The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Anyone can buy an SWB... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=799484)

SCOTI 01-17-2021 01:42 AM

Re: Anyone can buy an SWB...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8864997)
I spend a lot of time visualizing and mentally planning but I still just figured it out as I go along. I think most of the builders here do something similar,, you can never have all the answers ahead of time. Im not sure why I do this work. Considering its Not a necessity and my work is only a hobby. I am obsessive about the aesthetics of most things and have a Love of the innards of custom or heavily modified chassis. the culture of chassis fab has shaped me over the years I guess..

This is my latest work. Its my 98 Im rebuilding. SFBD w/ C/O’s, tri-3 Link.
2x4 1/8” wall & 1.5 round tube.
[

Dude.... Nice! Lotta work right there!

I've been doing some tweaks to my OBS '99 CC SWB as well. Definitely not to your extent but a little lower than it was w/some fresh steering gear.

Inverter 01-17-2021 01:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks. I tried to sell the 98, almost couldn't give it away... I still have feelings for it so I disassembled it and said F it, I try something diff.

They just have great lines. Im going to raise the fender arches and run my 30+” tires with a 5” ride height.

These pics are better. I work on it a little each day.
Attachment 2074841

Attachment 2074842

SCOTI 01-17-2021 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8865334)
Thanks. I tried to sell the 98, almost couldn't give it away... I still have feelings for it so I disassembled it and said F it, I try something diff.

They just have great lines. Im going to raise the fender arches and run my 30+” tires with a 5” ride height.

These pics are better. I work on it a little each day.

I'm leaving well enough alone on mine. Bolt-on static drop w/some tweaks for reinforcement & corrections. Still kicked my old-arse. Crawling around on parking-lot concrete doing the work/mods was rough. I was definitely feeling my age on this one.

Inverter 01-17-2021 02:50 AM

Ha.. my knees dont like it when I squat for too long. What tweeks are you doin and what is the correction for?

tucktuck 01-17-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8864988)
Yea. getting closer though. The point where all 4 panels meet on each side(door,fender,cowl,hood) wasnt designed to fit well or tight. Its a process to figure out where to cut and move being that every move of one panel affects the remaining 3 panel gaps. Im well vested in this truck so its getting finished I forecast about spring time or so. Stayin on it, I wont disappoint.

Can't wait to see it...

I've been wanting to build one of these for years and finally picked one up a couple months ago. It's already down to the frame and starting to stockpile parts and strip the body down to bare metal.

I don't think it will be anything as crazy as yours, but you never know. It is a sickness, but I'm cool with it.

Too many great ideas on this build threads that lead you down a rabbit hole.

Inverter 01-17-2021 05:19 AM

Yep. It can get out of hand.
Ive done it a few times. I would suggest not to get carried away buying parts ahead of time. Usually it takes years to finish a complete build. You likely will change your mind on some things and could get stuck with unwanted parts.
One stage at a time. Start with chassis (frame/suspension/brakes), drivetrain (rear end), plumbing (brake/fuel lines), motor & trans, exhaust, body, in that order. Only buy parts for the stage you are in. This way you can have good access to your work without barriers like Laying out exhaust or mounting a motor/trans with the cab/body in the way.
Be careful, eye protection n such. Enjoy the journey.

SCOTI 01-17-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8865349)
Ha.. my knees dont like it when I squat for too long. What tweeks are you doin and what is the correction for?

Reinforcement for the c-notches & shock angle correction for the pass side shock.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=816847

tucktuck 10-08-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8865359)
Yep. It can get out of hand.
Ive done it a few times. I would suggest not to get carried away buying parts ahead of time. Usually it takes years to finish a complete build. You likely will change your mind on some things and could get stuck with unwanted parts.
One stage at a time. Start with chassis (frame/suspension/brakes), drivetrain (rear end), plumbing (brake/fuel lines), motor & trans, exhaust, body, in that order. Only buy parts for the stage you are in. This way you can have good access to your work without barriers like Laying out exhaust or mounting a motor/trans with the cab/body in the way.
Be careful, eye protection n such. Enjoy the journey.

This is what I have been doing for the most part, some things I went ahead and bought that are hard to find etc...

Please tell me that this isn't still in lockdown...

YellowK5 10-08-2021 12:34 PM

Impressive work....Why buy what you can make!

Gregski 10-09-2021 12:21 AM

Mad Skillz

Warrens69GMC 10-09-2021 12:56 AM

You did all that work to make it a lowered shortbed? Congratulations?

Sorry, I liked it better as a longbed.

SCOTI 10-09-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8981826)
You did all that work to make it a lowered shortbed? Congratulations?

Sorry, I liked it better as a longbed.

And we're ok w/you guys. Nothing wrong w/long beds if thats your thing. '"All that work" was a wee bit more than just going from a LWB to SWB.