The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anybody Running An Edelbrock Carb? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=108171)

69sixpackbee 06-15-2004 11:29 AM

Anybody Running An Edelbrock Carb?

Are these AFB Edelbrocks any good? I remember running one I got used from a buddy and it did'nt run worth a crap. Maybe it was just that carb. I will put it on a stock 402 with a Performer intake?
Pros? Cons?
Thanx!

busterwivell 06-15-2004 12:18 PM

I run them on everything I've got. I first got one to replace a Holley that was giving me fits. I've never had a problem with any of the five I've had. A friend just bought one at a swap meet used for 75.00, replaced the Q-junk on his Suburban with it, and it smoothed out the idle issue and runs fine again.

69sixpackbee 06-15-2004 12:19 PM

How are they on gas? I am going to use this on my camper truck and I get around 9MPG now with the Q'jet.
Thanx!

busterwivell 06-15-2004 12:25 PM

Don't know compared to a Q, but it was better than the Holley.

68 Suburban 06-15-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
How are they on gas? I am going to use this on my camper truck and I get around 9MPG now with the Q'jet.
Thanx!

I am getting 19 mpg on my burb with a 350. You have to tune them correctly, but that is easy. I have never had a problem with my edelbrock. I have been very happy with it.

DeepPurple 06-15-2004 01:03 PM

Carter AFB's are good carbs, don't need much maintenance, and are easy to tune.
Edelbrock even makes a little kit to tune the carb (different needles and such) to your liking.

As far as fuel mileage...
It can be tuned to be aobut the same or a little better on the fumes than a Quadrajet, but more than likely it will be a little worse due to the larger primaries. Additionally if you buy the 750 cfm version I think it's tuned more for performance anyway. (Key note there, I dunno for sure, and once again it can be tuned)

Of course the advantage is that the initial acceleration is so much better than a quadrajet (tuned or not) it's silly. And you don't have any more leaking plugs/float bowls.

$.02

COBALT 06-15-2004 01:13 PM

I'm pretty happy with mine too. The only thing I would warn you about is getting the right idle mixture, the right needle and seat diameters, and the right fuel pressure from the fuel pump. All of these factors can either leave your engine running rough at idle, and off-idle, or it can run like a top. It's also a good learning experience to buy a "bolt-on" carb like that and then tune it exactly the way you want it.

69sixpackbee 06-15-2004 01:29 PM

The 1411 is the one I was thinking about getting. I will probably invest in the tune kit as well if I decide to go that route. I have the Performer intake in it right now and I made an adapter plate out of ground aluminum plate (K100) so I could put the square bore on the spread bore intake without the vacuum loss issues. When I tried the one I borrowed from my buddy I did remember that the part-throttle was more responsive but it had a cough and stumble that I did'nt like. I did'nt tune it out because the carb was on borrow so I pretty well convinced myself that they suck at that point. I guess I am starting to revisit my previous opinions and try it again. All I know is when I go on vacation back out to Texas in August the last thing I want to have to do is put more gas in it then I want to. At least when I get past Arizona the price of petrol will be considerably less than it is here so that is a big +!

Hotrod70C10 06-15-2004 01:54 PM

I have a 1406 and a performer intake on my 350. I can say that it runs great, I have no problems with it compared to my old leaky Q-jet. I really can't compare it to a carb that was in need of a rebuild though. All I can say is that when I need a carb for another car/truck I will be picking up another edelbrock.

CHEVYE 06-15-2004 02:19 PM

edelbrock makes an awesome carb for reliability and gas mileage. i`ve noticed the holley has a little more response to them. i don`t know if this is characteristic of all carbs but i got on a steep incline onE time towing a buddy out and my carb loaded up badly. it was so rich it wouldn`t run unless it was floored. i thought gas was going to drip out of my tailpipe.

MandarinSixSeven 06-15-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Suburban
I am getting 19 mpg on my burb with a 350. You have to tune them correctly, but that is easy. I have never had a problem with my edelbrock. I have been very happy with it.

What's an easy way to tune it? Mine isn't bad, but its a little rich (you can really smell it sometimes) but when I lean it out, it gets way too lean and the idle is all rough. Any suggestions?

68 Suburban 06-15-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandarinSixSeven
What's an easy way to tune it? Mine isn't bad, but its a little rich (you can really smell it sometimes) but when I lean it out, it gets way too lean and the idle is all rough. Any suggestions?

I would e mail edelbrock tech and let them know your set up. They will let you know what to use. They even sent me the needles and jets that I needed for free!!

ko72 06-16-2004 01:27 PM

I am running a edelbrock performer 750 on my bbc and get about 6-8 mpg and cant tune the thing. I would not suggest the 750 for anything.

SweetandLong68 06-16-2004 10:12 PM

One things you guys need to check out before you do any drastic tuning is that these Eldelbrock carbs dont need 7-9psi fuel pressure like Holleys...They only need 4-5psi at the most. Just call and ask the tech support when you call about the tuning. It will make a total difference in these carbs. They are great out of the box but better with a fuel pressure regulator.

thanks
CHRIS

jlmtrout 06-18-2004 04:41 AM

I bought mine rebuilt from Summit, and all I did was take it out of the box, bolt it on, hook it up and go. Never had a moments trouble out of it and haven't touched it to tune it. I'm running a 1406-600 cfm. Good luck and keep on truckin'...........Jerry

Jeepster376 06-18-2004 01:08 PM

68 Suburban, do you remember what jets you ended up running?

BTW, I have a Carter AFB (not Edelbrock but same as 1406) and it runs mint now after I spent a little time getting it all dialed in.

Beefcake 06-18-2004 01:48 PM

Never rebuilt a carb, edelbrock 1406 was my first. Piece of cake. Love the performance and mpg. I have no complaints.

piecesparts 06-18-2004 02:01 PM

I would consider the NEW Edelbrock Performer carb (With the adjustable secondaries). That would allow for more fine tuning of the transition into the WOT condition than the original line. I am running a Carter AFB and an Edelbrock AFB (Same body design and parts in both of them) and I like them for performance and LACK of trouble. The Holley and Demon have a vacuum secondary and that creates a smoother transition, but can be painful if it is out of adjustment. The 750 carb is great for an all out top end, you can even buy an 800 cfm. For general everyday street driving the 625 cfm carbs is the choice. The 750 and larger creates a bog in a heavy vehicle and then tends to waste gas. The principal is to keep the air flow (velocity) up so that the engine is responsive. You will give some top end performance away, but keep driveability and gas mileage.

kickinasphalt 06-18-2004 03:07 PM

Just installed an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm,electric choke) on my 72 4x4 along with there new EPS intake. Once I got the motor timed it seems to run great. BTW, there is a rebate going on right now if you buy a new carb and intake.