The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Tank size vs. Compressor size (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=398643)

butterboy 04-21-2010 02:09 PM

Tank size vs. Compressor size

Ok my 70 c-10 is ready for the air tank and compressor.
My question is:
If I go with a 10-12 gallon tank do I need 2 compressors?
I am running 1/2 line to everything and my valves and bags are 1/2 also.
The bigger the tank the longer between fill ups? correct?

Also, what compressors do you guys run?

Ok Ok one more question is 1/2 over kill for everything? What kind of rise and lower time can I expect? (I plan on really using my air system)
Thanks in advance!!
Tommy

colin_havens 04-21-2010 09:45 PM

Re: Tank size vs. Compressor size

Half inch line is fast... I didnt realise how much a difference it was when I came from 3/8 that was pinched down to actually about 1/4 line. I wanted mine fast going up though as if I was dragging my truck I would be able to get my truck up with a quickness. To calm some of the harshness of dumping the truck, I put reducers in my dump valves to slow it down when laying it out so it doesnt slam down. As far as one compressor on a tank that size, i would only do that if i was going with either an engine driven compressor (a york ) or an Oasis (which is just a york driven with an electric motor). anything else would have a loooonnngg fill up time, and run your compressor real hard. Im running the new Air Zenith compressor on 2 3 gallon tanks, and its not too bad on the fill up time. I still want to go to an EDC. Just have to figure out how to build a mount for the passenger side of the motor, but with double hump heads (no accessory holes)

bedsled71 04-21-2010 11:13 PM

the bigger the tank the more the comps work

butterboy 04-21-2010 11:46 PM

So if I run a ten gallon tank I should run two compressors to help with the fill time. Thanks. So if I move down to an eight gallon tank I could buy one good compressor I'm thinking.thanks

N2TRUX 04-22-2010 09:01 PM

If it were me, I would go with the ViAir 380 twin pack. They can be had at a reasonable price and move a nice volume of air. For ease of mounting you might look at two 3 gallon tanks.

mullit 04-22-2010 09:56 PM

dual 480's and a 8 1/2 gallon tank is the way to go, enough to get you off the ground in one shot and your not over working your compressors

csa daddy 05-25-2010 08:29 PM

ok what about one viair 480c an a 4.5 gallon air tank all 1/2 line valves an bags on a 1 ton dually. would this work out allright or should i do another 5 gallon tank with another viair 480c. sorry for jumping in here by the way

dznucks 05-26-2010 07:11 AM

I have two 3 gallon tanks and a single viair. i wish i had installed bigger tanks. I would go with more volume if i had it to do all over again. my compressor kicks on after raising it from aired out.

I dont air up or down much so its not a huge problem for me, but if you plan on using your system alot, i would go with more volume and more compressor.

csa daddy 05-26-2010 07:38 AM

well thanks. i was going to use this to get started cause i dont have the money yet for the valves so i figured i would just use shrader valves an was wondering if what i got would work ok to lift the truck with. i wont play with it till i get all 8 valves. i found a cool set of tanks off a bostitch air compressor to use for my tanks the tanks are 4.5 gallons an easily mountable.