The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I thought this was a pretty cool find (72 Cheyenne Super shortwide big block).... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503717)

jocko 01-16-2012 12:25 AM

I thought this was a pretty cool find (72 Cheyenne Super shortwide big block)....

5 Attachment(s)
Posting this because, well, because I may not be buying it so wanted to share.....

Found it in Hemmings, and placed a call. Nice gent named Ken selling it (just for a disclaimer, I don't know him at all and I do not get a cut on this - but it's just so cool I wanted to at least let you all know about it - maybe someone is looking for one just like it. Who WOULDN'T be looking for one like this....)

Anyhoo, it's a 72 Cheyenne Super short-wide, big block. It has 52K miles and original paint. Seller is 3rd owner and it's been in Vegas its whole life.

Currently not running - or at least hasn't run in a long time - he said it leaks a lot, etc etc. In other words, it's a project. He has paperwork all the way back to original owner and the original build sheet which matches the SPID - I've seen them. Seems very legit. Original paint - even has the remnants of some funky 70's pinstriping on it. Has a pretty good whack on the drivers side door - lower left corner, very difficult to see in pics, but it's there. And the front bed rail is bent a bit - but both are really no big deal (in my mind). But it's not every day you find a 52K mile original big block cheyenne super. In original solid ochre, no less.

Anyway, he was asking $12K, I don't know if that's firm. Here's his phone # 702-873-9944. I can't get it because I'm probably moving in the not too distant future - same problem I've always got! But thought one of you might enjoy. It's also listed in February Hemmings for ref.

Just wanted to share - here it is, good luck!

jocko 01-16-2012 12:27 AM

Re: I thought this was a pretty cool find (72 Cheyenne Super shortwide big block)....

5 Attachment(s)
a few more pics for you. Obviously the asking price is based on the rarity and originality here. Personally, I think it's a pretty cool truck - wish I could grab it.

dan42 01-16-2012 12:34 AM

Re: I thought this was a pretty cool find (72 Cheyenne Super shortwide big block)....

hmmm. A little high for a non running truck. Nice potential though.

Zoomin 01-16-2012 12:36 AM

That is a pretty cool truck.

YBNORML 01-16-2012 12:46 AM

Nice truck, I love the solid ochre with all the trim:)

jocko 01-16-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan42 (Post 5125838)
hmmm. A little high for a non running truck. Nice potential though.

I'm with ya Dan - BUT, it's pretty darn rare to find one at all that is this untouched - it really is the top of the line for the year and it's never been monkeyed with. I think he told me he had the air cleaner and valve covers, but not the wheels (although I see a set of rallies on a shelf in the background of pic #1, just sayin :)). But you're right, clearly a project. I struggled with this too, still wanted to get it - but in the end, my situation trumped my druthers (and my wallet).

dan42 01-16-2012 12:55 AM

Oh, I totally agree - a very rare truck and a really cool one at that. I would love to have it. I guess what I meant was that at that price it's not a bargain, but it is neat to see one that original. If I ever buy another one, I will go for original over everything else. Thanks for posting the pictures.

19seventeeCustom 01-16-2012 01:36 AM

I think it's a damn cool truck, and think the asking price isn't far off at ALL.

yeah, it needs some tlc, but were looking at a very nice survivor BB, I mean how cheap do you want to get it for???:mm:

btw, don't tell c10 king, this truck looks like one that would be setting in his driveway.:lol:

YBNORML 01-16-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 5125968)
I think it's a damn cool truck, and think the asking price isn't far off at ALL.

yeah, it needs some tlc, but were looking at a very nice survivor BB, I mean how cheap do you want to get it for???:mm:

btw, don't tell c10 king, this truck looks like one that would be setting in his driveway.:lol:

:) at least we would know it ended up at a good home!
Posted via Mobile Device

jocko 01-16-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 5125968)

Doesn't DMV charge a fee if you own more then 18 ochre trucks?

rsavage 01-16-2012 08:34 AM

Very nice survivor. Did Chevy change the ac compressor on big blocks or in 72? Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but that compressor looks shorter than the two I have on the 70 and 71. Not knocking - just looking for some education.

specialtyretail 01-16-2012 12:39 PM

Not sure, but I think it is just the picture angle.

C/10 King 01-16-2012 12:48 PM

Big potential, my kinda of truck! :lol:

VWBeamer 01-16-2012 12:52 PM

Seems high, but it would be hard to take a beater and get in that shape for 12K...and this is an original big block truck.

These 67-72 trucks are becoming more popular everyday. I think he will get near his asking price.

Thanks for posting :-)

72freak 01-16-2012 01:12 PM

I love it and the color too!! Unfortunatley Barett Jackson strikes again though....

no moa 01-16-2012 01:23 PM

Thats a nice looking truck, hard to believe that seat got that bad on a 52k mile truck, damn sweet though.

lolife99 01-16-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWBeamer (Post 5126546)
Seems high, but it would be hard to take a beater and get in that shape for 12K...and this is an original big block truck.

That is the most correct statement in this entire thread.
Has anyone priced paint and bodywork lately?

Maybe I'm biased because its an original paint, '72, Big Block, Cheyenne Super, swb truck.

shawno72 01-16-2012 01:31 PM

I'll take it...oh wait not for sale here..:lol:

jocko 01-16-2012 01:56 PM

it's for sale in NV though... that's just a hop, skip, and a jump, right?

lolife and vwbeamer - I agree kinda high for any given truck in this condition - but, to me, 90% of the price for this truck is the rarity and the originality. Yes, it would take about $10-15K to get it fully restored. Would it be worth more than the $12K selling price (or whatever he settles on) PLUS the, let's say, $12.5K resto price - I'd submit yes. Fully restored big block cheyenne super with all orig numbers matching like this would easily sell for more than $24.5K I believe. But I had the same reservations - lotsa work to be done to it (good point about the seat, but I believe the mileage is legit - over to the buyer though). Personally, I'd be happy with a 350! but this one caught my eye. Really tempted to buy it just for a future project - but with all the moves in between now and the time I'd get to it, I'd have another $3-4.5K in it in shipping costs (2-3 moves, maybe) before I even took a can of wax to it. Crimeny. I'll bet someone on here is calling on it already!!! I hope so - wanted you all to see this, I thought it was interesting - no, it's not a steal by any stretch, that's for sure, but if you have your heart set on an original, low mileage big block cheyenne super - this is something that will get your attention! As such, probably a fair price. Like they say, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'd say a couple cans of ether and send it to Barrett Jackson as is - some knucklehead will pay $50K for it there... :)

EDIT - sameyrasmea, this made me think of YOUR truck!!

lolife99 01-16-2012 02:03 PM

I wouldn't restore it.
I'd clean it up.
Re-do the seat.
Add the missing trim.
Lower it.
Drive the crap out of it.

You'll have the rest of your life to do a frame off.
These trucks are a dying breed.

jocko 01-16-2012 02:09 PM

good point - and that is one approach I considered. The guy did elaborate on the leaks on it though - and it may take a good bit of sealing to get it driveable - axles, engine, trans, etc. Some tell-tales: "no oil" reminder on the windhsield and the string of drip pans below. But, seals are minor, not a showstopper.

I too would prefer to keep the paint just as is - but, personally, I'm not sure I could live with the remnants of the wild 70's pinstriping. It's faded a lot, but you can get hints of it in some of the pics. If it's no more noticeable than it is in the pics, then not a problem for me.

Hey, if we keep talkin, you all may talk me back into this thing...

Another approach I thought of was to just redo the interior, get it running somewhat reliably, and then do an external repaint only. i.e. keep the chalk marks on the firewall, etc etc. But who knows. Many ways to skin the cat. Ugh... decisions, decisions....

EDIT - oh yeah, I would feel compelled to paint the roof white. :jdp:

lolife99 01-16-2012 02:31 PM

Just my opinion.
I wouldn't repaint it,... unless you plan on keeping it forever.
They are worth much more in original paint.
(my opinion)

Take some 1000 grit to the "pinstriping" and run a buffer over the entire truck.
Done.

C/10 King 01-16-2012 02:41 PM

When the right person shows up that truck will sell, for or close to the asking price, "mark my words" if the owner waits it out he'll find some one that will pay his price, it may take a couple of months but someone will pay, people that love big blocks and this body style, really love big blocks and this body style! :chevy:

no moa 01-16-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C/10 King (Post 5126741)
When the right person shows up that truck will sell, for or close to the asking price, "mark my words" if the owner waits it out he'll find some one that will pay his price, it may take a couple of months but someone will pay, people that love big blocks and this body style, really love big blocks and this body style! :chevy:

So when are you going to show up to get it? :lol:

C/10 King 01-16-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no moa (Post 5126780)
So when are you going to show up to get it? :lol:

After the 70' sells, Surprise!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding. ;) I have something else in the making!:chevy: