The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Wire Harness question? Upgrade? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=134351)

East End K5 01-04-2005 08:30 PM

Wire Harness question? Upgrade?

OK, I've had one good day so far to play with the rig. I did an inspection of behind and under my dash. I found the fuse bank all corroded and wiring harness in such a dissaray that I want to change the whole thing out. Any good suggestions for an upgrade?

LUV2XCLR8 01-04-2005 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East End K5
OK, I've had one good day so far to play with the rig. I did an inspection of behind and under my dash. I found the fuse bank all corroded and wiring harness in such a dissaray that I want to change the whole thing out. Any good suggestions for an upgrade?

THE PO DID MINE, NOT SURE WHAT BRAND HE USED, BUT I CAN'T TELL
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IT AND THE OE EXCEPT IT LOOKS NEWER. ;)

YOU CAN TRY PM'N HIM - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php3?u=8317

HERE IS A COUPLE OF PIC'S OF THE UPGRADE / NEW WIRING ;)

East End K5 01-04-2005 08:52 PM

That looks awsome! Mine will look better though....LOL, NOT!

JayDubBlazer 01-04-2005 08:52 PM

Wow that is a clean looking wiring job

Madbomber88 01-04-2005 11:09 PM

Buy the Painless wiring harness custom made for these trucks. It isn't cheap, but it is well worth the money and it is straight forward to install.

bouncytruck 01-04-2005 11:23 PM

LUV - yours looks like the stock replacement. Most of the new one's have the blade style fuses. You can get them with additional circuits incase you want to add things like power windows, etc.

BobbyK 01-05-2005 12:34 AM

I got mine from M+H Electric Fabricators.
Quality stuff.
http://www.wiringharness.com/

East End K5 01-05-2005 11:36 AM

Thanks guys, gonna go ahead and order me a new Harness. Those Painless bundles look real nice. I like how they put terminals down the sids of the fuse block.

bouncytruck 01-05-2005 12:30 PM

I've seen and advertisement for a wire harness that has what each wire is for printed the entire length of the wire. They were cheap too. Anyone know what brand that was?

East End K5 01-05-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck
I've seen and advertisement for a wire harness that has what each wire is for printed the entire length of the wire. They were cheap too. Anyone know what brand that was?

Well then I HAVE to find out which company is doing that. I'm an aircraft electrician and 99% of the wiring has wire numbers with a reference designator. SO you don't have to trace the wire all the way back from it's origin. Makes too much sense. Makes life a little easier when playing under the dash too.

bouncytruck 01-05-2005 02:38 PM

I think the ad was in one of the classic truck magazines - the small ads in the back... It looked like a great idea and I think the price was considerably less than the painless kits.

BobbyK 01-05-2005 02:38 PM

Bouncy,Painless has that feature on their wires.

LUV2XCLR8 01-05-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncytruck
LUV - yours looks like the stock replacement. Most of the new one's have the blade style fuses. You can get them with additional circuits incase you want to add things like power windows, etc.

CORRECT, THE PO WANTED IT TO LOOK LIKE A ALL ORIGINAL RESTORATION ;)

redz 1970 K5 01-05-2005 05:43 PM

Make sure when you rewire that you leave some surprises and halfass some things...

Otherwise in a few years time, the new owner won't be able to ***** about the PO's wiring.

BEGIN RANT

What in the G*$ DA(# world was the PO of my truck thinking? Splices of splices? Pulling a 12V source from the external voltage regulator? Splicing fusable links? C'mon cloth tape? Duct tape? Jeesus...

END RANT

I just remembered I need to rewire soon. Thanks for bringing the sensitive subject up. Now I will cry silently to myself in my cube.

:D

East End K5 01-05-2005 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz 1970 K5
Make sure when you rewire that you leave some surprises and halfass some things...

Otherwise in a few years time, the new owner won't be able to ***** about the PO's wiring.

BEGIN RANT

What in the G*$ DA(# world was the PO of my truck thinking? Splices of splices? Pulling a 12V source from the external voltage regulator? Splicing fusable links? C'mon cloth tape? <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=duct%20tape" onmouseover="window.status='Duct tape'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Duct tape</a>? Jeesus...

END RANT

I just remembered I need to rewire soon. Thanks for bringing the sensitive subject up. Now I will cry silently to myself in my cube.

:D

Totally true. Some Deushy owner REALLY screwed this up. You wouldn't Believe the surprises I'm getting....

Blake_72_Blazer 01-05-2005 08:50 PM

You may want to check out this company.

http://www.hotrodwires.com/contact.html

They print all the way down the wire and are a lot cheaper than painless.

Good customer support on off hours.

bouncytruck 01-05-2005 11:04 PM

I think that's the company I was talking about.

ed455 01-06-2005 09:52 AM

EZ Wiring is in all the mags. I just installed one of their systems and it has every circuit I could ever want and was half the price of Painless. Also the wires are printed as well. However those plug-ins at the firewall are not available from them. It would definitely be a nice addition.

Bluegoose972 01-06-2005 12:25 PM

I'm just in the process of installing the Painless System in my blazer. Since I tore the truck apart after getting it and don't have any reference, the rewiring has been difficult. But if you take your time, and only remove the old wiring as you replace the new wiring, the it shouldn't be a bad swap. All the wires have descriptions, but there are alot of extra wires that you need to decide if you want (ie electric fuel pump, third brake light, cruise control, idiot lights, etc.).

My biggest complaint was that I expected the system to be turnkey, with everything I needed to get it up and running. None of the connectors for the lighting were included. The front lights weren't a big deal, but it was difficult to find the correct adapters for the rear since they need replacement.

East End K5 01-06-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluegoose972
I'm just in the process of installing the Painless System in my blazer. Since I tore the truck apart after getting it and don't have any reference, the rewiring has been difficult. But if you take your time, and only remove the old wiring as you replace the new wiring, the it shouldn't be a bad swap. All the wires have descriptions, but there are alot of extra wires that you need to decide if you want (ie electric fuel pump, third brake light, cruise control, idiot lights, etc.).

My biggest complaint was that I expected the system to be turnkey, with everything I needed to get it up and running. None of the connectors for the lighting were included. The front lights weren't a big deal, but it was difficult to find the correct adapters for the rear since they need replacement.

Wow, really? Even with the painless? I went to their site and they said it's real easy to install. Well, that's one strike against them! :banghead:

I'm not too worried though. I do this stuff for a living and I have plenty o' time!