The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Harborfreight.com (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=203315)

Tynee 06-21-2006 01:44 PM

Harborfreight.com

So, I ordered an el cheapo tool from Harborfreight.com on the 6th of June. When I ordered, the website told me to look for delivery in 7-10 days. Allowing 10 business days would have been yesterday. No tool, so I go to their website to check the order status. After entering the order number, the site returns a result that my order number is not in the system. So I called them early this morning at the phone number listed on the receipt I printed. The woman that answered there listened politely to my entire story, then told me I had to call their customer service number between 9:00 and 5:30. Fine, so I call the number she gives me, who proceeds to interrupt me in the middle of a sentence to ask for my order number. I finish my sentence, then give him my order number, and he asks if I'm some other guy. I tell him that's not me, we go through a bunch of verification, and he tells me it's backordered until June 14th. When I ask how reliable the backorder dates are, he says "50/50."

1)Why didn't the website tell me the item was backordered when I ordered it?
2)Why did I have to check back with them to find out it was backordered, an especially interesting question in light of the fact that I received a card in the mail shortly after placing my order thanking me for the order.
3)Why wasn't my order number in the system when I checked it on the website?
4)Why did I have to call a number on the receipt to get the customer service phone number?
5)Burns me up when people lack courtesy, which the Indian gentleman certainly did when he interrupted me mid-sentence (don't even get me started on another American job being lost to India).
5)Why are the backorder dates only 50% reliable?

Long story Short, not real happy with Harborfreight.com

Ron 586 06-21-2006 05:09 PM

Re: Harborfreight.com

Thanks for the heads up. I have never bought anything from them but had been reading favorable post saying that their cheep tools hold up better than some others. I have bought a lot of stuff from Northern Industries and so far have no complaints. Guess I'll just stick with what I know.

Tynee 06-21-2006 05:34 PM

Its my first experience with Harbor freight overall as well as Harborfreight.com. Its my understanding from my conversation later today with a store employee that the management isn't the same. The website is owned by a different company than the store.

glock35ipsc 06-21-2006 05:48 PM

Although Northerntool.com sells the same stuff as Harbor Freight (just with their labeling and packaging), they have much better and faster service. And, as usual, that employee doesn't know much. They are the same company, ran by the same CEO, Eric Smidt, but the mail/web order sales is a different division from the store front sales, as would be expected.

Also, Grizzly Industrial sells alot of the exact items as far as machinery and electrical.

gldevall 06-21-2006 06:05 PM

SH!T I just ordered something from HF.com last week. LEt me check to see what is going on with it.

pound41 06-21-2006 06:13 PM

Thats too bad luckily I have a harborfreight store near by but I will tell you this many companys have their customer service in india. I had trouble with my dell laptop and I spoke to 3 different people on 3 different occassions with very thick indian accents that sounded like we were on a can and string it was tough

glock35ipsc 06-21-2006 06:22 PM

pound41 - Next time you need to talk to Dell customer service, go to their website and use their chat feature! I have had to do this for our work computers several times in the last couple of months, and everytime i get a good ol boy in either Oklahoma or Texas!!

If you don't need your stuff in a hurry, and don't have a store nearby, go for it. But, northerntool.com has the same stuff with WAAAAY better service!

bagged69c10 06-21-2006 06:23 PM

I just hang up if I cant understand what the hell they are saying.

jamie72 06-21-2006 07:45 PM

that sucks i got some stuff ordered right now....

Tynee 06-21-2006 09:16 PM

unfortunately, neither the store, nor Northern had the particular item I was interested in.

gldevall 06-21-2006 10:08 PM

I went to the store to get what I wanted and they told me it was available online only. Website shows it shipped 6/16/06.

Pillow 06-26-2006 12:01 AM

Unfortunately most of the Northern and HF tools are made in China / Taiwan junk. Might be good for one or two jobs and then break.

Cry once and get the good stuff.

Just my $.02

glock35ipsc 06-26-2006 08:03 AM

If you stay away from the electrical stuff, you are generally OK. I have a vertical mill and a large lathe I got from them almost 10 years ago that are both still as tight as the ones I use at work. I also have metal brakes, shears, and others that are still working great.

I can kill a Chicago Electric 4.5" grinder in under an hour though!

gldevall 06-26-2006 08:53 AM

Parts showed up Saturday. 8 days from CA not too bad. Came parcel post.

Billla 06-26-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
I can kill a Chicago Electric 4.5" grinder in under an hour though!

Yeah, that's kind of been my experience. I have some stuff from HB (we have a store in Everett) but I find generally that it's junk. Useful junk in some cases, but junk :)

Tynee 06-26-2006 09:38 AM

Yeah, but if the tool, or instrument in this case, is a one-use-per-year type of item, then there's no reason to go track down the Snap-On man and take out a second mortgage to buy it when you can buy the HF version for $100.

Perfect example: I needed a 1-7/8" socket for a single use application. I weighed my options, I could run down to the local tool emporium and pay $35 for the 12 piece 3/4" drive socket set w/ratchet and breaker bar, or I could pay $200 (IIRC) for a Snap-On socket to match my 1/2" drive set. I chose the tool emporium set, and I changed my ball joints or whatever I was working on and haven't opened that set again.

BowTieOgre 06-26-2006 10:16 AM

Im thinking of buying a compressor and some air tools in the near future and im on a budget...should I steer clear of Harbor Freight? I will be teaching myself to use them so i was going to go cheap at first and later on get some good tools when i get better. Is my logic flawed, should I buy quality right out of the gate?

gldevall 06-26-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowTieOgre
Im thinking of buying a compressor and some air tools in the near future and im on a budget...should I steer clear of Harbor Freight? I will be teaching myself to use them so i was going to go cheap at first and later on get some good tools when i get better. Is my logic flawed, should I buy quality right out of the gate?

Craftsman compressor. Good and not too expensive.

Billla 06-26-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee
Yeah, but if the tool, or instrument in this case, is a one-use-per-year type of item, then there's no reason to go track down the Snap-On man and take out a second mortgage to buy it when you can buy the HF version for $100.

No disagreement; I have some of their stuff for exactly that reason. But at the same time, you also don't want to bust your knuckles on junk. I've busted a number of their impact sockets, and my Craftsman set has held up for a LONG time.

Billla 06-26-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowTieOgre

Ah, that is the question - to do without and save up for the good stuff or to buy something cheap :)

There isn't a good answer to this one. I used to say buy the best you can afford...but having done that I'm coming around to the way of thinking that you should get what you NEED...maybe not the best, but at least what you will need over a longer haul.

For a compressor, my experience has been that they're all pretty reliable - key point is to get one that can deliver the CFM - not PSI, CFM - that you need.

For tools, I've got some of the HB stuff and it's been OK...been through a couple of the high-speed grinders. The Husky stuff, made by CH and sold at Home Depot is pretty good - I've had their grinder for about a year now and it's been trouble-free.

All IMHO, of course :)

dennislbrooks 06-26-2006 04:09 PM

Just a suggestion on the air compressor. Just the delivery method is a nightmare - from HF. UPS actually rolled mine up end over end to the house from the truck. Near unrecognizable. Packaging was crap. I ended up buying a 60 gallon Husky - belt driven --- a good small shop compressor and quiet. A decent compressor will last you 30 years with routine service maintenance.

chevyboy55 06-27-2006 06:54 PM

Knock on wood I have never had a problem with Harbor Freight shipping. I have had to return a few things & they have always been real good. My thought is if you need to use it a lot then buy the good stuff,if you don't use it much, H.F. is fine.Although I did buy a 3/8" air drill & it was a piece of crap! if you push very hard when drilling it will stop it.

Tynee 07-14-2006 01:46 PM

SO, I talked to them again today, and they waited for me to contact them to update me on my order, again. See the transcript below:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Ellen Marie'
Ellen Marie: Hello How may I help you today?
Matt: Hi, My order # isn't found when I search the status.
Matt: I know that it was backordered when I checked it a moth ago.
Matt: # is 9902408
Ellen Marie: I will be right with you.
Ellen Marie: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Ellen Marie: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Ellen Marie: Your backorder 92514 LEAK DETECTOR - - was shipped on 07/14/06. Please allow 10-14 business days for delivery from the ship date. (Business days do not include weekends or holidays). The order will deliver no later than 08/3/06. Thank you for your patience.
Ellen Marie:
Ellen Marie:
Matt: Do you have a tracking number for the shipping?
Ellen Marie: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Ellen Marie: the package will be delivered by US Mail
Ellen Marie: My apologies.. there is not a tracking number for US Mail
Matt: Where did the package ship from today?
Ellen Marie: shipped form California
Matt: Ok, thank you.
Matt: One last ??
Ellen Marie: You're welcome.
Ellen Marie: Thank you for using Harbor Freight Online. Have a nice day.
Matt: What method did they ship? Frieght rate, or...?
Ellen Marie: It is not direct shipping. It is Harbor Freight Ship Method
Ellen Marie: We ship the best way possible. Orders are shipped from our warehouse via common carrier truck to a sorting hub. Once there, the packages are picked up and scanned and then delivered to you.
Ellen Marie: Most items will be delivered FedEx. * packages 8 pounds or less will ship US Mail
Ellen Marie: Most items over 151 lbs. will be delivered by a truck line .
Ellen Marie: goes out on a truck
Ellen Marie: the truck will go to a sorting hub
Ellen Marie: from there it will go out via US Mail to you
Ellen Marie: Please allow 10-14 business days for delivery from the ship date. (Business days do not include weekends or holidays).
Ellen Marie:
Matt: Thanks. Bye

So, in other words, it didn't really ship today. They are still in posession of it, its just sitting in a different facility within their organization. AAAARRRGGGGGHHHH.

I know you can get tracking numbers from USPS. I'm assuming it costs more to ship this way though.

boilrman 07-15-2006 09:26 AM

I have used Harbor Freight for sandblasting nozzles, sandblasting hood and a sandblaster. I am very pleased with the way all of it works. Of course in the process of trying to get the best deal for ceramic nozzles I looked to Ebay and found a package of 4 for $.99. Couldnt believe it. It was too good to be true. The ones HF sells, a tip will last me approx. 300# of sand, while the ones I purchased on Ebay barely made it through 100#. They are the best tips I have found and I get 12/pkg for $14 IIRC.

Tynee 07-24-2006 09:56 AM

Tool finally arrived on Friday. I used it on Saturday with less than stellar results. I knew the risk I was taking when I ordered a tool from them. I wish I had known the drama that was going to be involved in getting it for it to just kinda make me say, "it's okay, I guess."