. Went back, checked fluid level again, good fluid, adjusted TV cable again. Started to drive home, shifted late, puleed over, adjusted cable again, shifted great.
Now is when it started. Got to a street a little way from home, and got on it to about half throttle, and the throttle went a little mushy and my consistent foot pressure took it to 3/4 throttle or so, and it kicked down to first. After that mush and kickdown, it will no longer shift out of first gear when the tranny is in OD. I can't get past OD with my column shift, because my linkage hits the collector of my header.
I checked the TV cable, and when you pull JUST the cable without moving the throttle linkage, it feels spring loaded and goes back to where it should be.

Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any help, Justin

Blue85 04-22-2007 10:41 PM

Re: 700r4 not shifting

Is it a fresh rebuild? Are you sure you are adjusting the TV cable properly?

Blue85 04-22-2007 10:48 PM

Heres another trick to try, this came from a file i had saved from some tranny site, If your transmission doesn’t shift out of first gear or shifts hard at too high a R.P.M. this doesn’t always mean you have a problem. This could be a stuck throttle valve caused by a small piece of trash. This sometimes happens after a rebuild. Sometimes the throttle valve can be unstuck without removing the valve body. Get up to about 20 to 30 M.P.H. and hit the gas pedal on and off hard with your foot. This might do the job. If that doesn’t work remove the throttle valve cable end from the throttle, with the motor at idle in park, pull the cable in and out very fast, this might work, if not the valve body must be removed by a transmission shop to be unstuck, Unless you do your own transmission work

VetteVet 04-22-2007 10:49 PM

Here is a copy /paste from a 700 r4 website.

If your transmission doesn’t shift out of first gear or shifts hard at too high a R.P.M. this doesn’t always mean you have a problem. This could be a stuck throttle valve caused by a small piece of trash. This sometimes happens after a rebuild. Sometimes the throttle valve can be unstuck without removing the valve body. Get up to about 20 to 30 M.P.H. and hit the gas pedal on and off hard with your foot. This might do the job. If that doesn’t work remove the throttle valve cable end from the throttle, with the motor at idle in park, pull the cable in and out very fast, this might work, if not the valve body must be removed by a transmission shop to be unstuck. This could cost $50.00 to $100.00.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

AR15DEFENSE 04-22-2007 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
check the teeth on the governor gear. on the left hand side of the trans will be a cap. pop the cap off and pull out the governor. check the plastic teeth on the end for wear. same thing happened to me 200 mi. after my last rebuild. the tranny shops usually reuse them from what I here. use a pan as you will lose a little fluid.

86k10 04-22-2007 11:29 PM

Sounds like you do have a little speck of something in the TV valve, pretty common after a reman especially if you have the early style valve with aluminum sleeve. What I do is to stomp the gas to the floor 5 or 6 times with the engine off real quickly, that will unstick one unless it is real bad. It may take a few times of doing that to get it but it still beats taking the valve body off. you mentioned adjusting the tv cable, if I may say, in my way of thinking the tv cable is to be "set" it's not something you adjust to your own preference. Anyway hope you get it working.

bad72c10 04-22-2007 11:42 PM

86K10, by adjusted I meant reset, I guess I should've worded it that way. Thanks for your help so far, Justin

bad72c10 04-23-2007 09:02 AM

You guys ROCK!! I did the 20-30 mph on/off throttle and it shifts! Thanks to all of you guys, Justin

86k10 04-23-2007 11:43 PM

Sounds good, enjoy yourself.