The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fixing The Cab Off The Frame (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=103497)

Johnny Outdoors 05-09-2004 09:40 AM

Fixing The Cab Off The Frame

1 Attachment(s)
I Was Told If I Lay The Cab On Its Back So I Can Fix The Bottom Of The Cab
I Should Support The Door Frames So They Dont Change Dimension When I Fix The Floor
I Was Told To Weld A Bar Across The Door Opening To Be Removed Later
Any Ideas?
Thanks

FRENCHBLUE72 05-09-2004 09:45 AM

If your gonna lay the cab on it's back I would get something kinda soft (old tire;s) to cushion the cab .... The bar's across the door jamb is not a bad idea...

smitty62 05-09-2004 11:30 AM

"Any Ideas? " Yeah, I got one...bring that tractor rig down here and lift my cab off! ;)
I really don't want to build a lifting rig just to throw it away after one use! :banghead:

Gee_Emm 05-09-2004 02:01 PM

If you are going to be laying cab over then I would do it on the firewall. Put a piece of heavy rubber or thick carpet down first. When I am doing work on my cabs I always lay them on the firewalls. If your floor and rockers are in good shape I wouldnt worry about bracing. These cabs are pretty rigid.

Jeepster376 05-09-2004 02:17 PM

Ya, I say it depends on the extent of your repairs. If you are just patching, it should be OK. But if you are cutting any structural members I would brace the doors. In fact, I would weld a brace to secure the width of the door opening and also a diagonal brace to prevent the door opening from distorting out of square.

Vince M 05-09-2004 02:42 PM

I'd call it cheap insurance. Yeah you might not need them but it is pretty easy to do so why not be safe.

biggator64 05-09-2004 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty62
"Any Ideas? " Yeah, I got one...bring that tractor rig down here and lift my cab off! ;)
I really don't want to build a lifting rig just to throw it away after one use! :banghead:

i just used my cherry picker to lift mine, i cant afford a tractor set up to do it

mr402 05-09-2004 07:13 PM

When I hoisted my cab off I built a 10' high frame out of 4X4s and a lot of cross bracing on all corners. A couple of 4X4s going through the door openings and chains on each ends. Sorry no pics. I raised the whole thing so I could stand underneath. Sand blasted and painted it that way. Now having said that you need to make certain that the frame is VERY well braced and the bottoms of the 4X4s well anchored. Build it as if your life depended on it, because it does.

smitty62 05-09-2004 08:11 PM

My cherry picker (engine hoist?) won't go that high. Suspect I'll have to go the way Mr402 did. Been looking for an alternative for about a month, but so far zilch. :(

Jeepster376 05-09-2004 08:33 PM

You made me think of a good idea, if I ever need to lift my cab. A buddy of mine bought a big heavy duty chery picker truck like the kind the electric company would have. He uses it for general purpose jobs to make spare money with, like putting up large flag poles for instance. I bet it would easily lift the cab. Maybe there is someone in your area with a peice of equipment like that, that could swing by and lift your cab for you.

Gee_Emm 05-09-2004 08:36 PM

A case of beer would do the same job as a forklift or a cherry picker and its alot cheaper :p

greasemonkey 05-09-2004 09:48 PM

How do you guys lift off the cabs using an engine hoist? I have heard of it being done, but needed to know exactly how.

Russell 05-09-2004 10:14 PM

I'll just use my skidsteer like I did with my bed :)

Johnny Outdoors 05-09-2004 11:25 PM

thanks for all the info
SMITTY62 unfortunately if i bring it down to ya id have to leave the tractor
cause i know the trailer would have another truck on it for the way back
i dont think honey would be very happy LOL

OhioDan 05-10-2004 09:21 AM

I used the rafters in the garage and a motorcycle tie-down on each corner. Lift a little one each one until you get it where ya want it. If ya want to lay it over, just loosen two up and tighten the other two. Had it hangin for about three years that way. Nice and handy when ya wanna flip it around to work on it. When ya weld in the braces in the door openings, it keeps everything it shape. Just my $ .02 .

:flag: :gmc: :burnout:

JimKshortstep4x4 05-10-2004 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like working on the cabs on their back. Depending on the integrity of the cab, bracing of the door openings may necessary. They are pretty stable and you can get to the floor and other parts easily.

Jim