The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Another rebuild thread... Starting my first truck! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=201052)

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 04:46 PM

Another rebuild thread... Starting my first truck!

5 Attachment(s)
I just started using this site :new: and I've already found you guys to be very helpful. I have a 71 Cheyenne that has been my daily driver for about 3 years now. My plan is to do a frame off restore on it this fall when I finish grad school (July 20th is not too far away!!!). I will be doing the rebuild either in Nashville, TN or Augusta, GA or Winston-Salem, NC. I have been buying parts for a while now, so I just need to figure out where I can tear it down and put it back together. If anyone lives around these areas, let me know. I would love to rent some garage space and get some advice.

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 04:51 PM

Re: Another rebuild thread... Starting my first truck!

5 Attachment(s)
She's not in too bad of condition. The rockers and the cab corners are rusted through, but most of the other rust is surface.

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 04:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The interior.

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 04:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
the last picts for now.

zeeklu 05-30-2006 05:02 PM

Looks like a good truck to start with. Good Luck, Chris

Daubs 05-30-2006 05:07 PM

:agree:

Looks like a very good truck to start with!

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 05:09 PM

It's in pretty good shape, but from what I've seen from other rebuild threads, I have a lot of work ahead of me!

Bob Moore 05-30-2006 05:12 PM

Wow!! What a nice truck. Headliner, AC, and AM/FM. Quite a nicely optioned truck. If you want to replace the radio with an up to date system(as a lot of younger people like to do) please put me 1st in line for the AM/FM.

Again - nice truck - Bob

71Cheyenner 05-30-2006 05:17 PM

Thanks Bob,

I'll let you know if I decide to replace the radio.

David

Ron 586 05-30-2006 07:50 PM

Welcome to the board from West Tennessee. Nice project truck you have. That's quite a range of locations to pick from for your project rebuild. Got to be a story in there somewhere.

truckdude239 05-30-2006 07:52 PM

hey dude i live in winston-salem, nc aint got no space (live in an apartment) but if you do it here let me know be mor e then happy to lean a hand

wazooz2424 05-30-2006 07:53 PM

and i want second dibs on that OEM radio!!!!!!!!!!!!

TugOwar 05-30-2006 08:13 PM

WOW! Very nice truck! And :welcome2: from South Texas!

Chevrolet4x4s 05-30-2006 08:30 PM

Welcome from WestVirginia.......awesome truck....are you going to repaint it?The paint looks almost perfect.
Shane

Longhorn Man 05-30-2006 09:34 PM

if it wasn't for the rockers and cab corners, I'd say just wax the sucker and go!
Good looking truck you got there.

Chevrolet4x4s 05-30-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
if it wasn't for the rockers and cab corners, I'd say just wax the sucker and go!
Good looking truck you got there.

I agree........If you can find a talanted painter and get a paint match I would leave as much original paint as possible.just my$.02
Shane

Billla 05-30-2006 10:03 PM

She's a beauty! I like the original hubcaps!

truckdude239 05-31-2006 07:38 AM

heres a ttt for you

Palf70Step 05-31-2006 07:49 AM

Truck looks really nice. Good luck with the overhaul/resto.

71Cheyenner 05-31-2006 10:01 AM

Ron - The story is that I'm finishing graduate school at Vanderbilt this summer and planning to move to North Carolina. I have been in school for the last 6 years working on my PhD, so I am taking a long vacation (6-8 months). During that time I plan on rebuilding the truck. Since we live in Nashville now I could start it here and finish it in NC. My wife's family is in Winston-Salem so that is also a possibility as is Augusta, GA where my family is located. This is very much a learning process for me. The only other ride I have restored is a 68 VW Karmann Ghia.

Shane - The paint looks better in the pictures than in real life!!! Plus, the goal for the truck is to make it a show truck. I have spent a lot of time and money on Ebay in the last year buying NOS parts and I'm still not done yet!!!

72CSTC5 05-31-2006 07:42 PM

Sell that long bed to someone and make it a shortbed. Nice "parts truck". Let the flaming begin!!

LawMan02 05-31-2006 08:08 PM

Very nice long bed. Welcome from the Bayou State!!!

nutsforchevys 05-31-2006 08:19 PM

I have got a 72 that looks just like yours. I thought about changing colors but a local fellow had his painted with several coats of clear coat and that truck looks awsome. The Ocre and white really looks good!!

JRB 05-31-2006 08:21 PM

First of all welcome to the site, I noticed some rust in the kick panel just below your vent. You may want to look inside of the vent opening in front of the windshield and make sure you haven't got any rust holes inside of the vent that runs down to the vent in that kick panel. you can also look up above the steering column from below and see if there is any rust holes up there. The only reason I say this is because I found some holes like that in my 69 and they are tough to get to. The truck looks great. Good luck on your Project.
JRB

Green Machine 05-31-2006 08:32 PM

Looks like you have a real solid truck there, nice....... Looks to me like you could get by with some basic repair, but if you do the whole resto, that will be one perfect truck. I like.