The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Unable to remove heat stove from ram's horn (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774105)

AlmostClueless 10-28-2018 05:47 PM

Unable to remove heat stove from ram's horn

Hi, everyone,

New to this forum, so hope I'm posting to the right place. My wife and I just purchased a very, very rough 1972 4x4 Suburban w/ the 350. It's been sitting for about 30 years outside and needs a lot of work, but right now just trying to figure why engine is locked. Hoping just relatively minor rust in the bores, but need to pull heads. This is where I need your help. I removed all the screws I could find that hold the heat stove on the driver's side ram's horn, but while it's loose now, it still won't separate completely from the manifold. Obviously, I missed a fastener someplace. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I can't get to the center 2 manifold bolts till I get the heat stove off & so I still can't get the head off. Thanks for any input & take care.

rsavage 10-28-2018 07:10 PM

Re: Unable to remove heat stove from ram's horn

If I remember correctly, there is a sheet metal screw that holds the inner part of the shield to the outside. Did you find that one?

AlmostClueless 10-29-2018 05:54 PM

Thanks, Savage,

I removed two screws from the top of the stove. There was a hole for a third screw that was missing. When I got the two out, the two halves of the stove separated easily, but only to a point and then I couldn't get them apart any further. It's almost like the outer half is pinned to the manifold someplace that I can't see. Getting pictures is tough, too, since the clutch mechanism, steering column, proportioning valve, and brake booster all converge right there together. I'll grab a magnifying glass & try to spot a screw I missed. I surely appreciate the help. It'll be a miracle if I ever get this old girl roadworthy again, but when I saw her, she was just too cool to let her go to scrap, which is where the previous owner was headed with her. A restoration is beyond my means, but if I can get her back decent, I'll be happy. Thanks, again!

Clueless

AlmostClueless 11-10-2018 01:26 PM

Hey, again, Savage,

I finally had time again to fiddle with the thing and I was able to remove it. (YES!) There was one remaining fastener more or less hidden behind the dipstick tube. I couldn't see it, but found it with my fingers. Took quite a bit of wrestling just to get the tube to come out, but once I managed to extract that, I was able to unscrew that last fastener & the stove fell right off. Thanks for your help.

Almost