The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Safe tow rope options? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=166876)

Steven Sellers 12-26-2004 10:12 PM

Safe tow rope options?

Hi guys, I know yall have used tow ropes so which ones are good and SAFE!!
We used log chains when I was on the farm and never had a problem so I am dumb when it comes to the rope thing.
Ive seen pics and heard horror stories on what happens when a tow rope goes bad, even saw a pic that showed one with a hook on the end going through a Jeep windshield and the headrest.

So cmon I know you guys have the info and safety concerns saved up......let me hereem. :D

Thx
Steve

71swb4x4 12-26-2004 10:18 PM

I use a tow strap. I have had it for years and it has never failed me. I love it!!

71swb4x4 12-26-2004 10:21 PM

Forgot to mention, I don't use hooks. I hook one end to the other vehicle's tow hook, or wrap it around the frame if it's ever possible. I slide the other end in my receiver hitch and slide the pin through. Tow hooks on the front in case I ever have to be pulled out, but hasn't been a problem yet :D

Steven Sellers 12-26-2004 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where did you buy it and what brand? Thats actually what I was thinking about was a strap. Also I probally should mention if someone has to pull me out I have a 2500HD 4x4 with a dry weight of 5600lbs

71swb4x4 12-26-2004 10:26 PM

I bought mine from Summit Racing. I think it was $50. They have them rated for 10,000 to 40,000 pounds. The ones with the hooks have a much lower rating. Check out www.summitracing.com They range from $16 to $86. Drop the dough for a nice one, you never know how much it may mean to you some day.

4x4Poet 12-27-2004 05:58 AM

Simple. Use a quality brand 3-inch tug 'em strap rated for over 30,000 lbs. Never a 2-inch with any rating. I think ARB makes some good ones, but, to my knowledge, most brands are comparable within the same strap width and rating.

Look for a 3-inch strap with lined loop-ends. The loop-end lining should be tough to protect the loop-end material from abrasion. You don't want hooks or clevises coming in direct friction contact with the nylon fiber.

For any connection not made to factory tow hooks, use very strong clevises. US made. Or Japanese, if they exist. And never connect two 30-foot straps together. That's a major rubber band effect accident waiting to happen. :eek:

Mudder 12-27-2004 09:28 AM

Never hook a strap to a trailer ball. Use straps with loops on the ends like Poet says and use good clevis'. For just pulling something around on the street a 2 inch will be fine but never for retrieving stuck vehicles. Wrapping a strap arround a sharp edge will cut it.

JIMs70GMC 12-27-2004 12:24 PM

I'd say have a couple different ones. I have a 30' 4" wide strap, that is not always convenient to use. Depending on the situation a short 8' is great to have. Also look into lifting slings, they dont stretch and are made to higher standard(lifting). The one's I've seen are about 6' long and 3" across w/ abrasion protection in the loop ends. I plan on purchasing a 20' 3" wide snatch strap to complement what I already have.

4x4Poet 12-27-2004 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Sellers
...Thats actually what I was thinking about was a strap. Also I probally should mention if someone has to pull me out I have a 2500HD 4x4 with a dry weight of 5600lbs

I probably should mention that my first post only addressed tug 'em straps used by one vehicle to jerk another out of a stuck situation. I did so based on the above statement quoted. I'll leave tow straps, chains, etc. to others with more such expertise than I. :)

784X4GUY 12-28-2004 01:12 PM

Speaking of tow straps I need to get me one, right now I still use a 35' log chain. Never broke on me yet, but I just don't want that day to come. Yall know what I mean...Later Mike

Prerunner1982 12-28-2004 01:23 PM

I have spent enough time using chains that thats what i use.. safest? probably not.. but thats all that he military uses, have i seen them break? yes.. but i have also seen a 34,000lbs truck (my wrecker) use chains to pull out stuck hmmwvs... seen 2 hmmvws use chains to pull our stuck dueces too...

784X4GUY 12-28-2004 01:41 PM

yeap...I hear ya prerunner well maybe Ill just stick with my chain. Its just that a rope is lighter so I wouldn't have to lug around that big a#$ chain I've got...Later Mike

Destructo 12-28-2004 10:59 PM

I only use straps with NO hooks on the ends and good strong clevices or make sure there is a nice strong tow hook to attached it too.

Or I just use the 150Ft of 8mm wire rope on the front of my truck known as a winch :p

784X4GUY 12-28-2004 11:22 PM

I see what your saying Destructo I can't wait to get me a Warn Winch and Bumper. Or actually Id like to mount it under the stock bumper like they did in the peterson's four wheel drive mag...Later Mike

Destructo 12-28-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784X4GUY
I see what your saying Destructo I can't wait to get me a Warn Winch and Bumper. Or actually Id like to mount it under the stock bumper like they did in the peterson's four wheel drive mag...Later Mike

Hmm, I didn't see that, i'll have to check that out.

I bought a Warn Classic bumper for my winch, looks pretty good and now I have to decent seats on the front of my truck lol.

Mudder 12-28-2004 11:37 PM

Just one thing for everyone to remember. There's a lot of force on a chain or strap and if broken they can kill you or anyone else standing close.

784X4GUY 12-29-2004 12:19 AM

I hear ya there mudder we once had a little hand come along break on us. When we were trying to winch out a mustang out of a mudhole. (Don't ask lol). And that sucker went flying through the air scared the crap outta all of us...Later Mike

784X4GUY 12-29-2004 12:20 AM

Destucto...Yeah it was at the begining of this year I do believe it was on that military K30 they bought. The one that was camo remember?...Later Mike

ChebyCheyenne 12-29-2004 07:57 PM

i bought a tow strap at a garage sale where this guy was selling off a bunch of army surplus stuff. Its 60' long and holds 40,000lbs. Good deal for $10 :D

matt

Steven Sellers 12-29-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
I probably should mention that my first post only addressed tug 'em straps used by one vehicle to jerk another out of a stuck situation. I did so based on the above statement quoted. I'll leave tow straps, chains, etc. to others with more such expertise than I. :)

Well thats actually what I was looking for I misworded it I guess. Im not going to tow anything down the road unless it is an extreme emergency. Just got to thinkin about it the other day when a fellow was in the ditch and me and the other guy with a Z71 had nothing to pull him out with.

Thx for all the advice guys like I said we used log chains on the farm to jerk everything out but was looking for yalls opinion on all available options.

Steve

cableguy0 12-29-2004 09:51 PM

log chain never use a strap again. broke 5 of em in the matter of 20 minutes . would much rather trust a piece of metal than some dinky ass piece of fiber. good chain will last a long time and not break. nothing is exactly safe except a winch in one of those situations.the best bet is to just stay the f@#k outta the way

67_SS396 12-30-2004 01:40 AM

Most of the off road parks around here won't let you use chains or straps with hooks. I have a line on some of the straps that the railroad uses, they are 6" wide and will handle whatever I can throw at it. I'm slowly saving my nickels and dimes for a winch this summer, that way I typically won't have to worry about having someone around to pull me out.

784X4GUY 12-30-2004 01:57 AM

Yes very good reason there 67SS I can't wait till im able to get me one...Later Mike

Destructo 12-30-2004 07:17 PM

I traded my suzuki samurai for the winch I got, kinda wish I hadn't now, but I think it was a good trade.

Stomper_1_Ton 01-01-2005 02:56 PM

Here is a reminder of what can go wrong when using tow straps incorrectly.....It only takes one time:(

Accident this fall