The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 *Dimmer Switch Options* (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807164)

Zippi 06-01-2020 08:39 AM

*Dimmer Switch Options*

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 84 Chevy column in my 49 and the dimmer switch sticks out like a sore thumb about midway down the column. I'm going to wrap the column with carpet so I have removed the switch. What are my options on where to mount the dimmer switch?

Just realized this probably should have went in the electrical section. If so please move it.

nvrdone 06-01-2020 09:43 AM

Re: *Dimmer Switch Options*

you can all ways go back to the stock floor mounted dimmer switch

mongocanfly 06-01-2020 09:48 AM

That's what I was thinking...floor mount dimmer..like they all used to be..

or are you wanting to keep it on the column?...I dont know if a later model turn signal/dimmer could be used on your column ..but if it could youd have it all in one..

_Ogre 06-01-2020 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i have a similar column in my 58 truk, between the dimmer switch and the nss, it's a mess down there
but i really wanted the column dimmer so i made it work
it would be nice if you could find a low profile plug, as that is the half the problem

mr48chev 06-01-2020 12:39 PM

It's a bit of danged if I do and danged if I don't. Those late columns are just flat too cluttered and bulky looking when they are put in an old truck for my taste. Still it sure is nice to have the dimmer at your finger tips rather than trying to find it with your foot after driving other rigs with the column mounted dimmer most of the time.

Unless it just makes it too bulky you might make a shield to go around the switch (s) to wrap the carpet around and call it good if everything works ok.

Or swap to the floor mounted switch.

Zippi 06-01-2020 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the info and pics guys. I decided to pull the dimmer switch. I modified the plate the switch is mounted to and rehung it under the dash where it is easily excusable by hand. I then wrapped the column with the same carpet I have on the floor. Probably won't use it that much anyway as I don't drive that much at night and I always have my brights on. Never saw any bright lights flashed back at me so they must not be that bright. Came out with a nice cleaner look than before.

nvrdone 06-01-2020 08:21 PM

i'm confused. you say you pulled the dimmer switch. I thought it is part of the turn signals. so now you don't have turn signals????

Zippi 06-01-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8750286)
i'm confused. you say you pulled the dimmer switch. I thought it is part of the turn signals. so now you don't have turn signals????

The dimmer switch is operated via a rod connected to the turn signal lever. Nothing has changed as far as my turn signal.

mr48chev 06-01-2020 09:53 PM

Depending on the year and model of rig the column came off the dimmer switch can be at the top and operated by turn signal lever actuating it or down on the column as his was and actuated by a rod.

I'm thinking that the change happened when they went to that rather spendy multi function turn signal handle. Breaking one of those will take all of your Beer, soda pop and snack pack money for several months.

MiraclePieCo 06-02-2020 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8750006)
Still it sure is nice to have the dimmer at your finger tips rather than trying to find it with your foot after driving other rigs with the column-mounted dimmer most of the time.

A bit of equal time for the venerable floor-mount dimmer switch:

Multi-function "joystick" controls on the column were originally devised to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act to accommodate paraplegics unable to operate foot switches. Nowadays with the predominance of automatic transmissions and column-mounted dimmer switches, a modern motorist's left foot has absolutely nothing to do! With joystick-mounted controls however, it can be hard to find the dimmer switch while simultaneously signaling for a turn - the control moves! Every hot rod I build always has a floor-mount dimmer.

72Mountaineer 06-02-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8750419)
a modern motorist's left foot has absolutely nothing to do!

Are you kidding me? I know a person who gives driver's examinations and he told me it is encouraged to use two feet to drive. They consider it multi-tasking!