The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear slip yoke (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=122)

Jesse 67 c-10 03-20-2002 12:05 PM

Rear slip yoke

Well I have my 327 and 5 speed in and running but I'm working on the driveshaft right now. I didn't want to pay $120 for a new slip yoke and there are no 5 speeds in Saskatchewan to rob a yoke from. My tranny has a 32 spline output shaft. I managed to find a 32 spline yoke off something in a yard that fits the splines but the outside diameter is too big to fit in the tranny. I know some one with a lathe and I'm going to get it turned down to fit, what I'm wondering about is if the yoke has to be a certain size, I know on a th350 the yoke slides over the splines and into a bushing to support the output shaft, if the yoke is to small it won't ride on the bushing and I'm sure that would toast the tranny. Does anyone know if a 5 speed would also have this bushing, or is the shaft supported by some other means? I don't want to turn down my yoke too small. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about!
Thanks
Jesse

------------------
Near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. 67 c-10, Long fleet, Newly swapped front disks, 5 lug rear end, 327 v-8 with Vortech heads, edlbrock performer rpm air gap manifold, 1406 carb and comp XE 256 cam. Backed by a getrag 5 speed and 1 piece driveshaft. Finnally running, almost driving! www.geocities.com/chevy67jesse

Woody 03-20-2002 12:58 PM

Is there a chance that you can get the tail housing from the tranny that you got the yoke out of to put on your 5 speed?

------------------
Woody
'69 Custom-10 Deluxe
Short Fleetside,Factory 350cid/TH400,A/C,PS,PB,Carpet
Coming soon 700R4, 350 Crate Engine, Pwr Disks...

Jesse 67 c-10 03-21-2002 11:27 AM

never thought of that, but I just found the yoke laying under some van, it wasn't from that van though. It was just rough cast on the outside, not smooth machined like a regualr slip yoke, so I imagine it was from a front driveshaft off a 4x4 or something. I can make it work though if I can find the size I need to turn it down to. Any one know if the tailshaft of a tranny needs that bushing for support? I have no ideas. Help!
Jesse

------------------
Near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. 67 c-10, Long fleet, Newly swapped front disks, 5 lug rear end, 327 v-8 with Vortech heads, edlbrock performer rpm air gap manifold, 1406 carb and comp XE 256 cam. Backed by a getrag 5 speed and 1 piece driveshaft. Finnally running, almost driving! www.geocities.com/chevy67jesse

69 longhorn 03-21-2002 12:11 PM

I think you can use a slip yolk from a 400 turbo for that app. a couple yrs ago,I got a drive shaft from a 90s GMC that was marked as from a 5 spd truck. I used the shaft in my V8 chev powered ranger(had to use conversion joints,& change slip yolk)......but the 5 spd yolk was slipped into a 400T to keep from spilling the fluid. i never did "mike up" the 2 different yolks,but the fit felt ok in the trans. Un fortunatly,i dont have the slip yolk anymore to get dimentions from ......69 longhorn.