The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   16x8 steel wheels on sale (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=718842)

52napco 09-28-2016 07:21 AM

16x8 steel wheels on sale

Was poking around the ole interweb last night and stumbled on what is the
Best price ive seen on these. Had to order a.set.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false

special-K 09-28-2016 07:34 AM

Re: 16x8 steel wheels on sale

I have a set ordered since Aug. I think they did the sale because they are on back order and Wheel Vintiques ran out. The last I heard it will be October (which is now a few days off) before more are available. Jeg's didn't even know that when I ordered mine. I figure rather than no sales through the couple month lull, they dropped them low to pre-sale the snot out of the next batch. Pretty smart, worked on me. I'm not planning to buy the tires till Spring, so I don't care. Now if they could just run out of the 10s :cool:

bow-tie-bandit 09-28-2016 02:06 PM

Just ordered mine. Great price $357 total for a set of four shipped to my door.:flag:

leddzepp 09-28-2016 02:51 PM

Says they ship on 10/31...really good price on these.

CG 09-28-2016 02:51 PM

Boy that's a tempting price. Would be cool to have a set of tires with white steelies to change up with my mags. But I'm not sure if I'm staying in the 3/4 ton world. And I need to stop buying stuff just because I like it haha!

52napco 09-28-2016 02:56 PM

And since they are powder coated black I can take them straight to my powder coating buddy and roll them right in and make them white without blasting.
Why in the world don't they offer them in white ?????

CG 09-28-2016 03:37 PM

Last set I bought I brought them to Les Schawbs and they powder coated them white for me before they put the new tires on. I think it was super cheap too.

bow-tie-bandit 09-28-2016 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 52napco (Post 7727279)
And since they are powder coated black I can take them straight to my powder coating buddy and roll them right in and make them white without blasting.
Why in the world don't they offer them in white ?????

They used to sell white Series 82 wheels not that long ago:chevy:. I plan on turning mine white because I like them better than black. At least we saved $$ by getting them on sale and can use the savings towards powdercoating.
:chevy:

72MARIO 09-28-2016 09:20 PM

Anyone know how long the sale is on for ?

special-K 09-28-2016 09:58 PM

Can you powder coat onto already coated parts. Everything I have had powder coated was bare steel because it's a magnetic process. There's no need to powder coat a piece already powder coated. I had rallyes I had done gloss black. I ended up putting Turbo-Vecs on that vehicle and used the rallyes on a '70 C/10, but I wanted them argent. I scuffed them up and painted them and it held up as well as powdercoat

CG 09-28-2016 10:31 PM

Sorry forgot to say that yes I had them blasted first.

52napco 09-29-2016 06:57 AM

Yes you can powder coat on top with no issues. If it were an
Older job with chips etc. Then I would blast but in this case its fine.

special-K 09-29-2016 07:46 AM

I know the original coat would still allow for magnetism. But I would think, with the finish so slick, that with a minor chip you could find the top coat popping off in sheets in time. Basically, you would have a shell over a shell that is not bonded. Does the original coat melt again in the oven? I've used powder coat since the '80s and have experienced about every type of failure. I just wouldn't feel comfortable going over it like that. I had a set of ladder racks in gloss black I adapted to another truck, stripped/sandblasted, and coated in 2-stage gun metal grey*. I feel the best job comes from the powder coat clinging to the coarse sand blasted surface. I sandblasted aluminum diamond plate and powder coated that for the tops of the utility bed where I climbed up with stones stuck in the mud that clung to my boots for years and all it did was wear the coating down. Total abrasion from sand to 1" stones. It got dull from wear and edges got bare, but it clung like a tick, never lifted. I plan on blasting mine...or scuff and paint. The only issue with the paint will be on the surface. No worries of rust any more than with powder coat because that's what they still are...with paint on top

* That would be one coat over another, and on other pieces on the truck the clear lifted under pressure from bolts. So, not sure how a second coat would stand up at the lug nuts.

BLT gmc 09-29-2016 08:26 AM

The process is not based a on magnetic properties. It is an electrostatic charge, this is why non-ferrous items can be coated. Tim, it sounds like you have had a ton of experience in this area. Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device

thedudeabides86 09-29-2016 10:19 AM

Would these rims fit on a '72 C20 3/4ton? I'd have to measure my split rims when I get home from work tonight.

special-K 09-29-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLT gmc (Post 7727942)
The process is not based a on magnetic properties. It is an electrostatic charge, this is why non-ferrous items can be coated. Tim, it sounds like you have had a ton of experience in this area. Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device

You're right, it's not magnetism. I was thinking of the electrical properties involve and my mind went to magnetism rather than static. When I found out about it I went ape. I know the white spoke wheels, roll bars, etc were powder coated, but that was part of a major manufacturing process. Once I found out where us common folk could get it done, and not 10 miles from my house or expensive I became a regular customer. The shop I deal with does major runs for companies such as wheel, header, lanterns, etc manufacturers. They did all the lamps at Disney World for example. I also used a shop in Baltimore that did NASA, Dept of Navy, a lot of gov't stuff and manufacturers. But I was considered a "back door" customer and they wanted cash-only. I only went there because they could media blast (aluminum oxide) a 15' ladder rack I built and the other place wasn't sandblasting at the time. Now they have the biggest cabinet I ever saw. I used to have to blast stuff and rush it over there hoping moisture didn't affect it before they coated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedudeabides86 (Post 7728035)
Would these rims fit on a '72 C20 3/4ton? I'd have to measure my split rims when I get home from work tonight.

They sure will. They'll jump right on that truck! This sale is a bit better than buy 3 get 4th free...plus free shipping! These wheels are usually $35 more each, so 4 x $35 is a heap to save

thedudeabides86 09-29-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7728061)
You're right, it's not magnetism. I was thinking of the electrical properties involve and my mind went to magnetism rather than static. When I found out about it I went ape. I know the white spoke wheels, roll bars, etc were powder coated, but that was part of a major manufacturing process. Once I found out where us common folk could get it done, and not 10 miles from my house or expensive I became a regular customer. The shop I deal with does major runs for companies such as wheel, header, lanterns, etc manufacturers. They did all the lamps at Disney World for example. I also used a shop in Baltimore that did NASA, Dept of Navy, a lot of gov't stuff and manufacturers. But I was considered a "back door" customer and they wanted cash-only. I only went there because they could media blast (aluminum oxide) a 15' ladder rack I built and the other place wasn't sandblasting at the time. Now they have the biggest cabinet I ever saw. I used to have to blast stuff and rush it over there hoping moisture didn't affect it before they coated.

They sure will. They'll jump right on that truck! This sale is a bit better than buy 3 get 4th free...plus free shipping! These wheels are usually $35 more each, so 4 x $35 is a heap to save

Awesome! I'd love to pick these up but I've gotta run it by the "War Dept" better known as The Wife, The Boss, or The Chief Decision Officer. :lol:

hounddogs! 09-29-2016 11:25 AM

What's the usual tire width for an 8" wheel? 255?

special-K 09-29-2016 03:53 PM

When I bought my '90 Blazer new it came with 8" rallyes with 235/75r15s. I think that's a bit small, but that's what GM did. I'd say 9-10" tires are ideal but plenty these days are running 12.50s on them with no wear issues. In 16s I'd say 255/85s would be the narrowest tire (personally I think 7" is ideal), 285/75s-315/75s are great. 315s (or 12.50s) are where 8" and 10" wheels overlap.

davischevy 09-29-2016 08:54 PM

When our heavy truck wheels start looking tacky we have them blasted and powder coated. When we blast them, the old powder coat never all comes off, so we just powder coat over it. It's not a show finish, but it's just a dump truck.

When we put 8" wheels on the K10 they had black powder coat. I finally got all the old finish off so we could coat them white, but it was a real job.

I bought a 76 Silverado K10 new that had 7" rally wheels.

And, yes that is a deal on the 16x8 eight holes.

52napco 10-14-2016 08:39 PM

Has anyone got their wheels or heard anything

special-K 10-14-2016 09:27 PM

I got mine on Monday.

bow-tie-bandit 10-14-2016 09:50 PM

Jegs sent me an e-mail saying the ship date is Oct.28th for mine.

52napco 10-15-2016 07:21 AM

Well i guess this is kindq good news. I havent heard.anything.

rcazwillis 10-15-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hounddogs! (Post 7728102)
What's the usual tire width for an 8" wheel? 255?

A 225/50 work on a 8" wheel. You can go smaller with a higher ratio tire. 215/75 will mount up because it has more side wall to flex. Every tire manufacture has a recommend range of wheel widths for every tire they make. Check out the specs for the tires to get accurate info.