The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Daily drive lunch box locker (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=831431)

rustyrodknocker 02-24-2022 11:40 PM

Daily drive lunch box locker

1 Attachment(s)
I need to replace the spider gears in my 8.5 but I was looking at maybe doing a locker instead. Specifically the Spartan lunch box style. This is for a daily driver. I don't go offroading. I go out in the woods in some mud and snow but I stay on a developed road unless of course I slide off. I do to a motorcycle trailer and car trailers sometimes and travel several hundred miles from home out in the high desert. So dependability is a must. As is driveability.

What experience do you guys have with this type of unit?

I could also go the posi carrier route also. Little more work little more money but
Better driveability. But I have also heard trucks are hard on them and wear out the clutches.

This is a stock k1500

Richard 02-25-2022 03:28 AM

Re: Daily drive lunch box locker

A lunch box locker can be more harsh and noisy than a detroit or grizzly locker. Those type of lockers can be touchy on the street. Zero need for a LBL on the street. Low cost is only benefit IMO. I would use a torsen type diff like the Tru-trac if in your shoes. Strong, smooth and reliable, no clutches to wear out. Only drawback I have seen is it can act like an open diif when lifting a wheel. Applying brakes can help the problem but it does not seem like that would be a problem for you.

mongocanfly 02-25-2022 08:35 AM

Agree with Richard, im thinking you wont like it, buddy of mine tried one once, he said it was awful on the road

rustyrodknocker 02-25-2022 07:42 PM

Sounds like a new set of spider gears are in order. I'm not going to put too much into this truck. Thanks for the input!

Mike C 02-25-2022 10:26 PM

I would put a clutch type limited slip in it. The 30 spline 8.5” Yukon can be had for just about $300 if you shop around.

I believe everything should have an LSD or traction aid of some type. I run a Powertrax NoSlip in my CJ-5, and for a lunchbox it is surprisingly nice on the street, but they are expensive… I got two for the price of one so both ends of my Jeep are locked for 1/2 price. But I would NOT run a LockRight or a Spartan on the street. They are clunky and ratchety on the asphalt but near seamless off-road.

duallyjams 02-27-2022 12:24 PM

Had a K20 daily driver with 35's and a locker for 4yrs in all types of weather ( rain,snow and ice ) with no problems. It did make a clicking sound making tight turns, never had any loud clunking or any type of jerking with it.

BASE 02-27-2022 02:32 PM

People with heavier trucks seem to get along better with them. I had one in a ‘75 K20 up in AK for a few years and never really even noticed it. Guys with Jeeps seem to end up pulling them right back out and going with LSD’s or air lockers. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe the shorter wheelbase makes it worse too. I dunno, just seems like a trend I’ve seen over the years.

Backpayne 08-16-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BASE (Post 9044020)
People with heavier trucks seem to get along better with them. I had one in a ‘75 K20 up in AK for a few years and never really even noticed it. Guys with Jeeps seem to end up pulling them right back out and going with LSD’s or air lockers. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe the shorter wheelbase makes it worse too. I dunno, just seems like a trend I’ve seen over the years.

Did you ever happen to install a lunchbox locker? I'm looking at them for my '66 4x4 with 35 inch tires.