The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If I didnt love my truck so much..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=376437)

2nd_wnd 12-14-2009 09:59 PM

If I didnt love my truck so much.....

I'd sell it.
had the truck for 3 years with never any real issues.

been in NC 11 months and have had nothing but problems.
always lil stuff, i think thats what frustrates me the most.

2 months ago the outside door button falls in the door. no biggie it still opens.
2 weeks ago the inside handle linkages pops off, now door wont open from inside and cant really reach the outside butten from inside real well.
spent the whole time since then climbing in and out the passenger side.

friday i go to truck at lunch and there is a huge puddle of gas under the truck, leaking fuel line.

take truck home it sits till sunday, not a drop of fuel since. so sunday i decide to fix all the issues.

changed fuel line, changed door handle. the inside door linkage was twist tied together. so i fixed that too.

Today coming home from work as i get on hiway i hear a loud bunch of noises banging around near tha back of the truck, as i reach hiway speed it goes away. im thinking hmm, i will check it out when i get home.

get off hiway and driving and noise comes back, so i pull over to check it out.

the rear u-joint is missing a cap and is about to come loose from the rear end.

babied it home and looked under truck, barely hanging on and the straps holding them in are both broke.

go to parts store and pick up the parts. wouldnt you know it, that none of the parts stores here have the tools to change u-joints.

still trying to figure this one out.

sorry, needed to rant a lil bit

Boog 12-14-2009 10:24 PM

Re: If I didnt love my truck so much.....

Awh this is all a test of your committment to the truck, that's all. It's bout 40 yrs old and things wear out. May have been some questionable repairs in it's past. You just have to take them one at a time and fix em right. Show it some love. Oh yeah, they will test your patience for sure. ;)

gcburdic 12-14-2009 10:35 PM

Sounds like you got it taken care of, but there's a a guy in Winston-Salem that can help with your driveline if you need it?? he balanced my drive shaft and installed all new u-joints, etc for a reasonable price
Good luck and hop all works out okay for ya!!

silverstreak 12-14-2009 10:38 PM

I've gotten in the habit of doing a safety inspection every other time I change my oil. I have a checklist to remind me of stuff to check, hoses, brakes, tie rods, bearing wear, alternator output, etc. I have caught many things that would have left me stranded, but I've still had to call the tow truck a couple of times.

rogergodding 12-15-2009 12:49 AM

Is that all?? Please...... :)

Hart_Rod 12-15-2009 01:01 AM

All you need to change the ujoint out is a big C clamp and socket just a little smaller than the ujoint cup. This will allow you to press the old one out. You may have to use some vice grips to get them completely out. Then you can press the new cups back in. OBTW, you're very lucky the driveshaft didn't let go and really tear somthing up. I think you should be looking at this a situation as a "WOW, I was lucky today!"... :D. Just my $.02, ;). Good luck with the ujoint.

rick0312 12-15-2009 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Go to autozone and take advantage of there tool loan program. I used the ball joint/u joint press to change my u joints...worked great, and tool is free as long as you return it.

ksjh1316 12-15-2009 01:34 AM

You know this is what happens when you take trucks out of Wichita they do not want to leave

Seriously good luck you will get all the gremlins worked out soon

fishingjred73 12-15-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 3675566)
All you need to change the ujoint out is a big C clamp and socket just a little smaller than the ujoint cup. This will allow you to press the old one out. You may have to use some vice grips to get them completely out. Then you can press the new cups back in. OBTW, you're very lucky the driveshaft didn't let go and really tear somthing up. I think you should be looking at this a situation as a "WOW, I was lucky today!"... :D. Just my $.02, ;). Good luck with the ujoint.

I agree with hart rod, consider yourself lucky you didn't end up with a driveshaft torn in half and the yoke on the end on the pinion tore up. :( Ask me how I know.

2nd_wnd 12-15-2009 03:57 PM

simple fix, took the rear half out and cost me 20 bucks to have new one installed parts and labor.

Oliver driveshafts, on n liberty in winston. quick and cheap

gcburdic 12-15-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2nd_wnd (Post 3676294)
simple fix, took the rear half out and cost me 20 bucks to have new one installed parts and labor.

Oliver driveshafts, on n liberty in winston. quick and cheap

That's the guy.....Glad he took care of you!!!