The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Tahoe Floor Access Plate? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807977)

Ironhorse 06-18-2020 09:39 PM

Tahoe Floor Access Plate?

Really curious as to why GM never put a removable access plate above the fuel pump on Tahoes, Yukons and Suburbans? A simple 12'' x 12'' plate configured to the floor above the fuel pump would make a fuel pump replacement SO MUCH EASIER! Had the pump replaced on our '99 Tahoe and required dropping the tank. That SUCKS big time. With just buying this '05 Tahoe the thought crosses my mind to do such if ever have to replace the pump rather than dropping the tank.

Thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Anyone ever done such a modification to their Tahoe or Burb?

Palf70Step 06-19-2020 07:20 AM

Re: Tahoe Floor Access Plate?

That would make it smart. Mywife's old Kia was that way, although we never needed it in 180K.

MJN 06-19-2020 01:07 PM

No access panel on burbs or Tahoes that I'm aware of. My 2002 Yukon XL had dual tanks and no access panels from above, had to drop both tanks to replace the pumps. The main tanks are under the passenger area floor.

Ironhorse 06-19-2020 06:17 PM

Understand about the lack of floor plate access panels. Just think it would have not been that much for GM to install them going down the assembly line. A bit of consideration and forethought would have been nice on their part. Have owned three Suburbans and two Tahoes and always thought that lack of an access plate was poor thinking on GM's part.

71gmcC15 06-26-2020 01:26 PM

I installed a fuel pump in my 07 classic and and just cut a hole in the floor. Now I'm looking for a pach panel. They don't make them. Make it much easier the next time to.

truckdude239 06-26-2020 02:03 PM

had to drop the tank in my 2000 tahoe to change the tank presure sensor honestly wasnt that bad but then again i ran fuel down to almost empty

S10Fan 07-03-2020 01:28 PM

I cut one into the floor of the 2dr 97 Tahoe I owned. I used rivets to add flanges around the edges and screwed the panel to the flanges. A little HVAC duct sealer tape went over the edges. Careful measurements made the job look almost factory, sorry, no pictures.

Ironhorse 07-03-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10Fan (Post 8768278)
I cut one into the floor of the 2dr 97 Tahoe I owned. I used rivets to add flanges around the edges and screwed the panel to the flanges. A little HVAC duct sealer tape went over the edges. Careful measurements made the job look almost factory, sorry, no pictures.

Sounds interesting for the way you did that. What did you use to do the cutting of the floor panel? Interested in that to get a nice straight even cut. How much room between the floor panel and the top of the tank did you have for cutting?

S10Fan 07-03-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8768382)
Sounds interesting for the way you did that. What did you use to do the cutting of the floor panel? Interested in that to get a nice straight even cut. How much room between the floor panel and the top of the tank did you have for cutting?

Drilled a hole in each corner, stuffed a welding blanket over top the tank, yes, total PIA. Used a saber saw after cutting off a little of the blade. If I remember correctly there was a couple inches or more between the tank and the floor. Again if I remember correctly the hole was roughly 10" square.

Ironhorse 07-04-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10Fan (Post 8768422)
Drilled a hole in each corner, stuffed a welding blanket over top the tank, yes, total PIA. Used a saber saw after cutting off a little of the blade. If I remember correctly there was a couple inches or more between the tank and the floor. Again if I remember correctly the hole was roughly 10" square.

Bryan, thanks for the reply and the tips. Sounds like a future project I need to look into for sure. Has to be a much easier method than having to drop the tank to change the pump. Just really sad that GM design engineers and bean counters couldn't think to do this on all Tahoes and Suburbans going down the assembly line. If done decently with a good fit would work fine also on pickup beds.