The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=317683)

LuckyHenriksen 12-04-2008 09:27 PM

First Time On The Freeway

I made the 50+ mile round trip to school today, first time in the freeway and it drove great! Lots of wind resistance though.... People loved it and it was very popular with the auto mech. guys. I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on the way home for having way too much "visible emissions" (I think I need new rings, pistons, etc...) at least he was cool and liked the truck and didn't give me a ticket.....
Now for the problem, my newly professionally rebuilt TH400 was working fine, up until the last few miles of my return journey, it started downshifting and not shifting out of second, and it would seem to pop out of gear and just freewheel, it was very annoying and hard to deal with. Sometimes it just wouldn't move until I reved it way up. I stopped and checked the vacuum lines- everything seemed fine. I stopped again and checked the fluid, said it was perfectly full. Anyone have any ideas? I'll call the trans shop tomorrow. Thanks for listening to my story! I am very proud that it held together all the way there and mostly back. If you have any advice it would be appreciated.

jorgensensc 12-04-2008 09:37 PM

Re: !

Check your fluid again. It may have been full, but the driving may have fully filled your torque convertor and now it may be low.
Shawn

oldblue1968chevy 12-04-2008 10:05 PM

cool!

I drive mine 15 miles round trip to school and back every day! You'll get looks of comments, good and bad lol

bigsnookmaster 12-04-2008 10:52 PM

Try checking the vacuum line at the modulator valve right at the tranny. That happened to me at the track after several passes,thought I blew the tranny but the vac. at the tranny just came off.Good luck:chevy:

67ChevyRedneck 12-04-2008 10:54 PM

You should be checking the fluid hot and while it's running :D

If you just added fluid, run it slowly though the gears, P R N D 2 1 and back up a couple times and that should get it in the TC.

LuckyHenriksen 12-05-2008 01:44 AM

Well I checked the fluid after I had been driving for 30 minutes or more, so it was plenty hot, but I am going to check it again and look for leaks.

Yes most the comments were good, one guy was calling it a "chulito mobile" something about it being a mexi-style lowrider whatever. I told him to get bent, he was a teacher and didn't like that, but he just walked off

72lb4x4 12-05-2008 02:58 AM

I had no idea being a white bread yankee, what chulito meant, but a quick google shows its a good thing unless the guy waved funny. Of course "chulito mobile" might be different...

Hope the trans is ok...

LuckyHenriksen 12-05-2008 03:04 AM

I have no idea what it means, I just don't want him calling my truck that! :lol: Maybe it was a compliment who knows

Wait I just looked it up and it means cutie? Thats pretty creepy. i don't know if he knows what it means.