The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Making a open sides hard top two options. Looking for suggestions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=683987)

Yukon Jack 06-08-2016 11:14 AM

Re: Making a open sides hard top two options. Looking for suggestions

Gotta agree, that's pretty cool looking!

Chulisohombre 09-15-2018 07:19 AM

Looks cool. . It would have to be double wall. It has more center support. This would never work with a single wall. You would have to add center support Beams. I’ve seen video of guys on the trail 4 vying that broke the top while twisted up in the rocks. Now that it’s missing the center support I would not take this off-road.

PGG 09-15-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chastain90 (Post 7618012)
Thanks, I like it! Do you have any sag problems in the middle? I am probably going to go this route.

Ok it never sagged in the middle but it did develop some cracks around the mounting holes sadly. PG

K5 MAX 09-18-2018 09:10 AM

Like the look, sorry to hear about the cracks

chevyguy_72 09-18-2018 11:17 AM

the red one in the first post started life as a double wall... I had a conversation with that guy about it... he said it had a ton of fiberglass work in it to make it like that...

Stokester 05-09-2019 07:44 PM

Anybody fab one out of metal? Build a frame out of square tubing. Use a truck roof skin then work your way back? I think I might give it a shot! Any input/ideas would be appreciated!

blazintowers 05-09-2019 09:54 PM

sounds like a plan. maybe start with a donor suburban roof

Stormin08 05-17-2019 01:21 PM

i like the idea, but for me... to be a success, the C pillar needs to be thinned. or removed.

Chulisohombre 07-17-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin08 (Post 8527217)
i like the idea, but for me... to be a success, the C pillar needs to be thinned. or removed.

It’s different but loses a lot of the lateral support already by not having the b pillar and front glass Chanel. There is a metal frame inside the top. But it wasn’t meant to carry the whole weight of the top from the two ends. The top when sitting on the bed sides makes it much more rigid. Might work better if you could bolt in a couple of metal center supports to help support more weight in the center. It’s definitely different and custom. Looks almost like the old open side jeepster cars, I’m not sure the correct term.
Posted via Mobile Device

mister.freeze 07-18-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazintowers (Post 8522883)
sounds like a plan. maybe start with a donor suburban roof

Know where to find one?

amaley83 06-24-2021 12:46 PM

PGG, when you talked to the guy that did the top for the red blazer w/surf board, did he give you any more details and pics of it? I'm hunting for a top now and love the way that one looks and wanting to copy/paste! thanks

PGG 06-24-2021 02:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by amaley83 (Post 8936226)
PGG, when you talked to the guy that did the top for the red blazer w/surf board, did he give you any more details and pics of it? I'm hunting for a top now and love the way that one looks and wanting to copy/paste! thanks

My memory is the guy said he cut it all the way around all the fiberglass off except for the top and bolted it to his roll cage. Here are some images of what I actually did.
Posted via Mobile Device