The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   PLEASE HELP With Q-Forms Kick Panels! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=194970)

ARAMP1 04-03-2006 06:19 PM

PLEASE HELP With Q-Forms Kick Panels!

I got a set of Q-Forms kick panel replacements and I’m having a bit of trouble with the install.

On the drivers side, the parking brake pedal is WAY too close and hits the speaker. I’ve thought about moving it over about two inches to clear.

On the passenger’s side, there’s the cold air vent. I have a Silverado with the deluxe interior and I figured that I could just use the base model vent because it doesn’t have an attached kick panel. Well, I bought a base model vent and it is just too big. I’m wanting to know how anyone modified the Q-Forms panel or the stock panel to make these work.

Please help!

ARAMP1 04-03-2006 10:27 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP With Q-Forms Kick Panels!

TTT...anyone?

piecesparts 04-03-2006 10:44 PM

Close up the air vent and forget it, and move the brake pedal, or get a hand brake to replace it. It should work

swervin ervin 04-03-2006 11:09 PM

I have Q-forms and didn't have any problems installing them. Do you have the correct year forms for your truck?

ARAMP1 04-03-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swervin ervin
I have Q-forms and didn't have any problems installing them. Do you have the correct year forms for your truck?

Interesting. How did you do the passenger side vent? Got any pics? I'll probably just cut the origional one out and go from there. I decided to re-check and I got part number QL-K1006 which is supposed to be for 80-91 truck and I've got a 90 (crew cab) My truck should be same as the blazer/suburban (and the same as you're 85) which is what these fit.

swervin ervin 04-04-2006 12:09 AM

Yeah, the K1006 is what I have. Do you have a AC truck. These forms are designed to work with the AC vent, not the regular pull open vent. I think. As for the park brake hitting, you might need to adjust your cables so the pedal doesn't go so low. I can set my brake and the pedal is right above the form or grille without hitting. If I push down really hard, yes it would hit some.

I didn't need to modify anything to make them work. Just dyed them to match my interior color (which is black like my forms were), installed my speakers and put them in.

ARAMP1 04-04-2006 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What did you do with the vent on the passenger side?

Yeah, I have AC. The vent is the same, except the AC trucks had a vacuum operated vent and the non-AC trucks had a pull knob. The kickpanels were the same (although if you had AC, and hence the vacuum operated vent, you got a chrome button to snap in the hole where the bull knob would go.

You can see in the first pic there is the base model vent on top and the deluxe model vent (with kickpanel) on bottom and the Q-Form on the left. The next picture is of the Q Form on top of the stock panel. They really don't line up.

chevyjr73 04-04-2006 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i didn't have any problems installing my kickpanels at all. i did have the same problem with the parking brake hitting the speaker. my solution was to remove the piece of rubber off the parking brake foot lever and it gives just enough room to slide by. hope they work out for ya.

ARAMP1 04-04-2006 03:01 PM

Hey CHEVYJR73,
It looks like you installed the Q-Form kick panel OVER the stock kickpanel. Am I right? Did you do it that way on both sides?

chevyjr73 04-04-2006 06:46 PM

yes i installed mine over the stock kickpanels

chevyjr73 04-04-2006 06:51 PM

just to be sure i went on qlogic's website and the installation instructions for the kickpanels do in fact say that they are installed overtop of the factory kickpanels.

ARAMP1 04-04-2006 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyjr73
just to be sure i went on qlogic's website and the installation instructions for the kickpanels do in fact say that they are installed overtop of the factory kickpanels.

Damn, they sure as hell are supposed to go on top! Wow! Thanks! I don't know what I'm going to do now. Here's a pic of 84PUMPKIN's panel that is against the metal.

dx2995 04-04-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARAMP1
Damn, they sure as hell are supposed to go on top! Wow! Thanks! I don't know what I'm going to do now. Here's a pic of 84PUMPKIN's panel that is against the metal.

Were did he get that kick panel?

ARAMP1 04-04-2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dx2995
Were did he get that kick panel?

Not sure where he got his, but I got mine at CarDomain for 129.95+9.95 shipping.

ARAMP1 04-04-2006 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I really don't like the way they fit over the stock kick panels, so I've decided to mount the driverside Q-Form directly to the metal. The problem with the passenger side is the vent. I've modified the origional panel to use only the vent and I'll mount the Q-Form directly to the metal. Here is a pic of the before and after (and painted)

obsesive23 04-05-2006 01:25 AM

Looks good

SmittySmith 04-05-2006 02:58 PM

Is there any way you could put an offset bushing on the top of the emergency brake pedal to give it some offset, maybe 1/2 inch or what it needs to clear. That way you could keep the stock pedal, or you might could mod the pedal arm with a z-bend to give you the clearance... just some thoughts.

~Smitty

ARAMP1 04-05-2006 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittySmith
Is there any way you could put an offset bushing on the top of the emergency brake pedal to give it some offset, maybe 1/2 inch or what it needs to clear. That way you could keep the stock pedal, or you might could mod the pedal arm with a z-bend to give you the clearance... just some thoughts.

~Smitty

Smitty,
I was planing on spacing the pedal over with a couple washers or something. I had thought about re-drilling the holes in the firewall and moving it over, but with the fuse box there, there isn't really enough room. The plan right now is to take the flat metal part of the pedal off and re-weld it towards the left side of the metal. That way, it effectively sticks over to the right.

dx2995 04-05-2006 04:46 PM

What size speaker will the kick panels hold?

ARAMP1 04-05-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dx2995
What size speaker will the kick panels hold?

Definitely NOT a 6.25" speaker. See here.

SmittySmith 04-05-2006 10:30 PM

That sounds like a good plan to me if it's just the flat metal part that is hitting, it would be a cool mod too since you would retain the original flat metal part and the rubber pedal giving it the semi-original but unique look.
I'd like to see a pic when you get it done.

~Smitty

phantom dually 04-05-2006 11:36 PM

Most Q forms will hold a 5.25" max. Add some sound deadner behind the panels to get better midbass.

ARAMP1 04-06-2006 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I re-welded the parking brake pedal over to the right. It moved about an inch! I'm waiting for the paint to dry right now, but that should help with the clearance issues.

PHOENIX 06-22-2006 06:20 PM

I found this searching. Any updated pictures of the install?

TEAM THC 06-22-2006 07:42 PM

Those Look Good! How Do They Sound?