The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thought I fixed it, but apparently I didn't (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=188294)

5150 02-04-2006 02:00 PM

Thought I fixed it, but apparently I didn't

Well, I had to put on a new starter yesterday and put it on and was still having a starting/electrical problem. Drove it up to Advance and they tested the battery and it was bad. This isn't what I'm pissed about last week I thought I fixed my fuel gauge. I was driving to Advance and the fuel gauge just started going to full-problem is it didn't stop there. It went all the way to 3:00.

I've went back and looked at all my posts about this damn thing and I can't find anything that related to THIS.

Mongo 02-04-2006 02:23 PM

Re: Thought I fixed it, but apparently I didn't

sounds like your sending unit is going south. or maybe you need one of them new resistor kits for the gauge.

5150 02-04-2006 02:26 PM

That's just it I just bought a fix-a-gauge resistor for the fuel and put a different printed circuit board. It takes me forever to finally get the damn needle to budge and finally when it does it won't stay still!!!!!

69TowRig 02-04-2006 02:27 PM

If either of the connections (the ground or the signal) become disconnected from the sender then the gauge pegs out like that. Make sure all the connections are good and tight.

From what I understand the fix-a-gauge is only for the 1/8th= empty, 1/2 = full gauge fix.

I just went through fixing my sending unit last week. What most people would have thrown out I repaired and it is working great. The tiny wires inside the unit had a broken turn and the grounds inside the sender were all corroded. You may want to pull the sender apart and burnish all the contacts and grounding points. It made mine rock-steady and didn't cost me anything but time.

5150 02-04-2006 06:08 PM

Well, pulled off the wire and turned on the key and the gauge went to 3:00 so I guess that means it's the sender.

What's the odds that the resistor and the sender would be the problem?

69TowRig 02-04-2006 07:42 PM

*EDITED* I had a brain-fart and screwed up the suggestion. I fixed it now.

Do this first, take the lead from the sender (at the tank end) and ground it out with a jumper to something solid on the truck. The guage should then go to "empty". If it does, the problem is at the sender and not the resistor. Double-check the ground for the sender too, jumper from the sender ground tab to the same solid grounding point on the truck.

Man I hate it for you. I had a myriad of electrical issues, and spent about 2 months tracking most of them down at the end of last year. After unplugging and plugging every harness, plug, etc, using silicone dielectric grease on every connection, replacing numerous fuses and bulbs, a switch here and there, I finally have a solid electrical system. The tank sender issue was the last one I tackled, and I only did that last weekend.

LUV2XCLR8 02-04-2006 07:44 PM

Damn Brian, you are having rotten luck, maybe you should have bought a Gremlin :(

5150 02-04-2006 11:26 PM

You say that like you know ones for sale?

Maybe I'll take you up on it, where is it?