The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Old Timmer trick or what? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759692)

67chevemall 03-19-2018 10:13 AM

Old Timmer trick or what?

Well I thought is was going crazy.
But after sleeping on it I can't figure it
out. First of all the truck came with no
door keys, so in trying to replace the cylinder
I found the doors will not lock at all.
If you lock the door and slam it the lock pops up and open. If you shut the door with the window down and try to lock the door it will not lock. Impossible to push down on the knob.?...?
Any ideas. My guess is someone got locked out to many times and made a fix....

Ol Blue K20 03-19-2018 10:22 AM

Re: Old Timmer trick or what?

Or put the doors together wrong....need lubed. ...these trucks were supposed to be locked manually with the key.

beaterku 03-19-2018 10:44 AM

You need to adjust the striker plate. Mine was doing the same thing. I spent a few hours adjusting and it closes like butter and locks no problem now.

LockDoc 03-19-2018 10:55 AM

-
^^^^ What he said....

Use some PB Blaster or similar on the door lock and latch first. You can get to it through the window channel with the window rolled down. If it still doesn't want to cooperate try moving the striker plate out a bit. Be sure and mark around it with a fine felt tip marker first so you can tell how far you have moved it. Only go about 1/16" at a time and don't let it move up or down, just out. It shouldn't take much if that's the problem.

If that doesn't fix it replace the latches.

LockDoc.

67chevemall 03-19-2018 11:48 AM

Sweet thanks guys I will try that tonight.
Being the same problem on both sides I thought this was some kind of mac giver fix

ryans69chevy 03-19-2018 07:06 PM

So you guys are saying the door should stay locked if you lock it and then close the door? Mine doesn't do that, they pop back up. I thought I remember a thread a few years back stating that Chevy did that as a safety feature... maybe I'm remembering wrong?

harpo231 03-19-2018 07:20 PM

Ya ,you need to lock with key....

dmjlambert 03-19-2018 07:58 PM

It's pretty hard to accidentally lock your keys in the truck.

hewittca 03-19-2018 09:19 PM

I learned about this when I thought the guy I bought my truck from forgot to give me the door key. Turns out, there is only one key for these trucks. The ignition key also locks the doors. Also, what a few mentioned above is correct. If you lock the door and shut it, it will unlock. You have to lock the door with the key after it's shut. If you can't lock it when the door is shut, you need to adjust the door/striker. My driver door shuts and locks perfectly. My passenger door is difficult to shut and will not lock/unlock no matter how hard I try. I do really need to get around to adjusting it...

ryans69chevy 03-19-2018 11:15 PM

Right on. I misinterpreted what lockdoc said. Sorry for the confusion!

toolboxchev 03-19-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8215932)

Someone was thinking. I can remember when they stopped that. Became a criminal helping others out!

67chevemall 03-20-2018 09:06 AM

Pretty awesome feature for a 67 truck.

I adjusted the pass side and now I can push down the lock when the door is closed.
I had my other truck for 20 years but it had shaved handles and poppers.
The drivers side is another story. I will have to start a post for help.
Thanks now I know how they work.
I guess I can return the lock cylinders if the ign key works for the doors

60case 03-20-2018 09:25 AM

I had a 70 C10 in high school I think if you lock the door and hold the button in on the door handle when closing the door it will stay locked. I know my 63 Biscayne was that eway.

RustyBucket 03-20-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8215932)

...... not hard at ALL for me lock my keys in my newer vehicles. :o older & dumber all the time. just renewed my AAA membership.

LockDoc 03-20-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60case (Post 8216352)
I had a 70 C10 in high school I think if you lock the door and hold the button in on the door handle when closing the door it will stay locked. I know my 63 Biscayne was that eway.

That won't work on the trucks either....

LockDoc

Troy Sr 03-20-2018 10:47 AM

Someone above said that these trucks came with only one key... mine had two, so I bought an ignition and door lock set that were keyed with only one key. Also as LockDoc said it won't stay locked if you hold the button in, although my '55 Belair does!

67chevemall 03-21-2018 09:53 AM

I tried the ign key last night and it won't even go in the hole. Going to change the cylinder and use 2 keys.
Passenger side is good I can reach over and lock it now after adjusting the striker.