The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting door to line up (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851632)

Belsh 03-25-2024 03:57 PM

Getting door to line up

2 Attachment(s)
My door sits slightly behind the line of the fender, is it possible to pack out the hinges if I make a plate? The fender is as tight to the body as it can be at the top, I could bend the bottom wing support to pull the bottom in but unsure about the top

Thanks again guys

dmjlambert 03-25-2024 07:20 PM

Re: Getting door to line up

Perhaps adjust the door out by loosening the bolts on the door, pulling the door out, then re-tightening the bolts.

dmb 03-25-2024 08:20 PM

Are there any shims in the fender? if so remove them. If not adjust the door hinges

Roostre 03-25-2024 08:21 PM

They make body shims to do just what you're describing.

RustyPile 03-26-2024 08:39 PM

The factory fit the doors slightly in for a reason.. This is done to reduce wind noise across the gap.. Ask any Bonafide Body man...

dmjlambert 03-26-2024 08:56 PM

That is very interesting. You made me go outside and look at mine. Sure enough, the door fits slightly in like Belsh's, both sides of the truck. Something I wouldn't notice unless pointed out. I think I'll leave it that way and worry about it only occasionally.

RustyPile 03-26-2024 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 9299155)
That is very interesting. You made me go outside and look at mine. Sure enough, the door fits slightly in like Belsh's, both sides of the truck. Something I wouldn't notice unless pointed out. I think I'll leave it that way and worry about it only occasionally.

OR, you could do like I do and find something else to obsess over and not worry about the doors at all.. ;) :D

HO455 03-27-2024 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's how they fit from the factory. The door is not flat as shown in photo. Generally if you move the door out to get the edges to meet then the front of the door window frame is proud causing the door to fit poorly against the door seal. In addition the fit at the bottom won't be consistent from front to back.

GM made the body assembly person proof so that even if a line worker wanted to try and line the pieces perfectly they couldn't. No need to have unnecessary noise complaints. NVH was a complaint back then too. Just not like today's complaints.

Lot's of money has been thrown at GM vehicles over the years to "Correct" what GM designed in. So much money in fact if I had it I could've retired a decade ago.:lol:

1970cstblazer 03-27-2024 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The factory assembly manual shows the door edge slightly curving inward where it meets the front fender.