The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   ClassicalGasStation.com/BadRap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=148871)

special-K 03-31-2005 08:34 AM

ClassicalGasStation.com/BadRap

Checking out John Fabris`442 brought to mind my dealings with ClassicalGasStation,though I`d share my experience.I check the site out routinely.One day,new listing,a`72 K/20.Just listed and looked good,decent price,$5995.The description said:original paint in decent shape(true),4 new matching radials,CustomCamper,am/fm,tach,cold a/c,tool & storage comp.,aux tank,bumper guards...drive anywhere.I call and ask all my questions(been buying these trucks for years).I see the dings(a few),she comfirms.It`s a CustomDeluxe,missing lower tailgate moulding,mirrors are crappy replacements(don`t match),and I can see the holes for the camper mirrors.None of this bothered me as I planned to restore it.A nice foundation.It`s two-tone med.blue/white.I offer $5500 and they take it.I`m talking about flying out & driving back to Maryland(drive anywhere).I was up for an adventure,but decided to ship.As I was looking at the pictures,I realized the w/s had a crack,oh well.I get my paperwork.It says w/s cracked,buyer aware(how`d they know?).The truck driver shows up,first thing he tells me is how hard it was loading/unloading with the clutch gone.Checking it out I see the am/fm(s`posed to be factory)is a am/fm/cd...cut dash.How can a/c be"cold"unless it works(it was May).The second time I drove it the front end started hopping around less than a mile from my house.Got it back/checked it out/ball joints about to fall out(axle Us flopping,too.Driving it over to my shop,I thought I could find a sweet-spot,about a mile away,it was lugging up the hill so I downshifted and it practically stopped.I checked the front rotors and they were hot...frozen.Probably because there were no linings on the rear shoes which would explain why the e-brake didn`t hold.Now I was dealing with them over 3-4weeks before shipping.Plenty of time to check it out(if they really didn`t know you couldn`t drive it across town)and to let me know.And,God knows I asked a boatload of questions about mechanical condition.Meanwhile,the price changed on their site to $6995.In case I fell through or to make me feel I got it for some special introductory price.They didn`t have any problem with sending me across country in that thing.It would have taken a month and $2000 to make it to Denver.I know it`s risky buying from across the country.But,not really,if you know what you`re doing and it`s honest.I`ve been doing it for 20 years.This is my only bum deal.

cdowns 03-31-2005 12:21 PM

a few years ago i was thinking of buying from them ,and after emails and talking to them and getting pictures , i just got a gut feeling that i didn't want to deal with them sorry to hear you got burned

vtblazer 04-02-2005 10:40 AM

Wow, that really bites.
Been there done that though... :rolleyes:

Why can't folks just be straight about their stuff?

Maybe their just :dum:

Sorry to hear about the untruthful deal.

special-K 04-02-2005 09:38 PM

Yeah well,I guess it could have been worse.Mostly,I`m just glad I decided to ship it.The $900 cost was a bargain now that I know what the trip home would have turned into.I`m glad to own the truck,too.Coulda been better.I`m not whining here as much as feeling obligated to inform my fellows and do Classical Gas a little diservice they deserve.Buying these old machines has it`s risks and I accept that.But,when I ask a direct question and it`s answered untruthfully or I become interested by what is listed in the description and it isn`t so,that`s bad business and deserves a "bad rap".