The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   how do you get rid of smoke smell? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=379020)

thelonerife 01-02-2010 04:59 AM

how do you get rid of smoke smell?

Looking at a newer vehicle but I could tell instantly that the previous owner smoked. Cloth seats,carpet. 3 row seats too. Is there a process or a way to get rid of the smell:smoke:?

cdowns 01-02-2010 07:45 AM

Re: how do you get rid of smoke smell?

a good rug shampoo on carpet and fabric seats will remove alot then treating with a fabric spray like febreeze// some newer cars have airfilters for the interior of the car that holds smells too// recently i saw a product on "2guys garage" that they used to desmell a car but i didnt get info on it..

tapeworm 01-02-2010 08:18 AM

The dealership I work at has a electric ion cleaner thing (sorry, forgot what the actual name is)

I'm told is does wonders for removing tobacco smoke sell. The machine plugs into
120V and left inside the car all day.

See if a local detailing shop offers such a service

2badgn 01-02-2010 11:46 AM

If u have 1/2 day on your hands, u can save money and do it yourself. I would completely vacuum the interior. Shampoo the carpets and matts with a spray cleaner and then air dry & re-vacuum. Since they are cloth seats, buy a spray fabric cleaner and gently brush in the cleaner and then re-vacuum to dry. Protect with Automotive Fabric Spray. Clean the interior door panels and dash with vinyl cleaner and then protect with a Protectant such as 303. Clean the interior windows. Finally, spray with Auto Fabreeze and change the cabin air filter.

This should completely get rid of all odors.
Check out Auopia.org for more ideas and/or Autogeek.net

Joe67 01-02-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 3705369)
Looking at a newer vehicle but I could tell instantly that the previous owner smoked. Cloth seats,carpet. 3 row seats too. Is there a process or a way to get rid of the smell:smoke:?

Pull the seats, steam clean the carpets and seats. Scrub all plastic trim with Simple Green or another cleaner of choice.
Don't forget the headliner ;)

Febreeze will only mask odors, cleaning will do the trick :D

72BlckButy 01-04-2010 09:46 AM

tapeworm presented a great machine. My dad used to work at a dealership after he retired, and when they would get in a "smoker" they would set this machine inside the vehicle and let it run for a 1/2 day, a day, or however long it would take. This thing did wonders for several vehicles they sold not long after.

2badgn presented some great ideas as well. If it were me I would completely remove the seats and break down the clean up as Joe mentioned.

piecesparts 01-07-2010 04:45 PM

The one place that the smells will be the most predominant in will be the headliner. This of course is the worst thing to try to clean. Most headliners are now the cloth with the foam backing that is glued to a fiberglass formed piece. if you get this too wet it deteriorates and starts to hang down in the vehicle. You can use a wet upholstery clearner/vacuum and apply a very light mist of water to the material and suck the residue from the fabric, but be careful. I have used a squirt bottle with water that has a small amount of vinegar in it to do such cleaning. Be sure to use the upholstery vacuum to pul what you can from the material.

Crone84 01-07-2010 04:46 PM

You could try smoking something else to cover up the smell.

Joe67 01-08-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crone84 (Post 3716703)

I like how you think :lol:

piecesparts 01-08-2010 11:23 AM

Wow Man, what is that in the rear view mirror?????? Is it Officer Stidanko?

oldblue1968chevy 01-09-2010 10:36 PM

LOL you crack me up

I gotta AWFUL burnt wire smell in my truck no carpet headliner only thing cloth is the seat tried febreeze worked great for 5 minutes then it came back whats next? lite up a joint in the cab lol

JK bout the joint...

any ideas

thelonerife 01-09-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

I gave that up years ago lol. thanks guys for all the replies and advice. My wife doesn't even like to talk about the smoke smelling suv so I kept looking and found a truck in TX. I will fly out and drive it home next Sat. It supposedly hasn't been smoked in but if it has I will be taking a lot of your suggestions and puting them to work. I hope that it hasn't as shes going with me. :smoke:

THANKS AGAIN!

badriv455 02-22-2010 10:20 PM

I have heard of people using a spray sold in sporting goods stores that deer hunters use to mask their smell from the deer. Never tried it. If anyone does, post whether it works or not. Its worth a try.

DPowers 02-22-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badriv455 (Post 3818580)
I have heard of people using a spray sold in sporting goods stores that deer hunters use to mask their smell from the deer. Never tried it. If anyone does, post whether it works or not. Its worth a try.

Just don't get "Buck Lure" by mistake....

badriv455 02-22-2010 11:17 PM

Unless you have a gunrack in your back window

310lissik_70'C10 03-02-2010 02:32 PM

fabreaze?:pty:

70k52wd 03-07-2010 12:28 PM

I have never tried this, I was told that lemon juice and water in a spray bottle works great for odor removal. Spray on liberally, and let dry. I have a very stinky truck to try this on, so I will.:metal:

MylilBowTie 03-15-2010 08:09 AM

It amazes me how many people think that fabreeze cleans. Its a synthetic fragrance that masks odors. Not saying it doesn't have its place but never as a cleaner. That is like putting deodorant on when you need a bath/shower.

BIG10 03-15-2010 12:31 PM

I believe you guys are thinking of an ozone machine. You would close up the car and let it run for about 24 hrs. Don't try to clean the headliner, just get some quotes on replacement. Clean the windows several times. I've seen cars so caked with nicotine that when I'd spray window cleaner on the windows it would run yellow and puddle on the door panels. There was one in particular that was so bad I spend an entire day cleaning the windows and it never stopped. I think we finally just sent that terd to auction.

5150 03-17-2010 06:21 PM

Chuck, eat a bunch of Chili and then go to work baby!!!!!!

leddzepp 03-17-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

This, or Lysol

thelonerife 03-17-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 3866146)
Chuck, eat a bunch of Chili and then go to work baby!!!!!!

I do that in every vehicle I own. Luckily the sales person was right and the truck hadn't been smoked in. It still smells new. Heres a pic of what I wound up buying. i got the 20'' wheels from Ron586. TY.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...SANY0009-5.jpg

72BlckButy 03-18-2010 08:23 AM

Nice truck Chuck!

thelonerife 03-18-2010 10:09 PM

Thanks.

HOGDADDY 04-01-2010 02:14 AM

After having quitting smoking (both) for several years I could never get the cig smoke outta my 97 Silverado til one day it was gone.........yea some sob stole my truck!
I have not been having great luck with trucks past few years seems.

And now a freaking tree fell on my 86 but before that I rolled and tumbled a 77 lwb chevy and found myself lying in a hospital bed with a broken neck (crushed C5 bone).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...2010_00000.jpg

It has healed really well but to think I have another person's bone in my neck freaks me out somewhat.

Sorry I got off track a little. Just needed to vent some. :smoke: