The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stockmen? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=14237)

johnnyp 05-31-2002 10:15 AM

Stockmen?

Looks like us "stockmen" in the "Do You Pefer Stock or Custom" poll are definitely in the minority - only 9 of us so far prefer bone stock.

I just got to wondering how much the preference for stock is related to age. I know it is in my case. 30 years ago I probably would have voted for "Slam me Chop me paint me wild".

Funny how things change. Once upon a time I loved horsepower, load pipes, and load music. Now I'm content with a reliable engine, quite exhaust, and I don't even turn the damn radio on.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy seeing those wild rides and if that's what floats your boat, I'm all for it. I'm just at that point in my life where I'm more into nostalgia than exitement. I ain't dead, but I've definitely mellowed.

ebfabman 05-31-2002 10:43 AM

Johnnyp, it must come with age because I feel the exact same way. I really like bone stock also, but a mild tasteful custom is pretty cool too.
As far as loud pipes and loud music, call me strange, but I'd rather hear the wind and the birds......

Man I can't believe I just said that , oh well just remember wisdom comes with age....

Can't believe I said that either.....

Better get off this dang computer and get to work!

Fast68Chevy 05-31-2002 10:59 AM

no, not age, im 23 and i hate wild rides totally, i hate even rubberband tires and more than slight shaving, if its missing door handles and stake pockets and every bit of chrome, then its gone too far in my book, 67 68 trucks in stock original form are the most beautiful ever created i think, the way they rolled off the line !

wild rides are ruined classics that could have been and were once beautiful, i think,.

HuggerCST 05-31-2002 11:11 AM

I'm 33, and like em stock, but not showroom stock. Personally, I couldn't go with stock hubcaps, points dist., whitewall tires, or single exhaust. I still like em with custom wheels and a lower stance, too, but don't get into loud music, or loud pipes anymore.

barn9 05-31-2002 11:22 AM

Stock IS cool, JP. Mine's not bone stock, but close. Used to look very similar to your avatar, but I went to the red top because I have cab lights, and they don't stick out so bad against the red. But I like 'em all as long as the owner takes care of them, whether they're stock, custom, or in between. :bowtie:

greasemonkey 05-31-2002 11:29 AM

I think the body looks better stock, except for rims, but I like radical engines.

Randy70C-10 05-31-2002 12:48 PM

I'm 38 and like customs, but you can go "too far" with the customizing. I like the original door handles and original grill. Chopped tops are cool as long as they are in proportion to the truck. A windshield that's 3 inches tall looks stupid. Shaved drip rails and tilt front ends are cool too. :cool: Most of all, I admire the effort put into the construction of ANY vehicle, stock or hotrod!!!

Randy70C-10 05-31-2002 12:49 PM

AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK! :D hehe

70 Jimmy 05-31-2002 01:04 PM

The older I get the wiser I get and the more I appreciate all of them! That's the advantage of not narrowing the search for a cool ride. There's a bone stock Custom Camper down the road and I stare at it every time I drive buy (3-7 times a day!). I'm hopin' for the "for sale" sign to show up one day. Meanwhile I'm droppin' and someday choppin' the Jimmy and sectioning the '56. By the way, I just turned 39 yesterday :D

Randy70C-10 05-31-2002 01:07 PM

:cool: Happy Birthday!

GREEN70-72 05-31-2002 01:16 PM

IM A YONGER GUY AND I PREFER CUT THEM UP. TO CREATE FOR MY IMAGE. NOT THAT I DONT LIKE STOCK, IF ITS A RARE BEAST. FOR ME IM NEVER GONNA FIND ANYHTING LIKE THAT LET ALONE PAY FOR SOMETHING OF THAT CALIBER. THE WAY I LOOK AT THERE IS SOME ONE OUT THERE WITH THAT PERFECT 100 POINT, FOUND IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED, OLD LADIES GARAGE WITH ONLY 45 MILES ON IT AND STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL OIL IN IT ,TRUCK OR CAR. I,LL NEVER BE ABLE TO BUILD SOMETHING TO THAT NATURE SO, ILL MAKE THEM TO MY LIKING. PLUS IF THEY ALL LOOKED LIKE THEY DID WHEN THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY... WHAT FUN WOULD THAT BE TO LOOK AT THAT AT A CAR SHOW....................I COULD SEE IT NOW. CAR SHOWS WOULD LOOK LIKE 67-72 CHEVY DEALERSHIP LOTS. IT WOULD BE COOL, BUT TO ME GET OLD.

Shane 05-31-2002 01:55 PM

I have to agree with GREEN70-72. Don't get me wrong, I can definately appreciate the work, time and money that goes into an all stock, all original vehicle. Heck, i can also appreciate the fact that a car/truck is much harder to put back all original because of the fact that there are fewer and fewer NOS parts out there. I am 35, but still like 'em chopped, dropped, and driven.

I don't think these trucks will never attain the price status of '55-'57 Belairs, much to the disagreement of the magazine article that was posted here....but thats just my opinion. There were far more of these trucks made than there ever were the Tri-Five's, and besides....you still see more hot rodded/customized '55-'57's at the local car shows and look what kind of money those cars bring in all original shape. I do agree that someone shouldn't take a high-optioned, all original truck and go to cutting, welding and smoothing on it....there are far too many low optioned, run-of-the-mill trucks still out there for that type of thing. But if someone, like myself, has a truck that was just a 'regular ol' truck"...why not change it up a little.

Just my .02 cents worth......for whatever its worth. :D

Mixup 05-31-2002 01:57 PM

I'm 54 and don't want them stock. Slammed and fast thats fine with me.

jhwkns 06-01-2002 10:22 AM

I prefer mild customization. The trucks look the best to me with wheels and tire profiles from the period they were produced. The large diameter wheels with the super low profile tires look great on the newer trucks, but I like the old school stuff on mine.

JJ 06-01-2002 12:37 PM

I happen to have one modified, a 4X4. And one that is stone stock except for the radio, which is still in the stock location and no cutting on the dash. I'm 45 and I still remember how people fixed these trucks up when they were new, custom wheels, lights, visors. Granted I worked around loggers and truck drivers, and those guys loved their trucks, but they still individualized them.
I like the way the bodies look stock because I like the lines and the proportions. I don't like the new bodies, (the guy who designed that Avalanche should be beat with a piece of custom molded plastic injection). That's just 1 and 3/4 cents worth:flag:

toms68cst 06-01-2002 10:42 PM

Well I'm 42 and I love em stock too. I guess I like em stock because my truck is untouched. If my truck wern't so original I might consider something mildly custom.

It's funny you mentioned this age topic. I check out the stovebolt page quite a bit and there seems to be quite a few more purists on that page and I suspect the average age is higher. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing tastfully done custom trucks too.

racedvl 06-01-2002 10:59 PM

If a truck is still all stock, and in "good" shape. I would go stock definality! Like my truck was messed with before I got it, so...dropping a V8 with a M20 out of a car was really no big deal. But for me, bodys need a stock look to them. But have a blast with the chassis!!! :bowtie:

Blue_71 06-01-2002 11:01 PM

i like stock, mild, and custom 4x4s.... personally i wouldnt lower anything, or shave anything, on anythign except a racing truck. but like the 72, im fixing it like it rolled off the line with the exception of wheels, but for shows im going to put the originals back on it, tthe 71 will be slightly custom, chrome wheels, mild motor, few things for towing, the 4x4 will be lifted with 44s and a wild motor, so i like anything pretty much

forgot to put age, im 14

XXL 06-01-2002 11:11 PM

Re: Stockmen?

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyp
Funny how things change. Once upon a time I loved horsepower, load pipes, and load music. Now I'm content with a reliable engine, quite exhaust, and I don't even turn the damn radio on.
My '69 stepside is 155 horsepower inline 6 (1 bbl carb!), quiet as when it was new, and a hole where the radio should be. But I still likes 'em slammed and smoothed.

http://www.houseofalpha.com/khass/truck/images/i-2b.jpg

http://www.houseofalpha.com/khass/tr...es/i-2fade.jpg

(These are just Photoshopped fantasies of a plain old bone stock Sub.)

Kenneth

bobs409 06-02-2002 08:23 AM

35 here. I like semi-customs myself. Mags, headers, small mods. I am against any type of mods that can't be easily "undone" or alters the vehicle in a major way. (ex. a chopped top)

Bone stock is nice to look at at shows but I couldn't deal with it myself. (unless we're talking ultra low mile creampuff-then I can handle it! LOL)

Who ever is paying the bills gets to decide though. No matter how you do it, anyone that loves his old truck (or car) is doing good by keeping it alive and well. And that's the most important thing.

Have fun with 'em and hang onto them. They are getting rarer and more valuable by the minute.

XXL 06-02-2002 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bobs409
Have fun with 'em and hang onto them. They are getting rarer and more valuable by the minute.
And remember, 'stockmen'... every time I hack a piece off of one, yours gets more valuable :)

Kenneth

Gee_Emm 06-02-2002 11:12 AM

Before I got my truck I wasn't really that into the stockness of these trucks. I think it all depends on the truck and what condition it is in. When I bought my truck it was very original no one had hacked it up(besides having some old Mopar stereo in it, didnt cut the dash though wheew) I didnt really have any other choice but to maintain its originality. It would have been a crime to the truck world if I decided to customize it. Like I said, it ALL depends on the truck.

68SWB4x4 06-02-2002 03:11 PM

my friend is 18 and it took me a week of convincing for him to swap out the points........ so it isnt age i dont think

dion 06-02-2002 05:18 PM

I'm 34, stock! With a few little things like chrome wheels and steering wheel. It's the vintage look that makes these trucks attractive in my opinion.

Wasted Income 06-02-2002 06:49 PM

Not to offend anybody, but......

In my opinion, I think that these trucks were ugly when they were new/stock. I know alot of people search for totally loaded Cheyenne's and CSTs. I am not all about these trucks. I prefer a strippo with no factory side mouldings, no chrome around the windows or tailgate, etc. That gives a good starting point for a clean custom. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about shaving all emblems completely, but I like my relocated fuel tank with the shaved filler, and my shaved stake pockets.

Bottom line...do what you like. If you like a stocker, great!! I can respect that, but it's just not to my taste. I think of my vehicles as an extension of myself and therefore customize them accordingly.

Happy truckin'! (be it stock, mild, or wild)!