The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Stopped by the ford dealership (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=801706)

TwoFiftyShifter 03-09-2020 08:28 PM

Re: Stopped by the ford dealership

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8691936)
I was just looking on the nearest Chevy dealer website today. They are now calling a short bed a "standard bed" :rolleyes:

There are 3 bed choices in the half ton segment for just about 15 years now. Short is 5.5ft, long is 8ft and 6.5ft is standard.

Is there a better term to use?

1976gmc20 03-09-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter (Post 8691987)
There are 3 bed choices in the half ton segment for just about 15 years now. Short is 5.5ft, long is 8ft and 6.5ft is standard.

Is there a better term to use?

A standard bed to me is 8 feet.

dajn 03-09-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8692024)
A standard bed to me is 8 feet.

Lol. I thought I was the only one anymore. A standard bed is 8 foot. The rest are short beds. Very simple in my mind.

dajn 03-09-2020 09:50 PM

The bed on my 2001 s10 is seven feet six inches long. So what is that?

1976gmc20 03-09-2020 09:51 PM

I'm looking online at a 2016 K2500HD "work truck" single cab long/standard bed, 6.0 and 6sp AT, 73K miles, $22K

(it's at the nearest dealer about 70 miles away)

1976gmc20 03-09-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajn (Post 8692036)
The bed on my 2001 s10 is seven feet six inches long. So what is that?

"almost a pickup" ???

:lol:

dajn 03-09-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8692038)
"almost a pickup" ???

:lol:

Haha. Exactly.

dajn 03-09-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8692037)
I'm looking online at a 2016 K2500HD "work truck" single cab long/standard bed, 6.0 and 6sp AT, 73K miles, $22K

(it's at the nearest dealer about 70 miles away)

Hard to go wrong with that setup. I have never personally owned a 6.0 but from everything I have ever heard about them, the only knock is the gas mileage. But you already know that and it's not that bad. Sounds like a good deal to me. A 500K vehicle with minimal maintenance. Buy it is my vote.

special-K 03-10-2020 08:13 AM

I guess the extended cab has become the standard cab, too? That's like a thread a member started asking about using bigger brakes asking about backspace on his larger diameter rims. He could only find threads that used "small" wheels. You know, 15", the standard size for 1/2t trucks for eons until the truck newbie market came along. Small wheels would be less than 15" diameter and over 16" would be large.

What next? Will the LS become the standard engine? Has a 4/6 drop become standard height? Steering wheels are too big, cabs aren't big enough, long beds look out of proportion, C/10s look lifted with stock springs, 15" wheels are small, and 300hp isn't all that powerful anymore. The boys need to get their perspective straightened out, is how it looks to me.

Stocker 03-10-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8692190)
I guess the extended cab has become the standard cab, too? That's like a thread a member started asking about using bigger brakes asking about backspace on his larger diameter rims. He could only find threads that used "small" wheels. You know, 15", the standard size for 1/2t trucks for eons until the truck newbie market came along. Small wheels would be less than 15" diameter and over 16" would be large.

What next? Will the LS become the standard engine? Has a 4/6 drop become standard height? Steering wheels are too big, cabs aren't big enough, long beds look out of proportion, C/10s look lifted with stock springs, 15" wheels are small, and 300hp isn't all that powerful anymore. The boys need to get their perspective straightened out, is how it looks to me.

:lol: With all due respect, Tim, this sounds like the ramblings of an old geezer! Not that that's a bad thing, I am one myself.

Why, back in my day, I walked to school.... four miles through deep snow.... uphill both directions....

Dang snot-nosed whippersnappers these days don't know how good they got it. Sniff sniff...... :lol:

special-K 03-10-2020 10:37 AM

:lol: Well interpreted :cool:

I meant "newfound truck market" as a whole when I said "truck newbie". It's not about the people

FleetsidePaul 03-10-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8692269)
:lol: With all due respect, Tim, this sounds like the ramblings of an old geezer! Not that that's a bad thing, I am one myself.

Why, back in my day, I walked to school.... four miles through deep snow.... uphill both directions....

Dang snot-nosed whippersnappers these days don't know how good they got it. Sniff sniff...... :lol:

I had to walk 10 miles in a hurricane with wolves chasing me. :lol:

Actually I rode in the back of a station wagon listening to my mother complain. I would have preferred the wolves.

1976gmc20 03-10-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8692190)

As I recall, 16" wheels were standard on pickups in the 1950s and later they "modernized" and went to 15" on half-tons. I used to have a pair of 16" rims with mud/snow tires that I ran on the back of my 65 stepside. They bolted right up, and were cheap and tires back then lasted more than six years.

The problem I have with 15" wheels is that you can't get ten ply tires for them. It's okay for light stuff like my Jeep but I can barely keep tires on my Suburban on the roads we have out here. The old bias ply 7.00-15 actually held up quite well back then but of course they wore out in 12K miles.

I don't have any problem with larger wheels. I have a big problem with lower profile tires. Not everything is a damn sports car and those low sidewall tires are worthless on pickups off pavement. So heck yeah, I would be all for a 20" wheel with a 40" tire on a lifted pickup :lol: (funny, that's about what was on my old C50)

I don't even have a problem with short (6.5') beds. I used to have one and I loved it! It was just a single cab of course because that was about all they made back then. I used it to haul my saws and fuel, etc to the woods, leaving the C50 and log trailer parked at camp along with the nice lwb K10 with a camper in case my wife needed transportation. That short stepside pickup was a great runabout in the mountains or in town and I wish I'd never sold it :( It would have been so great to start my girls driving on it.

I also get that urban folks can use a four door pickup with a short bed just for misc hauling. But basically those outfits are just the replacement for the rwd four door sedans that they used to make. Look how you can just go buy a hard cover to make the bed into a trunk. The gunvermin came along and decreed "y'all need to drive smaller cars." Then the peasants revolted and said "hell, no - we're going to drive Subdivisions and Exploreditions and humongous four door sedans with token beds that can be called pickups!"

Now just try to find a pickup, new or used, with a single cab and long bed :(

One trouble with all these sedan pickups is that after they're ten years old and not so nice and new anymore, what are you going to do with them ??? A standard 8' bed pickup will always be a pickup, useful and desirable as long as it is still running no matter how beat up it gets. Park it in the side yard and haul trash on the weekend, or use it out on the ranch. But what do you do with a not-quite-a-pickup when the wife won't drive it anymore?

whitedog76 03-10-2020 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For reference sake, what a shortbed truck used to look like.

72 tigger 03-10-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitedog76 (Post 8692520)
For reference sake, what a shortbed truck used to look like.

That’s funny!

special-K 03-11-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8692574)
That’s funny!

And accurate!